Playstation 3 Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm worried that my PS3 just took a turn for the worst. It turns on fine, but won't read any discs. I read some of you had this issue. Any advice on something I should try first before sending it to Sony? I read somewhere to restore the system back to factory settings (which I'm very skeptical about.)

Dude that happened to me a couple months back. I would put in a disc and nothing would happen. I have the original launch 60gb model. I thought it took a dump, scared the crap out of me. I got a can of compressed air and pretty much almost used the whole can to clean it out. After about 45 min it started to work again. Not sure if that was the fix but I didnt know what else to do and it worked. Good luck with yours.....

yesterday i finally got the cash together to get my ps3 fixed! took it to the repair shop-played WAW on the shops 50inch while i waited for my repair to be done!-it took all of half hour to fix the yellow light problem and cost me £80! A COMPLETE BARGAIN! -compared to giving SONY £145 and my £420 ps3 for one of their 'refurbished' replacements!

the repairman explained that overheating causes the soldered parts inside the ps3 to melt causing the problem! so he gave me a fan to place into the usb thats cools the ps3down as well as replacing the damaged parts!

Last edited:
Dude that happened to me a couple months back. I would put in a disc and nothing would happen. I have the original launch 60gb model. I thought it took a dump, scared the crap out of me. I got a can of compressed air and pretty much almost used the whole can to clean it out. After about 45 min it started to work again. Not sure if that was the fix but I didnt know what else to do and it worked. Good luck with yours.....

Hey, thanks for the reply! (I haven't been in this thread in a while.) I will definitely be sure to try it!!! I actually would be surprised if it worked. I'll get a can tomorrow.

Did you have to open up the system or did you just spray the air into the opening where the DVDs go?

A friend of mine and I each have a PS3. Mine is a year old (whenever the MSG version came out) and his is 6 months older or so.

Hes had to have his repaired twice: 1st time was covered since it died less than one year old. The 2nd is costing him $149 and comes with a 3 month warranty on the work only...

Not cool

Hes had to have his repaired twice: 1st time was covered since it died less than one year old. The 2nd is costing him $149 and comes with a 3 month warranty on the work only...

Same here. The first time I sent it in, they gave it back without fixing it. The second time, they exchanged it (under warranty). And this time, I paid $149 and got an exchange with a 90 warranty.

Same here. The first time I sent it in, they gave it back without fixing it. The second time, they exchanged it (under warranty). And this time, I paid $149 and got an exchange with a 90 warranty.

Every company has their issues, but for the hell MS gets for their 360s, PS3s are not without their faults too...Argh!

Every company has their issues, but for the hell MS gets for their 360s, PS3s are not without their faults too...Argh!

PS2 Failure rates were pretty bad. There was even a Recall on the original launch in Japan.

dont give your ps3 or your money to sony....find a cheaper alternative like i did.there must be a repair shop where u live somewhere?? mine cost half what sony wanted AND i got to keep my original ps3!!

Surprised no one mentioned the PS3 Slim announcement yet.

$299
With Wifi, Bluetooth, all that jazz
120GB hard drive, 2 USB's
some 30% smaller and lighter

will be out first week of Sept.

Yup, plus the bulkier PS3 will go on clearance...just like with the PS2s. I wouldn't put it past Sony to pull another "limited launch release" on the slim.

Apparently uses 1/3 less power too. If that's the case they should do some sort of trade in program for older systems.

I can either take that ^^^^ or you can give it to me willingly!
150px-Juggernaut.jpg

Back