MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipment to Italy was very quick. I was away for the holidays so I just picked it up from a DHL service point. Like Asta mentioned, no trace of customs, it must have been taken care of at the origin, which is very unusual. By the way, it's the opposite here. DHL is miles better than Fedex.

I noticed a lot of people stating no import fees. That means that Mondo likely covered them. If so, that is another factor for the price. I don't recall if paid shipping at checkout but whatever the total, subtract import tax and now doesn't seem so over priced

It's really surprising.

Nine days since delivery and no charge, though I keep expecting an email.

Same with my last Sideshow delivery by FedEx: 16 days and no charge. (In this case they may finally be respecting the fact that no cash changed hands for the item, as it was all reward points).

So MacReady was finally delivered today, and I wasn't too disappointed with what came out of the box!

I think my expectations were in the right place, knowing what Mondo has been capable of to date in this scale. In fact, I'd say it's a pretty decent offering considering most of what they produce in this scale are more cartoon or creature/fantasy based, with minimal or no soft goods. The sculpts are pretty solid, but the simplified paint apps don't do them justice. However, from a distance, and behind glass, it works. So far, my preference has been for the snowy sculpt.

The body they've used is indeed ridiculous, and feels like something they've repurposed rather than a new body produced just for this figure. I'll definitely be doing a body swap, as well as new hands, as that's another weak point for this release. The creatures are gorgeous, and the wardrobe is well tailored for the most part. A small diorama base would've really put this over the top, but maybe that is what's coming with the potential accessory pack?

All in all, I'm pretty darn satisfied with this, and relieved that, for me, it isn't anywhere near as bad as the thread was making it seem. Looking forward to see where Mondo will be with this scale in the next 3-5 years.

Last edited:
Wondering if the Wordlbox AT020 pro would be a better fit once it releases.
Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 01.30.00.png

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 01.30.54.png

So MacReady was finally delivered today, and I wasn't too disappointed with what came out of the box!

I think my expectations were in the right place, knowing what Mondo has been capable of to date in this scale. In fact, I'd say it's a pretty decent offering considering most of what they produce in this scale are more cartoon or creature/fantasy based, with minimal or no soft goods. The sculpts are pretty solid, but the simplified paint apps don't do them justice. However, from a distance, and behind glass, it works. So far, my preference has been for the snowy sculpt.

The body they've used is indeed ridiculous, and feels like something they've repurposed rather than a new body produced just for this figure. I'll definitely be doing a body swap, as well as new hands, as that's another weak point for this release. The creatures are gorgeous, and the wardrobe is well tailored for the most part. A small diorama base would've really put this over the top, but maybe that is what's coming with the potential accessory pack?

All in all, I'm pretty darn satisfied with this, and relieved that, for me, it isn't anywhere near as bad as the thread was making it seem. Looking forward to see where Mondo will be with this scale in the next 3-5 years.

Glad this finally arrived and even happier that you are HAPPY with it!

I opened my figure tonight as well, and can echo what several others have said. Body is not good of course. I had an acquaintance in high school who couldn't bend his arms straight, and that reminds me of this figure. He's got a constant Bushwacker arm pose.

Bushwackers_bio.jpg

Hands are clunky and stiff, reminiscent of older SSC hands, though not that bad.

I disagree with some in that I think the headsculpts and paint work are fine. A slight step down from SSC Ash but better than some of the GI Joes. Jacket is too small and the collar doesn't easily lay flat as others mentioned. Accessories are all decent. Guns and Flamethrower are totally acceptable.

Having said that, I was able to get him to hold his flamethrower, just barely, and at a distance it looks pretty good. Would be much better if I could get the collar to lay flat but I'm afraid of doing anything with the jacket, including water treatment, because it doesn't feel like particularly durable material.

There are two stars in this set. #1 is the crawling head spider. Thing is magnificent, and certainly helped make the cost of the timed exclusive justifiable.

#2 is the box. That thing ( :D ) is pretty amazing. Mondo does seem to be more presentation and style over substance, and that shows here. I am posting on my computer but will post some pics from my phone in a minute, including some examples of how he scales with obvious companion pieces.

I can't paint head sculpts but one simple improvement might be dry brushing the hair and beard with a lighter brown, to make it more accurate and add realism.

I've also been thinking about repainting the flamethrower - tanks, frame and the business end.

The kind of hard plastic they used combined with the paint really evokes the 1960s or 1970s GI Joe/Action Man flamethrower, and also their scuba tanks.

s-l1600.jpg

A repaint should eliminate the plasticky quality, as well as the rudimentary weathering they added.

Its a weird sculpt this one, not sure if I really like it or really dislike it. :dunno

The entire figure, besides the boots, looks like it was made in 2008.

The boots look like they were made in 2003. The only push/pull here is that MacReady is the kind of figure subject matter where parts sourcing would be pretty hard if you tried to customize this guy.

For a figure potentially over the 250 dollar mark, this is just unacceptable IMHO. It shouldn't take this much work by some here ( and much credit to them to try to upgrade this set with their skill and passion) to try to rebalance a figure that should have come already at a prestige level.

And I'm not usually this critical of figures period. I'm mostly pretty easy going on most figures. Does anyone see me running a microscope over figures all over this board? If I am going to gripe about something, I just want more weapons in every set. Even the accessories in this set are mediocre. How do you accomplish that at this stage of the current hobby? I took a gander at the artist list for this set, and yeah, not a surprise why the accessories are middling.

If the quality takes a generational loss of 15 plus years ago, that should IMHO put it squarely at about 5th gen in our "Golden Age of 1/6th" evolution. This is like going for a ride in a time machine, but not to go back to bang the cute girl in high school you should have taken a shot with, but instead you wake up being cornered in a prison shower.

To be fair, there are other Mondo sets that are pretty great. But this one is asking you to hold Vern Schillinger's pocket in the yard.

I was starting to run the film through to screen cap references for the flamethrower, and stopped at the point near the beginning when MacReady comes outside and puts his glasses on.

It gave me the idea that maybe dark glasses would improve the sculpt, because they'd eliminate the eyes that, to me, are contributing greatly to the daydreamer expression. I've tested a broken pair of glasses from a CraftOne Heat figure and painted the inside of the lenses black so they're still reflective on the outside.

While waiting for them to dry I was also thinking about the hair colour, which in the scene I stopped at was decidedly not dark brown.

Skipped forward to a better reference:

vlcsnap-2024-08-24-11h51m44s911.png

It's more of a gingery blonde, turning gold in the light. Looking at it I didn't know where to start, but remembered that Hot Toys has used gold in the past for blond/brown.

So I began by dry brushing the high points gold, then bronze to tone it down, and chestnut to tone that down. Finished with a light highlight of gold in select areas.

The photos were taken with the flash. In normal lighting and at normal scale it looks quite effective, and a huge change from the stock dark brown.

IMG_3691 Mondo MacReady repainted hair.JPG
IMG_3692 Mondo MacReady repainted hair.JPG
IMG_3693 Mondo MacReady repainted hair.JPG
IMG_3698 Mondo MacReady repainted hair.JPG

I just realised looking at my photos that the colour I ended up with is very similar to Mondo's eyebrow paint.

(I didn't touch the eyebrows at all).

Why did the factory switch from that to dark brown for the hair and beard? :unsure:

Maybe they got a good deal on dark brown paint? :lol

Clearance Event #6.....I really don't understand this and yet some are saying how great DHL is?????

The entire figure, besides the boots, looks like it was made in 2008.

The boots look like they were made in 2003. The only push/pull here is that MacReady is the kind of figure subject matter where parts sourcing would be pretty hard if you tried to customize this guy.

For a figure potentially over the 250 dollar mark, this is just unacceptable IMHO. It shouldn't take this much work by some here ( and much credit to them to try to upgrade this set with their skill and passion) to try to rebalance a figure that should have come already at a prestige level.

And I'm not usually this critical of figures period. I'm mostly pretty easy going on most figures. Does anyone see me running a microscope over figures all over this board? If I am going to gripe about something, I just want more weapons in every set. Even the accessories in this set are mediocre. How do you accomplish that at this stage of the current hobby? I took a gander at the artist list for this set, and yeah, not a surprise why the accessories are middling.

If the quality takes a generational loss of 15 plus years ago, that should IMHO put it squarely at about 5th gen in our "Golden Age of 1/6th" evolution. This is like going for a ride in a time machine, but not to go back to bang the cute girl in high school you should have taken a shot with, but instead you wake up being cornered in a prison shower.

To be fair, there are other Mondo sets that are pretty great. But this one is asking you to hold Vern Schillinger's pocket in the yard.

I was thinking while driving this morning about the good and bad elements of the figure itself.

1) For me it's essential to at least slim the body down so that it can function properly. That'll get you so far, but leaves you limited to posing his legs in a specific manner.

Ideally the body needs swapping for a slimmer one, which should preferably be shortened if you're bugged by actor height accuracy.

2) I haven't been happy with the sculpts since I first saw them in the box. It's a toss up whether the culprit is mostly paint or sculpting/expression. The hair colour being so dark may have been throwing it off more, because since lightening it I think I can seem more of Kurt coming out to play.

I think it's more the "did I leave the oven on or not?" expression. There's no fire or determination, or anything at all in the face, apart from the daydreamer.

Pinpointing the cause, I think it's the eyes. I tried the broken glasses on him and there may have been an improvement. Hard to tell as the glasses won't fit properly due to the strand of hair over his left eye.

3) The flight suit is passable, but the legs are too tight to blouse them over the boots so you don't get the correct silhouette. Ideally it would need changing for a roomier one.

4) The Shirt/T-shirt combo is fine.

5) I can live with the boots. I don't mind sculpted as long as they're sculpted with wrinkles and such.

6) The jacket, ironically, turned out to be a high point in the set. It was the one thing many of us assumed we'd be changing, but transferred to a slimmer body it revealed its potential. It has greater accuracy than the DID alternative and a nice fur collar. Weathering also brought it more to life.

7) The gun belt isn't accurate at all as they omitted the cartridge loops. The plastic holster looks cheap due to the paintwork.

8) The M2A1-7 flamethrower is a high point in that it's probably a rarity in 1/6. It's a pity that it looks so plasticky. It gives me the impression that parts of it aren't painted, but moulded in the final colour. i.e., they used green plastic and only painted the parts that weren't meant to be left green, then added simple weathering with a silver pen.

9) The shotgun and revolver are acceptable.

It gives you a base to work on, but not much of a base if you want screen accuracy.

I’m still pretty happy with the likeness on MacReady but am considering getting it repainted. It’s a million times better than the Plissken sculpt from Sideshow. Here’s mine with a body swap and replacement head. Waiting to have it painted but I’d also like to get my hands on Sean’s sculpt.View attachment IMG_0962.jpeg

Back