Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek TOS Kirk and Spock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Kirk and Spock

I'm a bit confused now...
What insignia are going to be plastic?
After all that Nanjin went through to source everything as close to the originals as possible, that sounds a bit strange... I guess I must've missed something, or plain forgot...

The arm braid is plastic. That's the only way to recreate the look exactly in 1:6 scale.

After all that Nanjin went through to source everything as close to the originals as possible, that sounds a bit strange... I guess I must've missed something, or plain forgot...

This is what im not liking, if so.
nanjin does all this research and work and now Im worried that Qmx are gonna dumb down alot of the quality because of mass production + cheaper costs. What changes are there? Will the boots be the same even? If its not on par to what nanjin was gonna bring out then this figure wont get me. Even the packing for AOS is UNREAL! Doubt we will get the same quality to what nanjin had in mind. Dont mean to be a bad news bear, just thinking/typing out aloud

Oh crap.
Just went back and looked at the pics. That doesn't look very good. At all. Can't believe I missed it in my excitement over the announcement.
I much prefer Nanjin's earlier braids, inaccurate or not.

Any chance this decision might be reversed? All the earlier pics had the cloth braids.

Spoiler: the heads are made of plastic (likely PVC if you want to be super-specific)

The arm braid is plastic. That's the only way to recreate the look exactly in 1:6 scale.

What?? Playmates had stitched rank braids on the sleeve cuffs and that was many years ago.

ae15e911-6df3-4316-ae82-4d59d25de67c.jpg

Star Trek TOS can only be better under QMx production.

Great gif kinda hypnotic.

I see figures that were made with lots of love, passion and craftsmanship.

I see the Spock I always wanted.

At last!

Super work and special thanks to Nanjin ;-)

The cycle of SSF:

1. Announcement! Wow! Great. Finally someone's doing xx show that I LOVE! Woohoo. About time. I've waited YEARS!

2. Figures look amazing. I'm going to order straight away!

3. Wait, I've looked at the pictures for 5 hours and have found things that don't look quite right.

4. Yep. Another 5 hours in and I've spotted that the little plastic figure doesn't look EXACTLY the same as a real human actor.

5. So, right, another 5 hours of staring at the photo and I have LOADS of complaints. Mainly about colours. I'm not ordering
this. Forget it. And, I'm not paying $1000 per figure for something more accurate. I want it PERFECT for $180.

6. You're all idiots if you don't agree with my pages and pages of arguments! How dare the company compromise when making MY figure!

7. Nope. Not preordering. *STAMPS FEET.*

8. People are starting to get their figures. Hmm, maybe I should. . .

9. Got it! IT IS AMAZING!

10. Repeat from step 1. Over, and over, and over. . .

:lol

Last edited:

The cycle of SSF:

1. Announcement! Wow! Great. Finally someone's doing xx show that I LOVE! Woohoo. About time. I've waited YEARS!

2. Figures look amazing. I'm going to order straight away!

3. Wait, I've looked at the pictures for 5 hours and have found things that don't look quite right.

4. Yep. Another 5 hours in and I've spotted that the little plastic figure doesn't look EXACTLY the same as a real human actor.

5. So, right, another 5 hours of staring at the photo and I have LOADS of complaints. Mainly about colours. I'm not ordering
this. Forget it. And, I'm not paying $1000 per figure for something more accurate. I want it PERFECT for $180.

6. You're all idiots if you don't agree with my pages and pages of arguments! How dare the company compromise when making MY figure!

7. Nope. Not preordering. *STAMPS FEET.*

8. People are starting to get their figures. Hmm, maybe I should. . .

9. Got it! IT IS AMAZING!

10. Repeat from step 1. Over, and over, and over. . .

:lol

The man speaks the truth.

Ahh, the usual ganging up on those who would dare criticise something on one's beloved dolls.
How it warms the heart.

Just to be clear, I've been a supporter of Nanjin's fantastic work from day one and own his TOS v1.0, which I find pretty awesome.
So I'm very excited to see Nanjin's TOS v2.0 coming to life. I find them superior to his earlier figures in every possible way, and I have both on pre-order.

Now, the plastic braids really do look bad in the photos that are posted in the first page. They look thick and clunky, and are more than likely to come with their own set of problems when it comes to affixing them on the shirts with any level of cleanliness and accuracy.

Is that such an unreasonable criticism?

I will not forego these figures, and look forward to them, but if there is any hope of going back to some other material for the braids in order to have something that looks better, I'll be happy to have pointed it out.
If everybody else is happy, and QMX have no desire to look into the matter any further, that's fine, too.

No need to get all your pitchforks and sarcasm-meters out gents.

Back