Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I want that... Maybe Friday when I get my paycheck. I don't care about having humans, but this is so good and I want to be the first to paint it up! I also still need to make the body/clothes for your Dr. Galen. Thinking about trying that mohair fur for the arms if I can find the right shade.

Thanks for the kind words on Polar! Probably will tackle Anto next. I also want to remake Marcus. Kind of lost interest in the diorama...

Anto sweater, done. Now he's just got to do Remus and send them both. I may have his wife sew me Julia and Polars wife's outfit too, if I can't find anything suitable.

6AB7586F-647E-4437-A359-6AED69316AEB-7163-000006CFE2C8BD0B_zps7dea6664.jpg

All day POTA marathon on AMC. Good day to get motivated for some sculpting, my simian friends!

I've got Marcus 2.0 and Anto on the to do list.

Anyone seen this before? Great quality too.

https://youtu.be/Px4YGrL5fJg

Thanks SW for posting this video... it was SO GREAT to see that Roddy McDowall clip on the Carol Burnett Show in its entirety! I've only seen it referenced in short clips throughout the years. Got a little teary watching it... Roddy was SO brilliant in that makeup!

I too saw it went it originally aired back in 1974. I believe the Jackson 5 were on the show that night as well.

What the hell? I tried making Anto with three different heads and I STILL can't get it right. His eyes are so far apart and circular....ugh. Does anyone ever have this problem? The eyes of the base head make or break it.

Make that 4. Never had this much trouble with a sculpt before. Screw it.

Last edited:
So I'm going to put Anto aside for now and go for Remus. I was thinking about it and I think a repainted African-American head would give me the correct eye distance/shape/size that I need for Anto. What do you guys think?

CE3A97A5-62D5-4D7F-9947-2EA66FF05BC9-3268-00000335299AF23F_zps976e7d97.jpg

Maybe not this head specifically, but I'm looking at the eyes.

C91FBABE-7109-43FB-AB21-04F97D1A88FC-3268-0000033530B0DA18_zps562ca1c4.jpg

Here is a link to a link of a pretty good analysis of the first two

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123196

Thanks for posting the link, JJ! I would have missed it otherwise. It's great to hear any discussion on my favorite saga!

Although I didn't understand why this Devin guy kept referring to the size of the Apes like they should have been much shorter. I don't know, I've seen some VERY large apes in my day. Besides, the Apes in the films were suppose to be an approximation of how an "Evolved Ape" would look like. John Chambers said himself that he designed the makeup to represent a higher from of Ape. And I would think that would also mean... taller.

One of the strangest parts of the franchise is how the "highly evolved ape" was indeed the thought process for how the apes looked originally, but by the time we get to "Escape", everyone was looking at them as if they simply looked like regular, primitive chimps. Always struck me as a strange bit of inconsistency. Not that story consistency is exactly a strength with the POTA series. :)

One of the strangest parts of the franchise is how the "highly evolved ape" was indeed the thought process for how the apes looked originally, but by the time we get to "Escape", everyone was looking at them as if they simply looked like regular, primitive chimps. Always struck me as a strange bit of inconsistency. Not that story consistency is exactly a strength with the POTA series. :)

Well, Escape starts the rewriting of the Ape Evolutionary chain. Gone are the periods Cornelius details in the cave in the first film (where he describes the bones of carnivous gorillas) and instead we now get Cornelius detailing the first ape that said "no". Quite the jump if you are paying attention.

I understand the need for the change. Paul Dehn was trying to give the franchise some breathing space for future films... after resurrecting the franchise from Beneath's Armageddon.

So I'm going to put Anto aside for now and go for Remus. I was thinking about it and I think a repainted African-American head would give me the correct eye distance/shape/size that I need for Anto. What do you guys think?

CE3A97A5-62D5-4D7F-9947-2EA66FF05BC9-3268-00000335299AF23F_zps976e7d97.jpg

Maybe not this head specifically, but I'm looking at the eyes.

C91FBABE-7109-43FB-AB21-04F97D1A88FC-3268-0000033530B0DA18_zps562ca1c4.jpg

perhaps finding a sculpt that closer resembles Geoffrey Deuel would work?

Anyone else think it would be great if the new Captain Action made POTA outfits for them? I think its a natural fit and could be a great way to add to both collections.

I bet you could convert a Sideshow Wolf Man into a gorilla! The hands look close, but of course you would have to alter the feet and head!! The feet are a tad large I noticed!

Last edited:
The feet should be shoed/booted anyway, but the hand idea definitely has possibilities.

Yep, the hands really stood out for me, because Sideshow never did make Gorilla hands, since they used gloves! They should have made a Julius with hairy Gorilla hands!

A cool Wolf Body to turn into a Gorilla! There are plenty on ebay folks! This set even has a log that Taylor can jump over while being persued by the Gorillas during the "Hunt" scene!

Last edited:
Yep, the hands really stood out for me, because Sideshow never did make Gorilla hands, since they used gloves! They should have made a Julius with hairy Gorilla hands!

There's a LOT they should have done, but I have to be thankful for what we did get.

Back