Mummy PF SSE Limited to 50: SS Lottery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe they could do it on special items like this that are in stock and ready to ship at the time they are announced. Very few people would place an order for an in stock item unless they definitely wanted it. Who is going to fork over $400 for an in stock item with an unknown edition size except for the true collectors who want it no matter what?

The funny thing is that the people who really want this thing could probably care less about the ES--they just want one of every SSE item and don't really care how many other people have one, as long as they get theirs.

Agent0028 said:
I've heard of the show but never saw it, nor have I heard the line, but I'm glad I hadn't, because the way you presented it made me laugh. And there are precious few times that I actually laugh outloud while on line. Although most of them do occur on this board...
Sorry to go off topic, but this classic show is coming out this spring on DVD, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Now, back on topic, I am not sure whether I like the idea of keeping the ES hidden. My problem is that I often think to myself "Self ;), there are X number of the SSE Mummy, and no low quantity alert yet, so I can slip this piece to next months collectibles budget." Without knowing the ES, I could still get the piece, but it might create more of an immediate financial strain that way.

RoboDad said:
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Still one of my fondest shows even after all these years and the episode you quoted my most favorite. Remember also that there was a live narration on air during it and it parodied the Hindenberg narration.

Sorry.....OT trip down memory lane. Back to regular programming.

RoboDad said:
I am not sure whether I like the idea of keeping the ES hidden. My problem is that I often think to myself "Self ;), there are X number of the SSE Mummy, and no low quantity alert yet, so I can slip this piece to next months collectibles budget." Without knowing the ES, I could still get the piece, but it might create more of an immediate financial strain that way.

Well, this method works for fans of the line who would not blink twice because this is what their main focus is on. People like you and me are up a creek and that's alright. Let the core SSE collectors get theirs with a bonus of a low ES. :)

I definitely factor the edition size into my planning and budgeting, as RoboDad was saying. But I am thinking that in the case of an item that is limited to 50 pieces, no matter what they do it isn't going to be around long enough for that kind of consideration. If they kept it a secret all of the time I wouldn't like it at all. But when it is an ultra-limited item, it might be a possibility.

I fall into that category of people who would miss out for the same reasons as RoboDad, SLF, and Tom, but like was said before, at least the people who definitely want it the most would get it. As for the low quantity alert itself...the SOCOM guy was never listed as low quantity in the newsletter (unless I missed it somehow, I suppose I should check) and now he is sold out.*

Personally I would be completely okay if no ES's were announced until the item was sold out for all products on all lines. Although it's possible if that actually happens I'll change my mind if there is some unforseen consequence. Too tired to think it all out.

*Off topic gift card rant: I was waiting hoping he would come in stock before selling out so I could use my gift card. And to make things worse I never got any sort of a shipping soon on my dress blues Ermey (I was going to cancel and re-order when he was in stock if he didn't sell out to use the bloody card) and now he's on his way. Poof, no warning. These darn cards feel like a punishment for pre-ordering.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled postings. ;)

SolidLiquidFox said:
Well, this method works for fans of the line who would not blink twice because this is what their main focus is on. People like you and me are up a creek and that's alright. Let the core SSE collectors get theirs with a bonus of a low ES. :)
Yeah, and that's my big problem. I am a core collector, just of too many lines. Trying to juggle that many budgets is... stressful. :computer ;)

tomandshell said:
I think Dave has the best solution. Just put up the SSE Mummy with no mention of an edition size. The only people who care and place an order are the true fans who honestly want it in their collection. Everybody else ignores it.

Then when they sell 50, the product is updated as sold out. Everybody else then says, "What?!? If I had known it was going to be rare and valuable I would have bought one to trade or flip!!" Knowing in advance that there will only be 50 draws in a ton of people who have no intention of keeping it in their collection. I say that you just put it up for sale and let the extremely low edition size be a big surprise to the real collectors and SSE completists who made a point to get their order in while everybody else ignored it because of the TBA edition size.

The only problem I see potentially would be on SS's part. I think to a certain degree and on certain items they might "need" the buzz. Generating a frenzy is good and ensures a sell-out when some items may not otherwise have been considered. Probably not in the case of an ES of 50, but I could see this for an item of 150-200 (i.e. Tremors Maquette).

I am not in any way faulting SS for this either, of course they should be drumming up business, the collectibles market is quite saturated. The only concern I have is in the delicate balance between satifying collectors with low ES and making a profit that they don't alienate their core clientale.

darth dyp**** said:
I just hope they do something different than the lottery, or have a higher ES for the Bride SSE...Or, there WILL be trouble!!!:emperor
If the edition size is the same as the Mummy expect a similar edition size as The Mummy for the SSE.

I guess today is when my impatient self starts refreshing my account page every so often for 3 days :monkey4

occulum said:
I guess today is when my impatient self starts refreshing my account page every so often for 3 days :monkey4

I say wait until tonight to check for sure. I think after the holiday the SS team may need a bit to sort this out.

I have a feeling there were a LOT of entries to the lottery. So you may be right, it may take them a while to sort through them and pick the "winners."

Unfortunately, that is also probably a good indicator that none of us will "win."

just imagine if it took the route of the Spideys and the first 25 wre MIA and it then seemed the lottery was really for only 25 :mummy

occulum said:
just imagine if it took the route of the Spideys and the first 25 wre MIA and it then seemed the lottery was really for only 25 :mummy
:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

I just checked my online account and no order in there for me. Sideshow's closed so guess we'll have to wait until tommorow...

Somebody be sure and post here as soon as you hear anything or see a new order posted to your account. I am getting anxious for all of our poor SSE collectors out there. Let's get the bad/good news over with already!

man its wearing me out a little. :lol
Im going to be very :monkey2 if i dont get one, but I refuse to pay over retail. (with the exception of the extra shipping if a fellow board member graciously offers me one :eek: )

Back