QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My criticism was less about the new sculpt than the prototype vs. final product change. In truth, such a change is a risk inherent to how all 1/6 scale figures are marketed and made. Hot Toys makes a point of blurring out heads that are not licensor-approved/final, which isn't necessarily a better solution because we see nothing at all, but it doesn't create false expectations. That said, I get that there's a push and pull between wanting to show something to generate interest and not wanting to show something that's not final.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to let Sulu's smirk deter me from supporting the line. I'm a captive customer. Getting a different Sulu than I was expecting is better than no Sulu at all. If Qmx doesn't make it now, it could be a long time, if ever, before I have another chance for a full 1/6 TOS bridge crew--barring an expensive custom. Just show a prototype that is closest to what customers will get (sculpt softening and factory paint notwithstanding) to minimize the bait-and-switch feeling that will put off non-captive customers.

It is far from subtle, as the eye is drawn right to it (for me, at least), as well as being far from representative of Sulu's personality in my opinion, and any facet of a sculpt that is noticeably off throws the likeness out, often considerably so. And as such I would argue that anything that diminishes the likeness in the way that this change does to my eyes is very definitely a dip in quality, regardless of the reasons behind why it has happened, or whether some may still find it 'good enough'. I also find it rather telling that there is hardly anyone saying that they prefer this new version of the sculpt, just people who are willing to accept the change in order to have Sulu on the shelf. Which is fine and perfectly valid, but still as I said, rather telling.

If you like it, that's great for you. But those of us that don't like it aren't being petty in our disappointment here. We wanted to like it, too. We would prefer to like it. Sadly, for us, we just don't.

It's not my opinion that anyone who does not like it is being petty...I think people who don't like it genuinely do not and have every right to feel that way. I personally prefer the non-smiling sculpt too...I would wager that everyone outside of whoever made the decision prefers the original version. Once again, however, the quality dip that you mention is largely subjective and comes down to your own feelings and interpretation of the Sulu character. I do not feel as strongly about those elements so I am actually happy with the new sculpt. Would have been HAPPIER with the other one...but still happy. It is important to draw that distinction. It would be more accurate to say that QMX changed the sculpt to make it less to your liking versus to claim a reduction in "quality."

It's not my opinion that anyone who does not like it is being petty...I think people who don't like it genuinely do not and have every right to feel that way. I personally prefer the non-smiling sculpt too...I would wager that everyone outside of whoever made the decision prefers the original version. Once again, however, the quality dip that you mention is largely subjective and comes down to your own feelings and interpretation of the Sulu character. I do not feel as strongly about those elements so I am actually happy with the new sculpt. Would have been HAPPIER with the other one...but still happy. It is important to draw that distinction. It would be more accurate to say that QMX changed the sculpt to make it less to your liking versus to claim a reduction in "quality."

Yeah this.

Yeah even though I kinda started it off, I do think the criticism has gotten a bit overblown in here. The smile may look a bit weird up close or from an angle, but straight on and from a distance it still looks pretty decent to me, and recognizable enough as Sulu. And I'd still rank it above the distractingly lumpy Spock or cartoonish Scotty. So I'm still looking forward to having him in my collection.

review_sulu_4.jpg

I stand by my opinion, including the dip on quality comment. Because to me likeness is very much part of the overall quality debate (to me likeness is the number one deciding factor of whether or not I buy any figure). And also, because to me the mouth area now looks decidedly unnatural and weird, and my eyes are drawn towards that whenever I look at this sculpt. And of course that's just my own personal opinion, because that's how opinions work. And I'll leave it at that. :)

I stand by my opinion, including the dip on quality comment. Because to me likeness is very much part of the overall quality debate (to me likeness is the number one deciding factor of whether or not I buy any figure). And also, because to me the mouth area now looks decidedly unnatural and weird, and my eyes are drawn towards that whenever I look at this sculpt. And of course that's just my own personal opinion, because that's how opinions work. And I'll leave it at that. :)

I feel the same way.

I'm sorry, but every time I see this new 'smirking' Sulu headsculpt, all I can think of Family Guy, and his flirtatious "Helloooooooo!".

"Oh...MY!"

I'm sorry, but every time I see this new 'smirking' Sulu headsculpt, all I can think of Family Guy, and his flirtatious "Helloooooooo!".

"Oh...MY!"

The new sculpt seems more catered to George Takei's media personality than the character of Sulu but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This sculpt would work for the Captain Sulu from Star Trek 6: The Undiscovered Country

In that case I am sorry that you will either not be able to complete or completely enjoy your 1/6 Star Trek figure collection. More than anything I am glad that the updated sculpt did not cross any red lines for me personally so I am fortunately not in the same boat.

I will most likely be picking up the Sulu figure but it won't be pre-ordered. I'll wait for the inevitable sale and if I miss out, it's not a biggie for me. I only wanted the big 3 initially and ended up pre-ordering Khan and Scotty because I liked how the figures turned out. I don't "need" this Sulu in my collection. Just not liking the production sculpt. As previously mentioned, that mouth sculpt is the turn-off. I see a "Howard the Duck" pucker with the lips...

I'll get Sulu, and include him with the rest -- because you just have to have Sulu. He'll be standing in the back row in the lineup -- with every effort made on my part to pose him so that the smirk is less-noticeable.

I've got the Mezco ONE:12 Sulu. One head sculpt is the serious face. The other is a smirk. I wish we had that option with QMX.

Back