MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original Credit sheet handed out in some Picture Houses in August 82, good backdrop.

Attachments

• 20240718_101957.jpg
    20240718_101957.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I've started seeing Kurt in the sculpt since lightening the hair, so I thought I'd have a play with the macro mode and take some shots using different settings.

These were taken from a few inches away:

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

The frosty head is still a strange one to me, but there's more paint detail in the skin than I imagined. These sculpts are very dependent on having just the right lighting.

IMG_3939.JPG

From a little further back:

IMG_3924.JPG

This was the first one I took. To get the full figure in the macro was at it's limit, and the face is slightly blurred:

IMG_3923.JPG

And just because I love this thing:

IMG_3941.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

I definitely think a quick bit of dry brushing on the hair makes a big difference. Doesn’t show very well in the pics but looks much better in hand.View attachment 722522View attachment 722523View attachment 722524
Yours looks incredible. Out of curiosity how difficult is it to dry brush if I've never done it before? Do you know of any good resources on how to get started? Thanks for all the pictures you've posted and any advice you can give.

Yours looks incredible. Out of curiosity how difficult is it to dry brush if I've never done it before? Do you know of any good resources on how to get started? Thanks for all the pictures you've posted and any advice you can give.
It’s really easy. I use a water based paint. Apply some to a brush and dab most of it off onto some paper or card. Lightly brush it over the hair catching the high points on the sculpt. Apply it really lightly as you can always build the colour up with more brushing. Hope that helps.

It’s really easy. I use a water based paint. Apply some to a brush and dab most of it off onto some paper or card. Lightly brush it over the hair catching the high points on the sculpt. Apply it really lightly as you can always build the colour up with more brushing. Hope that helps.
Its a great place to start. Thanks!

I definitely think a quick bit of dry brushing on the hair makes a big difference. Doesn’t show very well in the pics but looks much better in hand.View attachment 722522View attachment 722523View attachment 722524

It definitely does make a big difference. It was only after lightening the hair that I could really start to see Kurt.

Room lighting also plays its part with this sculpt, otherwise the flesh can look very flat, shiny and lifeless, resembling earlier Sideshow style.

Yesterday finding the correct macro settings to photograph the sculpt was a revelation, seeing there was more paint detail than I thought.

Between the warmer and cooler settings - I think on the camera it was the 'Tungsten' setting that gave the warmer effect, and 'Fluorescent' the cooler - it's the latter that produced the closest impression of the how he looks to the eye. Except that the 'freckles' are so subtle that I don't see them in hand.

530961-IMG-3936.JPG

530960-IMG-3935.JPG

I have him displayed on top of a Detolf now - the Detolf isn't raised on anything - and with the room lighting and his head turned slightly to his right, it's unmistakably Kurt Russell.

This figure has been such an enigma, but the rollercoaster has thankfully come to rest at a high point.

It took work to get there, but it was fun ride unlocking the hidden potential. The quality of the jacket was the biggest surprise.

Back