Premium Format Red Sonja Premium Format Figure 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys I need some advice, I m searching for a companion for this sonja. I would love to pick up the PCS goro 1/3 but it s a bit pricey for me... Do you think the 1/4 kintaro would go well with her ? Maybe the paint is a little cartoony ? Something from Court of the dead ? If anyone has some ideas that would be great. I m searching for a male monster type but any advice is welcome �� Thanks

Hey guys I need some advice, I m searching for a companion for this sonja. I would love to pick up the PCS goro 1/3 but it s a bit pricey for me... Do you think the 1/4 kintaro would go well with her ? Maybe the paint is a little cartoony ? Something from Court of the dead ? If anyone has some ideas that would be great. I m searching for a male monster type but any advice is welcome �� Thanks
Conan?

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Chronicle has a 1:4 Thulsa Doom. Personally, I couldn't imagine pairing Sonja up with anyone other than Conan.

Thanks guys :)
Just an opinion...since you've asked for it.
Sonja is very much a lone wolf in the novels and comics. She does often team up with various groups or people but only for the duration of the adventure, if for that long. She doesn't really have a regular companion or anyone else that she has hang around her.

For this reason, I don't think she really needs a companion piece. Especially if you're considering out of canon character like mortal kombat or court of the dead. Just design a custom environment for her shelf that matches her base. A field of slaughter with only her standing triumphantly or something like that.

Sonja is no one's *****. Even pairing her with the chronicle conan statue may make it looks like she's his bodyguard since his sitting, or something similar. Know what I mean?

Either way, grats on the piece!

They are still physically sculpted however some parts are 3-D printed also and added to the physical sculpt that is used to make the molds. There is a limit to what can be done by hand.

They 3-D sculpt the prototype so the physical sculptor has something to go off of opposed to actually 3-D printing parts + physical sculpting together which is done now by most high end companies.

Its 100% Z brush. It is digital sculpting. Still worthless without an artist at the tool, weather it's a knife and clay or stylus and monitor, it is all sculpting. And it's all a legitimate art form.

This talk of 3D is not art is wrong.

The only hand work on the 3D print is cleaning up the print marks.
Watch the Will Harbottle profile on YouTube for an idea of what an artist can do.

I'm not sure anyone said it wasn't art if it was digitally sculpted. I think it was more a matter of what the company was advertising their work as.

I'd be plenty happy to pay 100$ to download the file then take it to the library for a 1 time printing then paint the piece however I want.

I'm not sure anyone said it wasn't art if it was digitally sculpted. I think it was more a matter of what the company was advertising their work as.

I'd be plenty happy to pay 100$ to download the file then take it to the library for a 1 time printing then paint the piece however I want.

You realize that they make a mold of the 3D print master and that is cast into thousands of copies. They don't 3D print every copy sent out. 3D printing on a quality printer costs more than pouring a resin mold. Your request would make more sense and be cheaper to just ask for an unpainted resin cast out of a mould. Those molds come from either a 3D print master or a hand sculpted master. It makes no difference how the master was made, they all get moulded and reproduced.

The day will come when you can download a full color high resolution statue in your home, but that is a long way off and will never be a cheaper alternative, just a different delivery method like the evolution of music to digital download.

Yes naturally I understand this. Lol.

What I'm trying to articulate is the misalignment of expectation vs reality.

"Sculpted" is a lose term and is equally applicable to digital as well as physicsl. What I expect from sideshow is that the statue be physically sculpted and that expenditure in physical resources be reflected in the final piece cost. Naturally, they'd go through several iterations of each piece before they arrive at a satisfactory finished prototype. What I'm not keen to do is pay to have a single person working in zbrush 8 hours a day for 6 weeks working on the entire thing. I find this misleading when labeled as "sculpted" when it's printed on their products. Yes it's correct, but it seems like willingly allowing people to misinterpret their process without explaining it.

This isn't to belittle or frown upon digital artists or ss or anything. This was an example I was trying to use. It may or may not be accurate since we were just talking about the head of the piece; the entire rest may be sculpted in a physical medium.

It would be as if you went to see a play of swan lake only find out what was meant was someone will "push play" on a DVD player.

Not a 1:1 exchange on what I was suggesting but you get what I mean I hope. If they're using the fluid and flexible nature of the English language to allow people to misinterpret their products and process: not cool.

I'm just advocating diclosure is all. Wolf Predator LSB is vinyl. That's only cool if advertised as such. Otherwise expectation is for a statue like the others in the lines - similar materials and processes, etc.

Yeah I just gave up feeding into it.

To each their own opinion and standards. All good. It wasn't the purpose of the board so I didn't wanna continue arguing it.

Anyway...back on track. Red Sonja.....

Yeah I just gave up feeding into it.

To each their own opinion and standards. All good. It wasn't the purpose of the board so I didn't wanna continue arguing it.

Anyway...back on track. Red Sonja.....

I get your point now.
Its like cars these days. Until recently, they were sculpted full size in clay and then a focus group looked at it and if there were changes they would have to resculpt it, make both sides symmetrical, add and scrape away clay until it was right. Now all someone does is clicks a mouse and a magic design happens and any changes are as easy as snapping your fingers and they don't even buy any clay. I think we as consumers have a right to know when a new car is digitally sculpted instead of the traditional clay modeling used for 60 years.

Same with movies. They should be upfront and honest with us, i mean, when I see a film, i expect my ticket money is going toward models and piano wire and glue and paint and plate glass with matte paintings, but they pull a fast one on us and use CGI and let us assume we are seeing models on film. If they don't want to use models and they want to build the whole film in computers, just let me download it at the library and I'll skip the theater.

I get your point now.
Its like cars these days. Until recently, they were sculpted full size in clay and then a focus group looked at it and if there were changes they would have to resculpt it, make both sides symmetrical, add and scrape away clay until it was right. Now all someone does is clicks a mouse and a magic design happens and any changes are as easy as snapping your fingers and they don't even buy any clay. I think we as consumers have a right to know when a new car is digitally sculpted instead of the traditional clay modeling used for 60 years.

Same with movies. They should be upfront and honest with us, i mean, when I see a film, i expect my ticket money is going toward models and piano wire and glue and paint and plate glass with matte paintings, but they pull a fast one on us and use CGI and let us assume we are seeing models on film. If they don't want to use models and they want to build the whole film in computers, just let me download it at the library and I'll skip the theater.

Dry humour that may well be wasted on some Brian :lol :hi5:

Dry humour that may well be wasted on some Brian :lol :hi5:

Lol, if you get it, then its not wasted, if you don't get it then its all over the head anyway so no big loss.
Glad you enjoy, sometimes, being ridiculous is the only way to convey how ridiculous something is.
...*in my opinion only.
*opinions may vary from member to member.
Void where prohibited by law.
And Red Sonja.

Its 100% Z brush. It is digital sculpting. Still worthless without an artist at the tool, weather it's a knife and clay or stylus and monitor, it is all sculpting. And it's all a legitimate art form.

This talk of 3D is not art is wrong.

The only hand work on the 3D print is cleaning up the print marks.
Watch the Will Harbottle profile on YouTube for an idea of what an artist can do.

What are you talking about? Did you even read my post? I just said they are digitally sculpted for the physical sculpter to use as reference, however some of the parts are now 3-D printed to add to the physical sculpt that they use to make the molds. I never said it wasn’t art.

Back