Sideshow ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can discern it, its there.

Naa. If you can discern it due to error, it's meaningless. ;) That's like saying all the ships should have guide and suspension wires. The two tones on the face mask are literally at the bottom of my my list when evaluating a Vader. Getting that "right" doesn't make up for incorrect height, skinny arms, lack of relief/texture on suit, bad helmet shape and placement, incorrect face mask shape/size, etc...

Last edited:
Naa. If you can discern it due to error, it's meaningless. ;) That's like saying all the ships should have guide and suspension wires. The two tons on the face mask are literally at the bottom of my my list when evaluating a Vader. Getting that "right" doesn't make up for incorrect height, skinny arms, lack of relief/texture on suit, bad helmet shape and placement, incorrect face mask shape/size, etc...

Well, I agree wholeheartedly about the second part. I don't really care and never think about the two-tone.

And the wire bit is a good comeback but not quite the same thing because those wires may be rigged for a specific shot and not permanent to every shot, whereas Vader's paint scheme, like his eyes, were fixed for every shot -- so I would have to count that as a costume element (whether intended as such originally or not).

He is right though. The two tone cheeks are strictly a prop detail for filming. It's one of the details I don't give rat's ass about. ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

Say all you want but it does clearly show in the movie as being silver. Only in the darkest scenes is it looking all black.

It's the key difference between ROTS and the OT.

It is a prop detail to help with shooting the helmet, but just the same when it sits on it's shelf the very effect of it will work as good in your home as it did on screen. It's essential for the figure IMO.

Say all you want but it does clearly show in the movie as being silver. Only in the darkest scenes is it looking all black.

Is that an example of one of the dark scenes? Because nothing in that image shows up as silver - all the lighter parts simply look like black being hit with reflection - which is precisely why it was done in the first place.

It is a prop detail to help with shooting the helmet, but just the same when it sits on it's shelf the very effect of it will work as good in your home as it did on screen. It's essential for the figure IMO.

I'm not saying it doesn't look good and doesn't help, just that I don't find it essential - it's not even close to being as important as literally everything else. ;) It's the absolute final detail that should be considered when finishing off a nice Vader.

When greater than 99% of people who immediately recognize Vader don't know about that detail, it's not very important. :lecture

Darth Vader has always been my favorite Star Wars Character and when I first saw the differences in color on his helmet was in the 90's when the bust came out for the reveal. I think it was done by Illusive concepts. I appreciate what the paint did for filming and I am ok with it on the figures to help with the lighting. My biggest issue on the figure is the skinny arms which could have been prevented if Sideshow hadn't changed up the body suit. The overall height isn't as much of an issue for me either but I do wish they had given more left hands. I think the figure is the best overall representation of Vader and I am happy with him. I need to get a lightsaber set up from Pixel though to make him more complete. I think the Hot Toys version will have some issues as well once it is out. We all have our differing opinions especially with childhood favorites. I hope the Hot Toys version is good too but it will take a lot to make me purchase it.

what color of black did you paint the gloves and his boots. what all did you do for the articulation in his feet as I am trying this

Are those Sideshow gloves? The facemask isn't, and very interested to hear what else was altered. That Vader looks amazing.

Is that an example of one of the dark scenes? Because nothing in that image shows up as silver - all the lighter parts simply look like black being hit with reflection - which is precisely why it was done in the first place.

I'm not saying it doesn't look good and doesn't help, just that I don't find it essential - it's not even close to being as important as literally everything else. ;) It's the absolute final detail that should be considered when finishing off a nice Vader.

When greater than 99% of people who immediately recognize Vader don't know about that detail, it's not very important. :lecture

The same could be said about any portrait. If they get everything EXCEPT the nose right someone would still recognize Harrison Ford in a sculpt, however it's just not quite there. Same goes for the paint, it's an important part for me. It's the thing that gives it character. You could say the same about the asymmetrical design, most people don't see Vader isn't all that symmetrical, however, I do. For me it's the main reason Vader isn't so robot-like, because like human's he's not symmetrical.

revenge2newhope01.jpg

For me the one on the right is Vader, not the one on the left. I can see the one on the left IS vader, but just not quite there.

That's the take-away here. I didn't try to negate what we as individuals like, I mentioned specifically that the paint details don't matter to over 99% of people who know Vader. And it's most definitely not the same thing as a nose that's off - that's the kind of detail I said specifically was much more important than the silver paint.

WRT to the photos, the sculpt on the left is all sorts of wonky with a crooked helmet, wrong shapes/sizes and missing details. The lack of silver paint is the least of the concerns. Which is what I've been saying.

They didn't paint alternating colors on the ROTS mask, did they? I've been looking at some pics, and if they did it's awfully hard to detect.

Must be one more reason that helmet looks so off.

The same could be said about any portrait. If they get everything EXCEPT the nose right someone would still recognize Harrison Ford in a sculpt, however it's just not quite there. Same goes for the paint, it's an important part for me. It's the thing that gives it character. You could say the same about the asymmetrical design, most people don't see Vader isn't all that symmetrical, however, I do. For me it's the main reason Vader isn't so robot-like, because like human's he's not symmetrical.

View attachment 162229

For me the one on the right is Vader, not the one on the left. I can see the one on the left IS vader, but just not quite there.

Hmm; left Vader from ROTS, right Vader from ANH.

what color of black did you paint the gloves and his boots. what all did you do for the articulation in his feet as I am trying this

I used mars black acrylic,any flat black should do really, works really well in getting a leathery look to them. You could use a light coat of satin varnish after if you want to add a bit more sheen. The feet are from a DID dragon body, they fit nice and tight in the boot. Hope that helps you a little

It looks more bulky aka more correct then the ss body. Wrapped I guess? Although the skinny arms etc do stand way more out on photos then when you actually have him in your hand, had they got that right the figure would gone from amazing to superb.

I will honestly be very surprised if there is ever a better 1:6 esb/rotj Vader along the line in the next 5+ years. We can find little nitpicks like height etc. no doubt, but honestly we're spoiled. This Vader was at least for me worth the money and then some, very high quality materials across the board although I personally could have lived without the army of hands and massive display base pushing the price up.

I just packed mine away and thought of a question. For soft cloth materials such as his cloak and body wraps, any tricks to avoid them crumpling and wrinkling up?

As in ways to fold them when packaging. There is always the old put them between two big books tricks to remedy it, but if anyone have cloth folding skills of a high enough level I'd love to hear it :clap

That's the take-away here. I didn't try to negate what we as individuals like, I mentioned specifically that the paint details don't matter to over 99% of people who know Vader. And it's most definitely not the same thing as a nose that's off - that's the kind of detail I said specifically was much more important than the silver paint.

WRT to the photos, the sculpt on the left is all sorts of wonky with a crooked helmet, wrong shapes/sizes and missing details. The lack of silver paint is the least of the concerns. Which is what I've been saying.

I agree, but 99% of the people would also not spend 250$ on an action figure. For that money it better be accurate. :lol

It's hard to believe the HT Batman figures get molested to on-screen perfection (I'm guilty to that as well) compared to Vadah.

Back