QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may not be what was originally shown, but I think it still looks fine. Still looks like Sulu. And clearly QMX had to make the change per the license holder, so there’s no point overreacting like this is some horrible rendition of George Takei — which it isn’t. A real Bait & Switch would be Star Ace advertising a teen Hermione/Emma Watson and giving people a teen George Washington — which they did.

It may not be what was originally shown, but I think it still looks fine. Still looks like Sulu. And clearly QMX had to make the change per the license holder, so there’s no point overreacting like this is some horrible rendition of George Takei — which it isn’t. A real Bait & Switch would be Star Ace advertising a teen Hermione/Emma Watson and giving people a teen George Washington — which they did.

Yeah I agree. It does seem liked they missed an open goal when everyone on this forum expressed satisfaction with the most recent serious sculpt that seems to be in the box art. I suppose we'll never know what prompted the change but it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for the figure in the slightest. Like the review says, this is still the best Sulu that has ever been produced.

Well I guess that explains why QMx put these very dark pictures on their Facebook page the other day. So it was hard for people to see the difference. The funny thing is they said on their post that it turned out better than the prototype. This will be the 8th figure I'll have of from them, and it's by far the worst in my opinion. Hopefully it will look better in hand.
f4fe878441033f0f34d1e250f67a6887.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well I guess that explains why QMx put these very dark pictures on their Facebook page the other day. So it was hard for people to see the difference. The funny thing is they said on their post that it turned out better than the prototype. This will be the 8th figure I'll have of from them, and it's by far the worst in my opinion. Hopefully it will look better in hand.
f4fe878441033f0f34d1e250f67a6887.jpg

They all look cooler with more dramatic lighting!

Checked Nanjin's FB:

sul.jpg

sul 2.jpg

edit. wow there's a lot of compression on this site, hope you can read it. He didn't respond to the guy asking if it was management.

I'm sure that Nanjin still lurks around the page even though he doesn't post anymore. I hope he doesn't take this criticism personal. Without him this line wouldn't exist. But he's also asked people on FB before to give him feedback and be critical so he can improve figures going forward.

It still looks like a decent figure. I think the issue is that if you put the photos side by side and asked people to pick their favourite, nobody on this forum would have picked the smirking one as it looks slightly more unnatural, that's all. Curious...

If Qmx never released a picture of the 1st sculpt, I think everyone would of been happy with the second.
I think we are getting spoiled with the quality of today’s sculpts and expressions.
I’ll be honest, I’m just happy to get Sulu with a great likeness.

If Qmx never released a picture of the 1st sculpt, I think everyone would of been happy with the second.
I think we are getting spoiled with the quality of today’s sculpts and expressions.
I’ll be honest, I’m just happy to get Sulu with a great likeness.

Yeah, I'll be happy getting this figure for sure. The more I look at it, the better I like it.

That grin is going to look a bit out of place among all the other figures though (unless you count the evil little grin on Khan). Unless they're planning to have Uhura and Checkov smiling too to balance things out more, which I really hope they don't.

I think the prototype's facial expression did match the other crew members better and would have been my first choice too, but I'll be glad to have this Sulu join my crew.

I think anytime you do an expression other
then the neutral expression , it is a gamble.

With Scotty , he has the “ sour grape “ look which
was a risk that could have also went south and as for Sulu, I think
the fact is the artwork Head is better.

Sulu eyebrows changed and the smirk
sadly is the other change that throws
the likeness off

My custom Rand has a serious look. My friend said, "Christ! What did Kirk do? She looks furious!"

I told her it was her, "No Mr Spock, I did NOT enjoy being sexually assaulted, you *******," look.

I kitbashed my avatar mashing Yeoman Landon's judo, Rand's crazy head from Miri, and Kirk fighting the Gorn as an homage.

As far as Sulu's smirk goes, Kirk isn't exactly wearing his poker (or Fizbin) face.

I wish we could enlist one of these digital sculptors to start producing better custom heads for us, because frankly few of the QMX ones so far are really at the high level I'd prefer for Trek. And if I gotta pay an extra $80 for a better Spock or Sulu sculpt, then so be it.

i’m more of a TNG fan but i’m sure you could get Rocco or JNIX to do a custom, and generate enough interest here.

I believe Inigo is not an option since he’s worked for QMX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think once we have him in hand, Sulu will be pretty awesome. If people are unhappy, there are already alternate sculpts out there for some characters such as Sulu, such as on Warrior's Gate, which pre-date QMX. They look decent enough but I suppose it's the paint application that will make a difference.

Qmx heads are a bit bigger than standard though so you might need to have any older sculpts enlarged.

Ideally I want TMP figures so my my dilemma is whether to risk ruining the QMX Scotty sculpt with a moustache or commission a fresh one...

Back