Sideshow 1/6 R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, which is odd since the Snake Plissken is only $10? Maybe the extra stuff added some weight?

Vader is only $10. Probe Droid is only $10. And those are heavier in actual weight and volumetric based on box size. Looks like they just decided not to go flat rate on R2 and scoop back a few bucks to offset his lower price.

Vader is only $10. Probe Droid is only $10. And those are heavier in actual weight and volumetric based on box size. Looks like they just decided not to go flat rate on R2 and scoop back a few bucks to offset his lower price.

Weak... oh well, whaddyagonnado :huh

$26.85USD to Canada. Not counting the probability of rape-y customs charges. :slap

The customs charges are exactly the same as you'd pay here as far as CBSA goes. 5% GST plus provincial tax (combined HST in provinces that have that). If it was sent UPS you'll get charged exorbitant brokerage. If it was sent DHL, good luck, there's no telling ahead of time what charges they will invent and you can't actually predict what will be charged for tax, nor can you verify anything with the documentation they provide. If it was sent FedEx you may or may not have to pay a brokerage fee depending on the service level. I never order anything to Canada from the US unless it's super low value. Now with the high exchange rate it's really not worth it for most people.

I was all set to buy a pair of headphones in the US for their SRP, $129, but last night decided to do more digging. Found them at London Drugs (of all places) for $99 Canadian. Even $129 Canadian would have been cheaper as the US to Canadian rate is now over 1.23.

Cool. Now we are complaining about shipping prices.

I bet the hawk toyz version ships for free

Duh. The HT R2 will ship free, be 100% die cast with zero seams, have lights/sounds, independent A.I., and cost $20 less than the Sideshow version. Everyone had better just wait for the HT release because it's going to be a much better deal. Did I mention that the preorder goes up next week?

Duh. The HT R2 will ship free, be 100% die cast with zero seams, have lights/sounds, independent A.I., and cost $20 less than the Sideshow version. Everyone had better just wait for the HT release because it's going to be a much better deal. Did I mention that the preorder goes up next week?

And each one will come with a live Kenny baker.

You know what... I wasn't going to post anything about this figure in case people thought I was trolling, but I can't really let your comment pass without explaining to you why it's a waste of money. But first, here's some words of wisdom from The Gambler:

You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run...

This is a figure to run from. I bought it, even though I know how bad Sideshow stuff is because I thought, 'how can they **** up a droid'? It's not like there's a human face to capture in a sculpt or paint job.

Got it this week, and thank God a friend of mine who collects R2 and C3PO stuff (but doesn't really know that much about 1/6 figures) has agreed to buy it from me (and yeah, I did tell him why I was selling it).

I could really go to town on this figure but there's two reasons I'm getting rid of it. First, the build quality; nothing went wrong with it in the half hour that I examined it, but I always felt I was one unwise application of pressure away from breaking something. The thing feels in your hand like plastic crap, flimsier than any 'high end' figure I've ever bought. Sure it has an unbelievable amount of compartments and doors and moveable parts but the plastic is so thin and the mechanisms feel so fragile that there's just no pleasure in handling it. The note that comes with it warns you how fragile it is. If you could x-ray it you'd see it was full of springs and these springs govern the movement of many different shards of plastic that feel like eggshell; and if just one malfunctioned you'd be left with a figure that would sadly accuse you forever of doing a dumb thing in buying it.

I realise half the people who are reading this will be saying 'but I don't handle my figures I plan to stick this in a detolf and never touch it' and indeed that's more or less what my mate will be doing (next to a Tamashi 3PO) and it probably will look okay. But I have a big problem with the paint job on this. It's way too muted, too grey, and the 'realistic dirt' applications were overambitious. They should have done a sparkling white and blue R2. What they've produced is a kind of 1/6 scale POTF2 paint job.

I'm not being intentionally rude about this figure, I paid to get it shipped from China and I really wanted to like it, but this is the figure that has taught me never, ever to buy Sideshow again. Even at the price they've produced it for it just feels like such an inferior product in hand.

Oh yeah, the seams are hardly noticeable :)

:)Well aren't you a ray of sunshine on this 7 day processing notice:lol

Hopefully you just got a China knock off:wink1:

:)Well aren't you a ray of sunshine on this 7 day processing notice:lol

Hopefully you just got a China knock off:wink1:

Probably!

Seriously, I really WANTED to like this figure to put it next to my Jedi Luke custom. How I found it is just my opinion, if people like it that's great for them. And not everyone is going to care about the 'feel' of the figure, and many people will love the paint apps.

but this is the figure that has taught me never, ever to buy Sideshow again. Even at the price they've produced it for it just feels like such an inferior product in hand.

That's a fair, criticism, albeit subjective conclusion. I'm also glad you didn't mention waiting for a release from another company, because chances are it wouldn't be any better with regards to the specific items you mentioned.

With respect to not handling it, as some might say, I think it just depends on how dexterous your fingers are. Some folks have said the Probe Droid is ultra fragile and complained about its weight and thin plastics. That's what you get when you scale something down to 1/6. I didn't find that product fragile for its size at all, and when handled carefully it's pretty robust. I can insert and remove every leg quite easily 10 times a minute if I wanted to without issue. I don't expect any different from R2.

One way to make him ultra robust would have been to forgo any opening panels. But having those panels, they have to be thin to appear in scale, you can't get around that. At the end of the day, you're complaining about things that many long-time collectors take for granted - we know how these things are built, we know what to expect. I'm not going to suggest that you have to like them - like I said, totally fair criticisms. Just that they're not necessarily reasons for anyone else, let alone the majority of other collectors, to run.

Now post some photos before you get rid of it.

Back