Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, he said you lived near him, and maybe you had the halfmoon. I said it was ok, never mind...I was going to just craft it. I'm thinking of ordering a raw Zira appliance from Apemania and doing my own deluxe pullover hood, since I now know how to make one...I only needed one hieroglyph for my outfit. Cornelius was going to give me one himself, but he went missing for awhile, and Billy had one laying around.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for another friend to let me know which gorilla to order (did you know Apemania made four different types of gorilla?) so that we could work on our pullovers at the same time.

A friend gave me a telephone number where he orders wigs from. I still need to order a wig for my Zira outfit...and extra wigs for the pullover mask I'm going to someday make. Can't wait to see how your Zira is coming along, Matt.

We're both pretty level headed. We'll work it out. If we don't we'll have a Kirk and Spock pon-far arena fight. :lol

Ahahah.... "but there is no vulcan death grip". LOL. We had virtually the same reply. Maybe we were brothers seperated at birth. One of these days, i outta post a few pics of us terrorizing the college campus in our ape outfits.

Matt, he said you lived near him, and maybe you had the halfmoon. I said it was ok, never mind...I was going to just craft it. I'm thinking of ordering a raw Zira appliance from Apemania and doing my own deluxe pullover hood, since I now know how to make one...

Yeah, Billy lives about 20 minutes from me. In fact, i'm heading over to his house this Saturday. Haven't seen him since my triplets were born 8 years ago. Looking forward to playing catch up. I understand he now owns that mego scale apes Museum i'd made many years ago.

Before you spend a fortune on something from apemania, take a look at this Zira mask i'm working on. If you like it, and want to complete it, name your price. It would fit perfect too, you won't be swimming in it. Let me know and i'll post a few pics.

Matt, can you please take photos of the Mego scale Museum? That sounds like a real fun and killer project!!

Can I see photos of your Zira mask? Did you purchase the raw appliances from Apemania? I have $300 store credit to burn at Apemania. I better hurry and place my order soon as all their prices keep going up!!

Did you purchase the raw appliances from Apemania?

Hell no. I used to work on a lot of films, commercials and TV shows here in NY and, although the money wasn't very good, industry people knew i was a major apes fan and could motivate me to work by offering apes related items. It wasn't long before the appliances started rolling in and i would apply them to mannequins and pull the mold from that. I still have those molds and quite a few more appliances i have yet to mold including that Heston casting taken during the making of the original apes film. Heston mask anyone?

So cool to be able to have all that, Matt!! You are rolling in ape riches. That is better than gold.

Matt, I sent you an e-mail!!

Last edited:
I'm assuming we will eventually do the rear and the exterior. LOL. Chris?

That would be great but I don't want to overwhem you.

With every step I write to Matt: "Are you sure you're cool with this?" I'm expecting him to meltdown at any moment but you wouldn't believe how cool he is to work with. Whenever he gets restless I send him money. :lol

This project is so cool and has been so much fun that I hope Simian Scrolls does a story on it.

Snick you should contact Dave Ballard about it...and make sure you guys take plenty of WIP photos!!

Hi Matt-The ship you & Snick are collaborating on is coming along quite nicely!
I still have those molds and quite a few more appliances i have yet to mold including that Heston casting taken during the making of the original apes film. Heston mask anyone?
Whoa!....So let me get this straight...You have a mold where you can make a mask or facial casting of Charlton Heston's face???

OK...I brought up the trip to my husband this morning since he had a horrible day yesterday. He said don't even think about it. I said I couldn't miss the event, that I was going to plan our trip around it. My sister is coming along, so the idea that I'm cooking up is this event will probably happen on a Friday. My sis and I will take a one-hour plane ride (about $230 RT) from Manchester to London that morning, and come back the next day. Worth it? Yes. Do I have the money? No. And I don't care. I left a voicemail for Cornelius in case he wants to plan for the trip, too.
Jess-sounds as if you need to come up with a strategy to slip away & disappear for a few whist on your trip....just try the old"I'm going to the store...." trick:D

Hi Matt-The ship you & Snick are collaborating on is coming along quite nicely!
Whoa!....So let me get this straight...You have a mold where you can make a mask or facial casting of Charlton Heston's face???

Hi, Thanks! Yes i have a positive of Heston's face taken during the making of that film. I'm not quite sure why he did it, (posterity?) though i have heard it was used to sculpt at least one of the gorilla appliances referred to through the years as the "Heston gorilla". What i need to do is apply a positive of that to a mannequin and then pull a mold from it. From that i can do latex pulls. If you think you may be interested in one, let me know and i'll add it to my list. This won't be happening within the next few weeks though; i'm a bit backed up at the moment.

Hi, Thanks! Yes i have a positive of Heston's face taken during the making of that film. I'm not quite sure why he did it, (posterity?) though i have heard it was used to sculpt at least one of the gorilla appliances referred to through the years as the "Heston gorilla". What i need to do is apply a positive of that to a mannequin and then pull a mold from it. From that i can do latex pulls. If you think you may be interested in one, let me know and i'll add it to my list. This won't be happening within the next few weeks though; i'm a bit backed up at the moment.
I seem to recall hearing about that.I'm thinking it may have been mentioned breifly in Behind the Planet of the Apes(?)
Rather than a latex mask.I was thinking of something alone the lines of just a resin or plaster casting(or another "positive" as you put it) of his face.Do you think that would that be possible?...when time allows of course.

I wonder how the Heston gorilla looks? Anybody have an idea of where to find a photo of it?
That would be very interesting to see if it does exist.If it doesn't & someone had the means to make one...that would be a hell of a "fan fiction" conversation piece!

I seem to recall hearing about that.I'm thinking it may have been mentioned breifly in Behind the Planet of the Apes(?)
I don't remember for sure, but that was likely the source. I don't think it was ever identified, but will probably turn up in a contact sheet somewhere like the unused mutant gorilla in Beneath.

Rather than a latex mask.I was thinking of something alone the lines of just a resin or plaster casting(or another "positive" as you put it) of his face.Do you think that would that be possible?...when time allows of course.
Sure can; i can make an ultracal copy of it. I'll add it to my list.

Back