OFFICIAL SPOOKTACULAR 2010 Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you distrustful of the QR code readers on all of those phones?

Not distrustful, but rather cautious. Example...

Do a google search for "web based proxy", you should be able to find a proxy that your IT department hasn't blocked.

Say your work has the QR links SS put out blocked or the server to those sites crashes because of some first to win contest. You basically have to rely on google to find you another "random" QR site, one thats hopefully trustworthy. Unfortunately ups or fed ex or some other 'name brand' don't provide such a service. So you're pretty much playing it by chance with a few of these sites. Thats what I don't like about this idea. Safety was my concern here.

Plus those w/o smart phones are pretty much going to lose out when it comes to quickness.

I just found one on my iPhone apps and it worked fine. Tested it on both codes in the kit. They take u to the same spot telling u that u have 400 points coming. You just have to copy and paste the link into your phone browser.

I have usual work and school duties, even an exam in A&P on the 27th. But I will try to be present whenever I can. Oh, and I forgot. Front row tickets for Phantom of the Opera on the 30th too! Can't wait for that. I'm happy I am no longer after any super exclusive items, like SSEs. Makes for a much more enjoyable relaxing Spook.

Is this show a Big Show at one of the major hotels?

I just found one on my iPhone apps and it worked fine. Tested it on both codes in the kit. They take u to the same spot telling u that u have 400 points coming. You just have to copy and paste the link into your phone browser.

Curious to how that works, it dosen't ask you to login to your SS account? Just "you have 400 points coming?" Does clicking on that link initialize the process of the points to your account?

Do a google search for "web based proxy", you should be able to find a proxy that your IT department hasn't blocked.

That is a great idea, although our network team would find this out and then some one like me would have to investigate and probably have your fired. Just becareful trying to work around the rules as I enforce the rules at our employment and would like to find a way around it myself.

Curious to how that works, it dosen't ask you to login to your SS account? Just "you have 400 points coming?" Does clicking on that link initialize the process of the points to your account?

I would be very surprised if clicking the link initiated the process. It is probably just a way to I inform you of the points. I would think actually buying the kit gives you the points.

Not distrustful, but rather cautious. Example...

Say your work has the QR links SS put out blocked or the server to those sites crashes because of some first to win contest. You basically have to rely on google to find you another "random" QR site, one thats hopefully trustworthy. Unfortunately ups or fed ex or some other 'name brand' don't provide such a service. So you're pretty much playing it by chance with a few of these sites. Thats what I don't like about this idea. Safety was my concern here.

Plus those w/o smart phones are pretty much going to lose out when it comes to quickness.

Honestly, man, using hot keys, you can copy and paste the link into one of the QR sites faster than the phones can do it. Other than fear of change, I'm not getting what the hassle is. :huh

What is the app called?

The app is called digit-eyes lite.

I didn't log into my account. I'm sure they'll have a print out of who ordered it and will place those into our accounts.

Honestly, man, using hot keys, you can copy and paste the link into one of the QR sites faster than the phones can do it. Other than fear of change, I'm not getting what the hassle is

With some of them you have to save the picture and rely on it to quickly upload. SP app is just a quick scan of the computer screen. Plus (DL) phone apps don't crash like sites, and they can't be blocked by your works comp. I'd say advantage SP. But anyways, I doubt they'll put the best deals via those QR things.

Last edited:
A bunch of kids just rang my doorbell and yelled "Trick or treat!!!"

I stood there dumbfounded for a second before saying "Your costumes are too ugly" and then shut the door.

What the hell? :cuckoo:

I still don't get it. Are you afraid that some "random" QR site will give you a virus or something?

I don't get your safety concern. QR code readers don't ask for any personal information. If your concern is with the sites hosting them downloading malware, or planting an unwanted cookie, then I would counter that you need a better browser (i.e., one that doesn't have "Microsoft" as part of its name). Any competent browser can be configured, either directly or through extensions, to protect you from such incursions.

Wanna bet? :) Seriously, I'll take any time challenge against a smart phone that anyone wants to offer. I am 99% positive I'll win every time.

With some of them you have to save the picture and rely on it to quickly upload. SP app is just a quick scan of the computer screen. Plus (DL) phone apps don't crash like sites, and they can't be blocked by your works comp. I'd say advantage SP. But anyways, I doubt they'll put the best deals via those QR things.
Quickly upload?? A typical QR image file is about 3KB in size. Uploading it will take less than a tenth of a second, even on a very slow connection. You just seem to be going way out of your way to try to pick apart the QR code system, but you clearly don't have any basis for any of your concerns.

I have a smartphone and I'll be scanning any and all QR codes on the computer. It's just faster and more convenient that way.

Oh yeah, supposed to be the biggest production of Phantom. I've never seen it, so I'm pretty stoked to be in the front row. It's at the Venetian.

Saw it three times with different people at different places, and loved it each time.

I have a smartphone and I'll be scanning any and all QR codes on the computer. It's just faster and more convenient that way.
Same here. I'm going to be keeping the ZXing decoder active in its own tab all the time. When I see a QR code, I'll simply right-click, "copy image location", bop over to the ZXing tab, paste, decode, and then, thanks to one of my Firefox extensions, I'll double-click on the text of the link, and select "Open link" from the menu that automatically pops up, and bam! I'm at the freebie/deal/clue page.

Same here. I'm going to be keeping the ZXing decoder active in its own tab all the time. When I see a QR code, I'll simply right-click, "copy image location", bop over to the ZXing tab, paste, decode, and then, thanks to one of my Firefox extensions, I'll double-click on the text of the link, and select "Open link" from the menu that automatically pops up, and bam! I'm at the freebie/deal/clue page.

WOW are you good--

Back