Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's got to wow me first, and the sneak peek still hasn't done that. Hopefully it can be tweaked to betterness. I am on Jungle's side of the fence on this one...a haired ape would look odd with the rest of my figures...but if it really wows me, I will succumb to temptation.

I agree! I can't imagine a good wig hair opposed to a good sculpt. Look at Nova. You can't control her hair. The apes would do the same. If it were up to a vote, I would vote no for rooted hair and yes to sculpt.

I can not beleive that you Ape freaks are not excited about this. The new Apes looks better than ever. Theses are the Apes we've been looking for. The General and Gorilla soldier look amazing. I really like the look of Ursus. The uni's look to be spot on to. I really like the way the bandoliers look too. Everything on these figures look top notch. I am very excited about this new line by Hot Toys more than Ever. Very impressive indeed. Thanks HT. I'm gonna miss SS. :monkey2

I would think that most collectors (who wanted General Ursus) already own this Sideshow figure, and therefore will simply pass on the Hot Toys version. I'm very impressed with Sideshow Ursus. I don't see myself spending big bucks on something I've already got. Am I in the minority?

If you're talking just North America, you're probably right. But where are "most" collectors? There or over here? I feel pretty confident there's a big enough market here in Asia for PotA stuff or we wouldn't be seeing this line at all. I think collectors here are going to be all over these figures, so if some people across the Pacific don't want to upgrade I don't think it's going to matter much. And it's not like they're making 10,000 of them and will end up with warehouses stuffed to the brim with apes toys. Hot Toys has to know the market, and I'd bet their prime market is here in Asia.

I didn't get Sideshow's Ursus, so I'm over here champing at the bit to get HT's version. If I don't buy any of their other Apes figures, I'll definitely get that one. So that at least takes care of the one you're not going to buy.

I'll admit I'm guessing, but as I've posted before, Medicom was making Apes toys during a time when Mego was long dead and gone and Hasbro wasn't quite ready to start and the "re-imagining" was in development hell. And that ended up being a very extensive line with all kinds of characters and variants produced, all mostly based on Asian collectors and Apes fandom. I've seen firsthand the kinds of stuff I might've considered obscure if I were still living in the U.S. that goes over big here. So I wouldn't underestimate the market here or the attraction of high end Apes figures for buyers outside North America. I doubt Hot Toys is overestimating it.

Anyway, it's all guesswork as it stands now. All we have so far is an announcement and a tiny sliver of an image that barely reveals a thing. We won't know a thing until the figures hit the shelves. And if I'm wrong, who's hurt by having more PotA choices available?

Last edited:
I can not beleive that you Ape freaks are not excited about this.

I, for one, AM! I absolutely can't wait to see these babies. Sideshow's Apes really got me excited but they proved fairly elusive. I'll be all over these if they turn out as good as some of the other Hot Toys stuff... all stuff I've been impressed by but not enough to spend money on.

Until NOW.

But we'll see. I hope the hair is tweaked just a little more for the production run, but so far I'm tickled.

I can not beleive that you Ape freaks are not excited about this. The new Apes looks better than ever. Theses are the Apes we've been looking for. The General and Gorilla soldier look amazing. I really like the look of Ursus. The uni's look to be spot on to. I really like the way the bandoliers look too. Everything on these figures look top notch. I am very excited about this new line by Hot Toys more than Ever. Very impressive indeed. Thanks HT. I'm gonna miss SS. :monkey2

I'll with you Sticks. This is the best news I've heard since Sideshow originally took up the license. These apes look to kick some serious a$$! :monkey5:monkey5:monkey5

As for the money... I will have to find a way. :banghead

Also, FYI, Sideshow also short changed us with the number of amour rows Ursus has on his chest plate. It was seven not six. :rolleyes:

And I too was not happy with the sculpt of Ursus. It was the only ape not sculpted by Mat Falls. And I playfully chewed him out for it. :D

I'm really curious now to see Zira all haired up. Even in 1:1 scale that 'do is pretty hard to manage...capture...tame!! Let's see how 1:6 scale will hold Zira's hairdo. Impress me, Hot Toys!!! You know you wanna!

I bet you've never posed General Ursus kissing Zira....:D

Wait... I'm gone a week on vacation to Disneyland and you pass me up in post counts? :confused:

I just can't keep up with all of the custom postings of yours. :banghead

And a fine looking bunch of apes they are. :D

Wait... I'm gone a week on vacation to Disneyland and you pass me up in post counts? :confused:

I just can't keep up with all of the custom postings of yours. :banghead

And a fine looking bunch of apes they are. :D

Whaaaat? How did that happen? I'm here busy trying to catch up to Angel, and I didn't realize I passed you!! :banana

Looks quite a bit like him already! Very nice job! I'd love to see him painted up, though!

Should have taken a mold of that one...but too late! The rough hair bugged me and I banged him up with a hammer pretty darn good. I am trying to recapture the look, but he's looking like Bill Bixby and I need to walk away from him for the night. :banghead

Oh, and I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Flag. We finally get an authentic Ape Flag! keep em coming HTs.

I have a feeling that SS will be getting out of the 12" line all together within the next couple of years, and go strictly polystone, just my hunch. It really is a shame to see SS loose so much in the last couple of years. Even though they've scored some HEAVY duty licenses, I don't think they've made the profits they imagined they would. I really think it has to do with their choice selections.

Angel and Ironman... drop your arms and make peace. "Ape Must Not Kill Ape." :lecture

As for the topic at hand, I for one am eager for any and all figures from this new Hot Toys line and love the idea of real hair on the ape figures! :rock

You are right IJ. Angel and I seem to have a propensity for feces slinging from time to time. It should not be. We are both in the wrong. If he is satisfied with the previous offerings, that is his right. If I choose to upgrade, that is mine.
I may be more passionate on this as this is EXACTLY why I started this thread in the first place all those years ago. To get more apes produced. We are now getting exactly that.
In no way are my words meant to take away from the massive contributions Angel has made since he joined in. Sticks mentioned the flag, Angel already did a great job on those, as well as the TV series version. He's provided us with options on sculpts to add variety to our simian collections as well as wagons and statues, etc...
I am actually more excited to see the gorilla soldier than the General to be honest.
C'mon Angel, let's move forward, huh?
:duff

That link requires You to join it. I am interested in finding a direct link to the HT Apes pictures everyone is talking about. Thanks in advance!

By the way, I am just happy that Hot Toys has picked up the POTA liscense. :banana

That link requires You to join it. I am interested in finding a direct link to the HT Apes pictures everyone is talking about. Thanks in advance!

By the way, I am just happy that Hot Toys has picked up the POTA liscense. :banana

I've joined, I just don't seem to have any access to anything.

Oh, and I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Flag. We finally get an authentic Ape Flag! keep em coming HTs.

I have a feeling that SS will be getting out of the 12" line all together within the next couple of years, and go strictly polystone, just my hunch. It really is a shame to see SS loose so much in the last couple of years. Even though they've scored some HEAVY duty licenses, I don't think they've made the profits they imagined they would. I really think it has to do with their choice selections.

I mentioned their flag a couple of threads ago. Can't remember if it's on this thread or another... :D

Ah, the teaser photo! I thought that there may have been another that I had missed. Thanks Jess!:D

Back