Sideshow selling QMx Serenity!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great for you, but what about the poor smuck who thinks - wow, I can save $2000, I'll just get the kit and do it myself! But he has no modeling experience at all and either abandons it completely or ends up paying the $2000 to have someone like you build it for him. And then goes on all the boards bad-mouthing the company about how they put out this kit that is impossible to put together.
First of all, funny how you left out the two sentences after the one you quoted saying how this is actually a fairly simple kit to paint and put together if you have a moderate level of skill.

Second of all, most models have a skill difficulty disclaimer that they make you aware of before you make a purchase for this very reason.

This is a golden age for collectibles and not everyone will be able to afford everything. Between efx, Sideshow, Cinemaquette, QMX, Weta - no one person can own everything that comes out. I'd love to have a lifesize C-3PO and R2, but I can't afford the price - so I do without.
Heres the difference. With those licences, you have many more options. If you can't afford a life size r2d2, you just go to the hundreds of other options for getting a physical representation of one.

But this is the only Serentity (dinky key chains dont count). You dont have 2500 to shell out? Then you will never have a model of Serenity.

Last edited:
First of all, funny how you left out the two sentences after the one you quoted saying how this is actually a fairly simple kit to paint and put together if you have a moderate level of skill.

That's where we'll have to disagree. QMx said that it was an extremely complicated kit themselves that would require a master skill level. I've seen it a few times in person and I'd tend to agree with them.

Considering it's based off a 3D model where physics don't matter, it'll be harder to put together than other models.

But still I wish they would release some kind of blank kit that could be put together and painted. I'm actually kind of considering repainting it if I ever buy it. I've done it before (hence the pic in my sig, the 3D model I made)

Its It actually is a very simple kit. It is mostly big pieces. The only thing that requires any level of skill to assemble is the pipes around the engine, and even those arent that hard if you include a diagram of thier placement.
As for the painting, its nothing that anyone that has ever put together a model before and done and ok job couldn't do.

Last edited:
Actually yes. A mass produced kit with little labor costs involved would sell many more units than a very expesive fully painted diorama which would only be really marketable to a wealthy niche of a cult fanbase.

Its It actually is a very simple kit. It is mostly big pieces. The only thing that requires any level of skill to putassemble is the pies around the enguine, and even those arent that hard if you include a diagram of thier placement.
As for the apinting, well, its nothing that nayone that has ever put together a model before and done and ok job couldnt do.

# Incredible complexity.The kit used to build Serenity consists of more than 250 parts, including resin, brass, aluminum and laser-cut acrylic. Many of the parts are custom-cut by hand, just for your replica.
# Film-quality build. Some 30 different colors, including flat and metallic paint, are used in the ship's multilayer paint job.
# Spitting image.Weathering, wear and other painting effects are used to exactly mirror the movie version of ship.
# Superior components. Surfaces are crafted to simulate real-world materials – metal, ceramic, even the mirrored surfaces of the solar panels.
# No decals. All graphics on Serenity are painted on by hand, even Serenity's logo.

So are you saying that the above is so easy to do, that 1000's of Firefly fans around the world could do it, or that QMx are lying and it's nowhere near as hard or complex as they say it is.

There's still nothing to say that a kit won't be released, but I'd expect it to be less complex, no lighting and at a later date.

I'd be very interested to see some images of before and after kits that you have done.

250 pieces for a model isnt all that much.

IM not saying that the work that QMX's modelers are doing isnt very nice and of a professional display quality, but rather just attacking the idea that you have to posess these pro-level modeling skills to put together a kit like this and have it look decent.

1000s of Firefly fans all over the world could put together this kit by themselves and have thier own Serentiy.

Since, they're kind of doing a kit with the mule--it's prepainted but not assembled--I would imagine that a Serenity kit isn't out of the question. I think it's more of a matter whether they can maintain the quality of the castings, since they had issues with the castings they used for the full replicas

Since, they're kind of doing a kit with the mule--it's prepainted but not assembled--I would imagine that a Serenity kit isn't out of the question. I think it's more of a matter whether they can maintain the quality of the castings, since they had issues with the castings they used for the full replicas

I believe the Mule is only about 25 parts though and it's keyed for assembly. A completely different animal than the ship. If I thought the mule was an interesting subject for a collectible I'd have no problem getting it as a kit since it was designed for easy assembly.

Has anyone else received their BDR? I'm real anxious to see more pictures while I wait on mine. I still have a few months to wait so I need something to hold me over.

Not yet, at least not that I'm away of, but then I wasn't even aware of anyone else here apart from me and boochydog that was still waiting, so welcome to the club.

I understand that some more did get sent out recently, but I guess none of them are forum type people. I suspect those were the remaining of the first batch and I'm pretty sure I'm in the second batch, so am hoping for some news soon.

UC7, and updates/progress or new pics?

I believe the Mule is only about 25 parts though and it's keyed for assembly. A completely different animal than the ship. If I thought the mule was an interesting subject for a collectible I'd have no problem getting it as a kit since it was designed for easy assembly.

I'm sorry huh? Can someone tell me where I can look into the kit for the Mule? I must have missed something. A big something.

Serenity looks fantastic. I missed seeing it in person at comicon, but from the pictures and videos it looks like a work of art. And I'm sure it is even better in person.

My question is to the owners of this piece. Now that you've had it for a while, what are your feelings on it? I really want to buy one, but the price, especially after taxes and shipping is over $2700! That gives me pause, but I still may pull the trigger.

I guess I am mainly asking about the quality of the ship itself (how it feels weight-wise, feels solid, etc) and the paintwork. I know the lighting is top-notch and it really makes the piece come to life.

Anyone have a guess on price range? And thank you for that Yama.

Due to a lack of proper reference, it's hard to make a guess for the Mule kit. No doubt way less then Serenity (that's a given) and while a kit should be cheaper, you have to remember, it is still all pre-painted, so all you are doing is gluing it together.
At the same time, it is also a fair size, the base is around 13" x 11", so my guess, something around $200, I'd be very surprised if it was much less.

My question is to the owners of this piece. Now that you've had it for a while, what are your feelings on it? I really want to buy one, but the price, especially after taxes and shipping is over $2700! That gives me pause, but I still may pull the trigger.

That's going to be an interesting question, since I'm pretty sure, like me, everyone else here that has ordered, did so direct from QMx, on the first pre-order day and used the discount code. As such, the replica was $1995 + shipping (and whatever local taxes, etc). That's a far cry from their default list price of $2495 and Sideshow's silly $2700.

Now, speaking as a customer that has yet to receive said BDR and having seen all the updated photo's, extra lighting bits added since the comiccon preview, etc, $2495 would still give me serious pause for thought. I may still have ordered and if I had mine already, there may be no question about it, but it's hard to know for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, guru. Yeah, the price is still keeping me on the fence. Man, I wish I had known about the pre-order for this. I would have pre-ordered it no question with that discount. Where was I when all this was going on, haha.

I didn't know they added more lights after comicon. What did they add?

Yeah, it was the mess hall windows, plus they improved the paint master for the reactor flaps, which now look a lot better.

Back