Pokemon X & Y

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on my way to the 7th gym. I'm back!! :lol

Quick questions:

How will I know a shiny when I see one? I have some event pokemon that are shiny and they 'sparkle' when you first encounter them....will these guys do that? I can see the difference based on the photos you all have been posting recently, but honestly, it's really subtle, IMO. Meaning....I've probably encountered one in the wild and just passed it up because it looks so close. Is this the case????

Also, just found a person that will teach my pokemon old moves that they used to know. Is this new to X/Y?!?! Because this is awesome!!!! I know the learning tutor is old news to previous generations, but this lady is different....and I love it. :lol

Wb! and yes, shinies sparkle when you encounter them. some shinies are indeed harder to notice but when you have catched one or bred one and check the stats, you'll see a little red star which indicates that it's a shiny.

110513-shiny-greninja-twitter.jpg

and no that person you found is not new :p
good luck on your road!

I dunno what that is, but cool, never seen it. But then again I never seen a Pokemon that wasn't in the original 3, hah.

well it's a shiny Zorua :D
originaly its grey/red

Zorua_and_Zoroark.png

his evo is Zoroark

Wb! and yes, shinies sparkle when you encounter them. some shinies are indeed harder to notice but when you have catched one or bred one and check the stats, you'll see a little red star which indicates that it's a shiny.

110513-shiny-greninja-twitter.jpg

and no that person you found is not new :p
good luck on your road!

well it's a shiny Zorua :D
originaly its grey/red

Zorua_and_Zoroark.png

his evo is Zoroark

Good to know!!! :rock Thanks for the info!

Congrats on the Zorua!

lol thanks! sadly, i still have to hatch 5 boxes filled with eggs cause i cant release eggs you know :lol

I gotta read up on these shinies and egg hatchlings. You can only really encounter them in the wild right? Can you breed more? Besides the change in look do they have different move sets or higher stats?

nope, no different stats or attacks, just color.

you can encounter them in the wild randomly or get a device at the lab after you defeated the elite 4, that way you can chain link yourself to a shiny. whitch is not always easy.

the most famous technique though is the Matsuda Technique. get a pokemon (ditto) from another country and breed it with your pokemon and then you have 1 in a 1200 chance of getting a shiny. although in X/Y the number got a bit smaller. in the end its still all about luck. some get a shiny in 30 tries and others take more time. be patient...

nope, no different stats or attacks, just color.

you can encounter them in the wild randomly or get a device at the lab after you defeated the elite 4, that way you can chain link yourself to a shiny. whitch is not always easy.

the most famous technique though is the Matsuda Technique. get a pokemon (ditto) from another country and breed it with your pokemon and then you have 1 in a 1200 chance of getting a shiny. although in X/Y the number got a bit smaller. in the end its still all about luck. some get a shiny in 30 tries and others take more time. be patient...

How does this device work???

Oh so it's just a purely cosmetic anomaly. If they had higher stats or different move set I'd be after it! Looking forward to the new special poke one hidden in the game. Especially the water/fire one.

How does this device work???

its quite alot of explaining but it's called the pokéradar. First you charge it up by taking 50 steps. then use a repel so you dont encounter a wild pokemon when you step into the tall grass. when you're standing in the tall grass you use your radar and you'll see a few grass patches shaking, step into one of them, if its the pokemon you're looking for fight it or catch it (if its not just run and charge your radar again), after that some grass patches will shake again, look for the one that shaked the fastest and loudest (if you're not sure just avoid the grass that shaked and charge your radar again, you can repeat this without breaking your chain untill you're sure). that will most likely be the same pokemon and thats your first chain. after 40 chains the chance to encounter a shiny gets really high and when you do that grass patch will also glitter and voila.

maybe you should check this out :)
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/10/wanna-catch-your-pokmon-in-a-shiny-new-color-in-x-y-heres-how/

Oh so it's just a purely cosmetic anomaly. If they had higher stats or different move set I'd be after it! Looking forward to the new special poke one hidden in the game. Especially the water/fire one.

i find it an odd trio for legendaries. i mean they dont look too similar to eachother compared with the previous trio's :dunno

oh and now that you guys know about shinies. this may be funny to you now :lol

hCB3A56E3

its quite alot of explaining but it's called the pokéradar. First you charge it up by taking 50 steps. then use a repel so you dont encounter a wild pokemon when you step into the tall grass. when you're standing in the tall grass you use your radar and you'll see a few grass patches shaking, step into one of them, if its the pokemon you're looking for fight it or catch it (if its not just run and charge your radar again), after that some grass patches will shake again, look for the one that shaked the fastest and loudest (if you're not sure just avoid the grass that shaked and charge your radar again, you can repeat this without breaking your chain untill you're sure). that will most likely be the same pokemon and thats your first chain. after 40 chains the chance to encounter a shiny gets really high and when you do that grass patch will also glitter and voila.

maybe you should check this out :)
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/10/wanna-catch-your-pokmon-in-a-shiny-new-color-in-x-y-heres-how/

Thanks for the explanation!!! Will have to get that thing after the Elite 4.

i find it an odd trio for legendaries. i mean they dont look too similar to eachother compared with the previous trio's :dunno

oh and now that you guys know about shinies. this may be funny to you now :lol

hCB3A56E3

I get it...I think. :lol

The building isn't normal KFC colors, and thus like a shiny!!! :panic: :clap :yess: :lol

(Seriously though, I did laugh when I saw it. :lol)

just got a DS finally and looking to get Pokemon. how many of the originals are in this game? Also is Mew available or would i need sometype of hack or something crazy?
PS: Mew is my favorite that is why the random Pokemon lol.

just got a DS finally and looking to get Pokemon. how many of the originals are in this game? Also is Mew available or would i need sometype of hack or something crazy?
PS: Mew is my favorite that is why the random Pokemon lol.

Mewtwo is in it, but not Mew.

In terms of how many original Gen 1 pokemon are in it, I honestly don't know, but SO worth the buy. Definitely pick it up.

I was leaning toward Y myself. no reason really just seeing the covers and not really having any info to go on. same reason i picked RED way back in the day.

That's how I picked initially too. :lol Then it just so happened I really DID like Y better, so it worked out.

IVs stand for Individual Values. They are a hidden stat modifier that affects how many stat points you have in each stat. IVs go from 0-31. 0 is terrible and 31 is a perfect stat. Just for example you entered a battle with your pokemon charizard and blastoise, the enemy has a charizard and a horsea. They are all lv 50. Now you go into the battle thinking "A horsea? My charizard will wreck this little bastard. And another charizard? Hmph my Blastoise will destroy it!"

So you go into battle With your Charizard against The Horsea. You use Air slash and it does moderate damage to the horsea. Horsea retaliates with a surf attack, it 1 Hit KOs your charizard. You cant believe it, you think to yourself that even though horseas are a water type they aren't strong enough to kill a charizard in one hit. You send out blastoise and kill the horsea. So now youre pissed that the enemy killed your prized charizard and give their tard zard some Hydro pump love. Charizard survives the hit with about %20 hp left. You scream hacks. And the charizard uses earthquake and nearly kills your blastoise. you use aqua jet and kill the charizard and win. However youre still perplexed at how a weak pokemon managed to kill your charizard so easily while your superior water type didn't kill their fire type.

It is due to ivs. Your charizard has 0 special defense ivs while the opponent had 31. That's why the special atk surf did so much damage to your zard and why hydro pump didn't kill the enemy

IVs could add a difference of up to or even more than 100 stat points.

Natures and EVs also play a big part iin how many stat points you have.

Getting a full 31 iv pokemon is hard without hacking because you have to breed two compatible pokemon with 31 iv stats and hope for the best

Back