SANDTROOPER 12" Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you even read what I wrote:rolleyes:

You often tend to jump on things without carefully reading it first. So for those with quick draw set on automatic, I'll repeat. They are comparable as COMPANIES but not with the 1/6th product they produce.

That means that if the product isn't comparable, of course the prices should not be and, news flash!, they aren't. As well, they shouldn't be with the types of things that SSCs just lets go.:rolleyes::horror:rolleyes::horror

My point is, IN MY OPINION, SSCs product is going up in price but I don't think they are "closing" that gap all that much. Maybe on a figure here and there but not really. Its cool if you think so, but I don't. I would be MORE than willing to pay them even more if they could match HTs level of detail and attention to it and I think they can. They just don't and I really wish they would cause I don't understand why they haven't. They have the talent. They have the customer loyalty and they have argurably the dream license in SW in which to pull it off but they just won't pull the trigger.

The problem with comparing them as companies is after making that statement, you went straight from there to comparing the quality of their products and the way their products are produced. Which, when it boils down to it, is a matter of price per unit. More money is better quality. Additionally, there's the whole matter MF pointed out about HT having the luxury of being there. If SS charged a higher price for their products, they could be held to higher standards. Again, it's all about price. To make the comparison you're trying to, you need to look at it from a business POV vs. that of a naive collector.

I do think you have a really good point here and I hope Sideshow takes this as an opportunity to make the next Sandtrooper even better then this one (which I still think is fantastic).

I know I'm full of rancor this morning (I don't even have one under my dias, maybe I should complain to Sideshow about that) but it just really frustrates me so many people that hop on the boards to do nothing but tear down Sideshow's products rather then appreciate them for their strengths. For me, the price point is better than Hot Toys and the detail is better than Medicom, but I know that's my own opinion so I keep buying Sideshow's products. I have had examples of things I asked them to fix (and they always have), but I don't needlessly moan and complain about how awful they are and keep buying from them. I love every one of my 12" figures because they are overall well done by people who you can tell really do love their craft. The art then has to be mass produced and that's when some of the issues come up, but I expect that as a consumer. Has anyone else noticed that the dark smears of dirt on the trooper are made up of little dots? (look under a magnifying glass). This tells me the armor is digitally stamped at a factory and the "sand" wash is probably sprayed by a machine that doesn't know what art is. This is the age of mass production and this will NEVER be as good as a hand painted prototype, so I encourage everyone out there in T.V. land to remember this when you are looking at a pre-order.

Give Sideshow constructive feedback on things you would like to see in the future, enjoy the things you have from them in the present, kindly request their help to remedy issues you may have and DON'T BUY FROM THEM IF YOU GENUINLY HATE THIER STUFF!

Now that I have ranted, I shall go away now for a time. I now return you to your regularly scheduled program of whining, moaning and complaining.

:emperor

Please stay away:rolleyes: And go back under that rock...well you know the rest:peace

No one "Hates" their stuff. If folks did they would not buy it and there would just be apologist posting about how they love anything SSCs factories craps out their backsides. EVERYONE, practically, knows that SSC has a great team working for them and that most of their issues occur during the production process...no new news there, you're preaching to the choir:rolleyes:

If you're just going to be cantankerous to anyone giving them constructive critisism, then maybe its best you do as you suggested. Cause without the critisism and if all these threads had were SSC apologist who love anything SSCs factories crap out their backsides, then some of those corrections you mentioned may never have happened.

So on that note, its as they say, "it takes all kinds"...so maybe you should stay awhile:peace

The problem with comparing them as companies is after making that statement, you went straight from there to comparing the quality of their products and the way their products are produced. Which, when it boils down to it, is a matter of price per unit. More money is better quality. Additionally, there's the whole matter MF pointed out about HT having the luxury of being there. If SS charged a higher price for their products, they could be held to higher standards. Again, it's all about price. To make the comparison you're trying to, you need to look at it from a business POV vs. that of a naive collector.

Sometimes with you, I really wonder how you produce your own mag and you don't seem to have a good grasp of understanding english.:rolleyes:

Perhaps if you looked at things less like an open-nosed school girl in love, you could see that they have the talent and capability to be better...even at the current price point. Some of these mistakes are just not an issue of price point. Some of them are just dumb mistakes...like weathering an entire figure and not weathering the backpack.

Now the alternative would be that SSC chose to cut that paint wash due to cost, but I don't think their that hard up for cash or that careless.

And the whole "we're not over there in the factories" is getting old. Its a cop-out excuse and it needs to die.:rolleyes: Many American companies have products manufactured in the far east...large and small, so you don't pull the "they're a small company" excuse, and they don't have these consistent problems. And that's the point. Many of these "mishaps by the factory" are consistant and it shouldn't be.

Sometimes with you, I really wonder how you produce your own mag and you don't seem to have a good grasp of understanding english.:rolleyes:

Perhaps if you looked at things less like an open-nosed school girl in love, you could see that they have the talent and capability to be better...even at the current price point. Some of these mistakes are just not an issue of price point. Some of them are just dumb mistakes...like weathering an entire figure and not weathering the backpack.

Now the alternative would be that SSC chose to cut that paint wash due to cost, but I don't think their that hard up for cash or that careless.

And the whole "we're not over there in the factories" is getting old. Its a cop-out excuse and it needs to die.:rolleyes: Many American companies have products manufactured in the far east...large and small, so you don't pull the "they're a small company" excuse, and they don't have these consistent problems. And that's the point. Many of these "mishaps by the factory" are consistant and it shouldn't be.

Now how do you classify this as "constructive" criticism? Hrm? Why don't I give it a whirl myself...

I REALLY love the new Sandtrooper. The sculpting is right on and all the details are awesome. The paint apps are for the most part accurate and give a give a feeling of being marooned in a sand post. For future releases, it would look even better to weather up the backpack with even more sandy detailing, while retaining the already high level of detail. There are many points of great articulation and while the joints on seem figures seem too loose, they have the full range of motion you could ever ask for. Perhaps a solid improvement going forward would be to tighten up the joints a bit more but the flexibility is appreciated. Overall a really solid piece of work. Keep up the great job Sideshow.

Now how do you classify this as "constructive" criticism? Hrm? Why don't I give it a whirl myself...

I REALLY love the new Sandtrooper. The sculpting is right on and all the details are awesome. The paint apps are for the most part accurate and give a give a feeling of being marooned in a sand post. For future releases, it would look even better to weather up the backpack with even more sandy detailing, while retaining the already high level of detail. There are many points of great articulation and while the joints on seem figures seem too loose, they have the full range of motion you could ever ask for. Perhaps a solid improvement going forward would be to tighten up the joints a bit more but the flexibility is appreciated. Overall a really solid piece of work. Keep up the great job Sideshow.

Sounds good but the backpack, at least for mine, had ZERO weathering.

As it pertains to the body, I don't think writing more glowing and gushing praise on its level of articulation is needed. We've crossed that road many times and most, I think, are very satisfied with the base body's developement and SSC knows this. What they seem to keep forgetting or not getting, is that it is inconsistent in its level of tightness. From being good enough to stand right out the box to being good enough to attach strings to it and using it in a marionette puppet show. Certainly at this price point and given their commitment to quality, they can correct this and make it more consistant across the board.

And I also feel like that ST in Battys post. Can't understand why guys think giving SSC some constructive criticism is AT ALL a knock at them:huh

And that was not aimed at SSC as constructive criticism...it was to another poster. Just in case you forgot how this works. :peace

Maybe this is a good lesson for you not to put things onto Ebay before you actually have them in hand. I'm sorry but I have zero simpathy...

The hell is your problem, ponch? Someone take a sh.it in your breakfast this morning did they? FYI I did have the figure in hand when I listed it, smart guy. You don't know me, and I seriously doubt you'd be talking that kind of crap to my face if you did. Chill out. Seriously.

I think SS owes me more for my money than a "dewback diarrea" paint job. Maybe some guys are good with waht they get, but I'm not. My money is worth more than this. Plus the fact that they cant get this new friggin body right and tight in any scale is really disheartening. I appreciate them for what they are going, but the QC is lacking. To each his/her own, but I'd like to see a bit more for $108 bucks. Hell, I'd pay more for better QC, which is why I also buy HT. I just wish my SS collection was the definitive SW collection.

Did a Dwback spray you this morning??
I have yet to have any looseness issues with the armored body and I have Cloneobi, the 212th Clone, Stormie and Sandie all on display. All have tight joints and hold their poses well. Even my Indy which does have loose parts holds its pose.

For the most part I like my Sideshow figures. One thing they need to do though is improve these new bodies quicker. The loose joints can be such a bummer.
You got lucky Bill with those figs being tight from the sound of most people.

Alright gang, let's all take a deep breath here.

Some people are dissatisfied with the final product and want to voice that, some are happy and want to voice that, if you feel like posting an opinion in opposition of one shared here, go right ahead, but let's not start going after each other in a manner that makes the issue become the the people having their opinions and no longer about the product itself.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and if you want to counter it with yours that's healthy but let's not start slinging around insults and cynical words because someone feels like they do. Fact of life, someone will always feel the opposite of you on any given thing and may be more vocal about their opinion than yours, that'll never change, it can't be changed, it shouldn't change and the most peaceful route is to just accept that and discuss opinions in a civil manner.

What is it about this Sandie that gets the heat going in here anyway? This thread's been spicy from the get-go.... :lol

Like the man said....easy does it.

Did a Dwback spray you this morning??
I have yet to have any looseness issues with the armored body and I have Cloneobi, the 212th Clone, Stormie and Sandie all on display. All have tight joints and hold their poses well. Even my Indy which does have loose parts holds its pose.

WTF? No, I was referring to the paint job.

The only ones I've ever got that werent loose are the 212 and the Stormie Cmdr. So, I have more loose than non loose. I just want SS to do a better job and make them more consistent.

Sounds good but the backpack, at least for mine, had ZERO weathering.

As it pertains to the body, I don't think writing more glowing and gushing praise on its level of articulation is needed. We've crossed that road many times and most, I think, are very satisfied with the base body's developement and SSC knows this. What they seem to keep forgetting or not getting, is that it is inconsistent in its level of tightness. From being good enough to stand right out the box to being good enough to attach strings to it and using it in a marionette puppet show. Certainly at this price point and given their commitment to quality, they can correct this and make it more consistant across the board.

And I also feel like that ST in Battys post. Can't understand why guys think giving SSC some constructive criticism is AT ALL a knock at them:huh

And that was not aimed at SSC as constructive criticism...it was to another poster. Just in case you forgot how this works. :peace

FA SHIZZLE!!!!:D

What is it about this Sandie that gets the heat going in here anyway? This thread's been spicy from the get-go.... :lol

Like the man said....easy does it.

You and Maul Fan are absolutly right. I think when Lando arrives in a couple of weeks, I'm going to post some hopefully pretty good comments as he also looks awesome. If I have any constructive suggestions I'll throw them in too and I just need to relax, learn to let go my frustrations with others and just spend that time enjoying my nice and pretty toys. Thanks for the moment of zen....

:peace

Last edited:
I got my sandtrooper last week and I'm disappointed. I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly get his pack strapped on him because I'm not a 12 inch figure expert and while I was trying his damn top strap came unglued from itself and fell off.

I wish it was like the RAH Sandtrooper... It should have came already attached or with a plug to snap it in place sort of like Boushh Leia's pack.

I got my sandtrooper last week and I'm disappointed. I'm having trouble figuring out how to properly get his pack strapped on him because I'm not a 12 inch figure expert and while I was trying his damn top strap came unglued from itself and fell off.

I wish it was like the RAH Sandtrooper... It should have came already attached or with a plug to snap it in place sort of like Boushh Leia's pack.

Try to reglue the strap, but also add a double sided tape on his backpack so it attaches to his back armor too. This way the heavy backpack won't be supported just by those tiny straps.

Let me explain this in English so that you understand. I produce a magazine. Correct. However, I have no direct control over how it's printed. Why? I gather the articles and compile them into the magazine format, arranging text, adding pics, general graphic arts stuff. I then save it in Adobe and take the PDF to the printers. I don't print it, I pay to have that done. If it comes back looking like crap, I'm stuck with the difficult decision of whether or not to put it out anyway despite the errors and piss of the advertisers and customers, or delay it until it gets printed correctly, which pisses off the advertisers and customers. Sometimes doing the latter only results in it looking worse. That's why it's a heavy option to weigh as it can lead to more and more delays while the product comes back worse. Ironically, I think Sideshow's in the same situation. A situation you clearly don't comprehend.

Just a silly Noob question if you don't mind guys. I have the Medi Orange Pauldron Sandtrooper (Squad Leader) and I intend on getting whatever sideshow releases in Sandtroopers in the near future. (I love the stormtrooper).

Is the white Pauldron Versions armor darker colours meant to be Sandblasted Chipped armour, showing weathering and damage to the armour surface or is it meant to be sand stained, sand covered armour.
(I hope this makes sense on what I'm asking..lol)

Thanks guys ;)

Back