Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jess! What is the "Saltmines"? Is that reference to your job? Oh, by the way, I would like to eventually get some of that Zira material from you. I can send you some black furry horse blanket material in trade if you want.:rolleyes:

Salmines...that's where I toil...as an admin assistant for an environmental firm. Quite dull really...but it pays for utilities, daycare (VERY IMPORTANT!), and my hobby. What Zira material? To change out the inner sleeves of the green SS outfit? I still have some of that.

Jess.

Hi Jess! Yes, the inner sleeve material. I thought that it was very accurate to the movie version.:monkey5

I just sent you my address info through your regular e-mail. Is there anything else on the same scale for trade? Thanks, Kent.:monkey1

I just sent you my address info through your regular e-mail. Is there anything else on the same scale for trade? Thanks, Kent.:monkey1

How about some corn? JUST KIDDING! How about that a bit of that blanket you mentioned--I need just a snippet. Don't know what I'll use it for but I'm sure it will come in handy one of these days.

Jess.

How about some corn? JUST KIDDING! How about that a bit of that blanket you mentioned--I need just a snippet. Don't know what I'll use it for but I'm sure it will come in handy one of these days.

Jess.

Hi Jess. I think that the furry side goes down against the horses back. I sent some to Angel a little over a year ago. You can ask him about it if you want.:monkey1

I will be going to the post office real soon if you want me to send it off today. Thanks, Kent.:chew

Sticks - It just dawned on me, I still need to get you those measurements. Remind me if I don't provide them to you tonight.

By the way, I have some wooden "scrap jail bars" leftover from my ape wagon, that I could send you for some wooden lattice work if you want them. I'll post some pictures tonight so you can see if you want them. :angelsmil

Take your time Angel, with the look of things, the wagon may have to rest on the floor. I'm going to fool around with some angles tonight, see how things will work. Wish me luck.

Sticks---I keep looking at and admiring your Ape City. I just love the texture of the walls. It has a very solid feel and the colors are very natural. It's just so perfect...

Jess.

Thanks a bunch Jessica. I am going to put my brother to work on some buildings tonight. We'll see what I can get.

Hi Jess! I have sent you the material allready. I think that the best scene in the first movie that I first noticed the Horse blanket was when Taylor first escaped from his cage and remember the Gorilla on the horse chasing him. Taylor also knocked him off his horse. Check out that blanket.:monkey1

Oh my! This is totally exciting! I need to print out those screenshots you e-mailed me awhile back so I can compare with these photos. That's a very accurate sculpt, but I think you are right--one top of the ear is slightly lower than the other. And, I think you should be nitpicky because after it's all done and over, you want to be happy with the end product and never "wonder if...."

I think if she covered his ears with more hair it would look less "Opey"--or maybe pulled them in more so they do not flare out as much. I'd have to really look at those screenshots before I can make an accurate opinion.
Jess.

I agree with both of you! I think that the objective is to be satisfied when all is said and done. Critique the sculpt until you are completely satisfied Angel. You have a real good eye for detail and don't settle for less.:monkey1

Jess - I trust your opions on these materials. I'll tell you what you already know. I'm partial to the 1st photo for the blouse. That's the one!. I just love the coloring of the velvet in the 4th photo. Like you, I'm also concerned about the hang of the velvet material. Can you perform a test on "the hang" on your Sideshow Zira? When is the SDCC scheduled for?

SDCC is sometime this July. I have a few months to find the perfect fabric if this velvet material doesn't hang well.

Jess.

Ada sure can sculpt if you ask me! I’d be very happy with Armando as he is already. Nonetheless, I’m still going to ask her to tweak it him in a couple of areas. Just like the Brent she made for SNICK, I’d prefer Armando gets some smooth eyes without the pupil and iris etched into his eyeballs.

I’m also interested in having his ears closer to his head and less like Little Opey from The Andy Griffith Show. His hair should slightly conceal his ears, but not by much. The ears need a bit of fixing if you ask me. Is it me or does his left ear look a little bit lower? I think it needs to be raised a tad.

The nose on Armando looks great to me. However from the profile shots, to me, it seems like a rounded light bulb and should probably be a bit more triangular. I’m not sure if this is worth fixing or if I’m just being to picky.

ANG- Your critique mirrors mine.The ears seem to either stick out or are too big. I'm not a fan of sculpted pupils. Photo 4 is excellent.

Thx for your hard work in seeing this project through.

STICKS - The ape city photo is incredible.

One final picture to critique.

Angel, OK...I'm being very super nitpicky about this one, but if you compare the side view of the left ear and put it side by side against the photo of the right ear, they do not match. If this can't be fixed, I can live with it, because who in their right mind would compare the left ear with the right ear without the help of mirrors or photographs?

If you see a side by side view of photo #6 (his right ear) with photo #3 (his left ear), you will see that the outermost part of his right ear is more meaty than the left. Also, the way the folds of the ear meet just above the lobe look more accurate on the right ear than the left (if you compare against the screenshots you sent me). But, maybe that's exactly how his left ear looks--I just don't have a screenshot of his left ear.

The following suggestions, though, I would like to see done if possible. But I will go with the majority vote--if you think I am being super nitpicky, you can veto my suggestions and I will be fine with it. I promise.

1.) I was wondering if she could remove a bit of the curls behind the ears that is level with his jawline and sculpt some bare skin there. All humans have bare skin there, right? The way the hair is sculpted now looks like the hair is part of the hairline and not curling against the neck as I think she meant it to be. I will scan a markup of photo #6 tomorrow and e-mail it to you...or post it, and then you guys can let me know if I'm being nitpicky here. Also one minor adjustment to the sideburns...if they could be less cartoony especially on the left side of his head.

2.) The other major thing I was wondering is if she could make the smile line of the front part of his face less meaty-looking or make the smile line less deep/pronounced. I think it would make him look younger by having less skin hang there.

3.) Also, I think his left ear flares out more than the right ear in photo #4.

Thank you again for making the Armando sculpt possible. When I look at the sculpt though and not nitpick it, it screams out Armando...

Jess.

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch Jom. Please critique me as I go. One of my Gorillas fell from the shelf today and lost a leg. 1 Gorilla down. :monkey2

Well todays photos are early, here they go.

IMG_0495a.jpg
IMG_0496a.jpg

Once again... Really nice work Sticks. Sad to see due to budgetary constraints, Taylor and Nova have lost some of their privacy and have to share their cage.

I can't wait till we see what you and your brother have up your sleeves next!

Thanks for posting the Armando pics, Angel... it looking good but like everybody else I have some nits to pick.

- Like everyone else has stated, that right ear juts out a bit too much in an Opie fashion... and the ears are not on the level.

- I too don't like sculpted eyes.

- Perhaps the cheeks might be too full making him look a bit too "chunky."

- I was also concerned with the detail in the curls are they appear in the profile. They make the sculpt have too much of a cartoony look. The curls should be more sublte, I think.

- Is it me or does his forehead look a bit too short? And the lines on his forehead or a bit over sculpted and should appear more sublte.

- Is there a way to have comparison shots of the sculpt and the reference shots in a side by side fashion? That way we can see more clearly the changes that need to be done.

Thanks again, Angel his taking the lead on this project.

I sure hope Ironman chimes in with his thoughts on this sculpt. Doesn't he have a head on order still?

Back