Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek TOS Kirk and Spock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

What does it matter if it's plastic of fabric, as long as it looks exact? :dunno

In my ever so humble opinion, it matters if it ends up looking thick and clunky, as it appears to be on the photos posted.

But, again, if that's the way they will be, then so be it.
We will know how good or bad the final look is once we get them in hand, so let's just hope for the best, ey?

I don't even see these on there website . Can someone post a link ?

If anyone has high resolution (recent) photos, post them, because the low resolution images on BBTS's product pages are far too small to see any of these things in enough detail to warrant opening your mouth about them.

I forgot how **** Trekkies were......My god, people! It's just a show!!!

tvfvk.jpg

What's with the short temper guys?

There has been hardly any criticism of these figures, and most of it in very civil and constructive terms. Why all this spite?
Did all of you have a bad weekend or something?

I forgot how **** Trekkies were......My god, people! It's just a show!!!

If anyone has high resolution (recent) photos, post them, because the low resolution images on BBTS's product pages are far too small to see any of these things in enough detail to warrant opening your mouth about them.

Just look at the pretty pics on the first page PP.
I'm referring to those, as they are the only ones available so far.

If you have other pics, that give you an equal view into the detail and thickness of the braids, please do share; if not, then I'd suggest it is your assumptions that do not warrant opening your mouth...

Star Trek TOS can only be better under QMx production.

Awesome Nanjin, I hope the production run of these figures does all your hard work justice!
Are you overseeing any go the production process? If so, can you shed some light on it? It'd be great to hear from an insider.

I don't really see a problem with the arm braids at all. Yeah they're a bit thicker than they should be, but it's hardly the most crucial part of the costume or anything. And most of us barely noticed anything even in these super close-up shots, so looking at the figure in person or up on your shelf it'll probably be even less noticeable.

There has been hardly any criticism of these figures, and most of it in very civil and constructive terms.

Most of us have only been seeing whining about the clothing color, not constructive criticism - you're jumping in at the wrong time unfortunately.

As far as plastic being the only way to make the arm braids, that's a design decision, not a necessity because of the scale. There are likely half a dozen ways or more to more to tackle that detail - how to put it into production depends on who will be making the figure and how much they want to spend. The size can without question be handled with embroidery, heat transfer, die-cut fabric, paint, etc. Even thinner plastic. It's all been done before, this isn't any kind of pioneering production technology/process.

Last edited:

Most of us have only been seeing whining about the clothing color, not constructive criticism - you jumping in at the wrong time.

As far as plastic being the only way to make the arm braids, that's a design decision, not a necessity because of the scale. There are likely half a dozen ways or more to more to tackle that detail - how to put it into production depends on who will be making the figure and how much they want to spend. The size can without question be handled with embroidery, heat transfer, die-cut fabric, paint, etc. Even thinner plastic.

:exactly:

Constructive criticism is fine. Whining and carry on isn't. Someone will then ask that people lighten up, and then the attacks and moaning will start all over again.

Abake, I think you misunderstood, and like PP pointed out - jumped in at the wrong time. But a lot of threads follow a pattern, which is what I was saying. Generally, I find your posts positive and enjoy reading them. Even though I see your point about the braid, it doesn't bother me as much as you.

Last edited:

Is it possible that the braids were quickly cobbled together to be ready and have something for display in time for the New York toy fair but that the final product will be different?

Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

Is it possible that the braids were quickly cobbled together to be ready and have something for display in time for the New York toy fair but that the final product will be different?

I was experimenting with this process at the last minute. I was in a rush to leave the factory to go back to Hong Kong. Yes, we did it in a rush, and they are prototype only. The final version will be cheaper (typo, is thinner not cheaper). These braids are the hardest elements for TOS tunics. Same thing applies to the fabric, I wasn't satisfy with the original chosen fabric. So I went to the fabric outlet myself with Anxxxx Premium tunic as comparison reference. After about 7 hours of searching, I found the same "Double Knit" fabric that they used in Season 3 (but in miniature form). Those who followed me from the beginning of this project might remember that once I mentioned how big is the fabric outlet (1000+ fabric and garment companies ). Then I brought Anxxxx Premium line tunic to a lab to extract the colors for dyeing process. Once they were dyed, high resolution pictures were taken with Grey Color white balance correction, and sent to a few Star Trek uniforms prop groups for last minute advises. I never close my eyes for improvement until the minute before production begins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Surely chimed in at the wrong time. Wow.

Hi Nanjin, great job on the figures. Not sure if you answered this and are yet allowed to but is there any chance at seeing the whole crew, and some aliens, Klingons, Romulans, Andorians? Thanks again!

It's cool guys, I just felt a lot of animosity.
I understand that the whining can become tiresome and it really wasn't my intention to drag the argument on and on.

I really believe Nanjin wants first and foremost to bring out the best figures that are feasible, and I'll happily wait for them to show up at my door.

Nanjin, do we still pester you about these figures, or should we just go to QMX? Don't want to become a nuisance asking you stuff...

It's cool guys, I just felt a lot of animosity.

Everyone here is just passionate and that can come out in different ways :duff

Maybe we should have a "Give-a-****-o'meter" at the start if each thread with highlighted concerns.

A. Colour of tunic.
B. Braids.
C. Sculpts. . . etc

Then everyone votes on how much they care about each point, and if the needle touches 90%, we can politely let the manufacturer know. :lol

So what is a cooler exclusive for Spock - the Vulcan harp or an alternate headsculpt with raised eyebrow?

A smiling (smug?) Kirk and a bemused Spock as second headsculpts would have sold the exclusives to me. As they stand, the exclusives don't hold great appeal to me.

"Fascinating" HS, hands down.

Planet Action Figures have standard version Spock up for preorder on their website.

QMx-FF-Articulated-Mal-1756x988-5_1752caa4-6ba8-4099-b468-261309627d0e_1024x1024.jpg

QMX-Star_Trek-Master_Series-Spock02_1024x1024.jpg

QMX-Star_Trek-Master_Series-Spock03_1024x1024.jpg

This is what I've cut n' paste from the site:

A Most “Fascinating” One-Sixth Figure

Star Trek™ The Original Series celebrates its 50th anniversary this year and QMx is bringing everyone’s favorite Vulcan to Trek collectors everywhere! The half-Vulcan/half-human, Mr. Spock was the First Officer of the starship Enterprise on its maiden voyage. This 1:6 figure recreates the iconic character in exquisite detail. Standing approximately 12 inches tall, every detail -- from his 23rd century tunic to his pointy black shoes -- was researched and overseen by Star Trek scholar Nanjin Tam. The original portrait sculpt of Leonard Nimoy as Spock is the best representation of the actor ever created for a collectible.

WHAT'S IN THE BOX?

Fully Articulated Body: Over 30 points of articulation allow the figure to be displayed in multiple dynamic poses, approximately 30 cm tall.

Realistic Portrait: Lovingly rendered by a top artist, this is a perfect likeness of Spock with realistic wrinkles and pointy ears. Each head sculpt is specially hand-painted.

Starfleet Duty Uniform Tunic: Meticulously researched, this duty uniform tunic matches the pattern, fabric, and color of the original costume down to the last stitch. The sleeves are trimmed with accurate and detailed braid insignia.

Starfleet Standard Issue Black T-shirt: This black t-shirt is is a separate piece worn under the tunic.

Starfleet Duty Uniform Pants: These are faithful replicas of the pants worn by the Enterprise crew in Star Trek™ The Original Series with the characteristic bell shaped pant leg. Metal plates sewn into the pants allow the magnetic phaser and communicator to be worn without the belt.

Boots: Using leather-like material cut in the original style of the footwear worn in Star Trek™ The Original Series, these boots zip up on the inner side.

Phaser Type 2/ Type 1: The pistol-grip Type 2 phaser is the weapon of choice for any landing party expecting hostile aliens. The smaller Type 1 phaser can be removed and used separately. Both have magnets allowing either to be worn on the utility belt or directly on the pants as they were in the third season.

Communicator: This accurately styled communicator features a real metal flip-up antenna.

Tricorder: No self-respecting Science Officer would be without his personal data-sensing, analysis, and recording device. This replica rotates open at the top and has an opening front door. Mr. Spock can wear the tricorder over his shoulder with the leather-like strap.

Utility Belt: Used in the first season of Star Trek™ The Original Series by landing parties to hold their accessories, this cloth belt has metal plates allowing the magnetized phaser and communicator to be worn as they were on the show. Each figure comes with multiple hands for various Trek-like activities:

Right Phaser 2 Hand: Perfectly holds the pistol grip Type 2 Phaser. • Right Phaser 1 Hand: Allows for the small Type 1 Phaser to be held for accurate aiming.

Left Communicator Hand: Holds the communicator to request speedy beam ups.

Left Holding Hand: Sized to hold the tricorder.

Right Vulcan Salute Hand: A typical Vulcan greeting and farewell is the phrase “Live Long and Prosper” accompanied by this hand gesture.

Left Vulcan Nerve Pinch Hand: Spock can subdue misbehaving aliens with a carefully applied pinch to the neck.

Left Vulcan Mind Meld Hand:
A Vulcan can initiate a telepathic link with another person through a “mind meld” which involves placing their hand on the subject in a certain way.

Star Trek Delta Symbol Display Base:
A custom display base featuring the familiar Star Trek “delta” symbol will hold up the figure and allow more extreme poses.

Expected To Ship :
July 2016

Back