Sideshow selling QMx Serenity!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the ship herself .......... I've been looking a lot and closely at her during the weekend and she is a very beautiful piece of art. Lot's of details but most important: she looks and feels "right" A used and almost worn-out ship that has been through a lot. And that's excatly how it should be. I can almost see Kaylee hard at work in the engine room.

Well that's all good news. Quick question, on looking at your first pic that shows the whole ship, I can't see the main larger reactor flaps, just the smaller, inner ones?

Someone asked about the signature plate: it comes with glue on the back and you can then place whereever you want.

ahh, that would explain it then, which is a nice way to do it, tho now of course, you have some sleepless nights to try and decide exactly where to place it.

I hope, and I'm sure it will, everything turns out ok with you guys BDR's. Anthony, I hope it's pristine when it arrives for you down there! :D

Thanks Max, I've not doubt it will be, as long as customs don't do anything stupid.....

I got to see UC7's last night in person, and the Serenity piece is really nice, and the pictures don't capture the complexity of the paint job. The level of detail is really remarkable, especially given the size of the ship. The paint has so many layers, washes and drybrushing techniques that don't show up in the photos. The Shuttles look great, and I can understand the frustration of the the order not being correct. The lighting systems are really well implemented, and they add tremendously to the display.

The only quibbles that I would be a little disappointed in are the antennae around the cockpit and the screws that hold the flaps in place. The antenna could clearly have been removable and shipped more safely, especially since the flaps came unattached. I would guess that the flaps are unattached as they are a customizable piece and this was done for ease of construction.

I wish I had the resources to have this guy though, but I can certainly appreciate when we are hanging out!!!

P.S. Thanks for Troll 2

I'm sorry if any of my posts seemed like any kind of bash against your company. The reason I was posting my information here was to get opinions by others with respect to my next step.

Not at all, I’m a collector myself and I completely understand your concerns. I received your PM and information uc7 and I’ve passed the information on to Jessica who will be contacting you directly to get things worked out for you.

Please remember if anyone has any problems, questions or concerns with their Serenity Artisan replica don’t hesitate to contact the QMx Concierges Service.

Thanks for the welcome theguru1, we intend to get this all sorted out quickly.

Well that's all good news. Quick question, on looking at your first pic that shows the whole ship, I can't see the main larger reactor flaps, just the smaller, inner ones?

That's because I haven't attached them yet (with the screws). The picture was taken right after opening the crate.

That's because I haven't attached them yet (with the screws). The picture was taken right after opening the crate.

ahhh, that would explain it then, I thought that uc7's was like that out of the box, but I understand now.
I'll have to speak with Jessica to see what options one has that can do away with those screws.

ahhh, that would explain it then, I thought that uc7's was like that out of the box, but I understand now.
I'll have to speak with Jessica to see what options one has that can do away with those screws.

thanks for doing all the legwork for us, guru. it is greatly appreciated!!!

thanks for doing all the legwork for us, guru. it is greatly appreciated!!!

np boochy. I'm currently exploring the option to get the reactor flaps without the holes and gluing them on myself.
No matter what, those screws just have to go, which either means having the flaps all closed, which kills the lighting effect, etc some what, or using glue to hold them in place once the replica arrives.

So right now, I'm just making sure that I fully understand what is involved in doing it myself, don't want to stuff up a $2K+ model :horror

Even so, I have a feeling a number of people will want to consider doing the same thing.

The kind folks at QMx forwarded my issues to the company that built my particular model. That company tells me that replacement parts are going to be sent. I am hoping that this means reactor panels without holes and possibly some spare antennae to glue into place.

The reactor panels that I already had received with the model have an underside that would allow gluing in such a way that they would remain open - they just need to get rid of the holes. ;)

The reactor panels that I already had received with the model have an underside that would allow gluing in such a way that they would remain open - they just need to get rid of the holes. ;)

That's good to know and in fact was one of the questions I asked Jessica about. So it sounds like gluing them on wouldn't be too much trouble, just need to press down (tho not too hard) long enough for the glue to dry, especially the underside ones.

So maybe instead of screws and an allen key, the kit just needs a small tube of suitable glue.

I only have one minor fear about gluing them on, if I ever have to pack her back up to move house or whatever, then the flaps may get broken, which I assume is why they aren't glued one in the first place for shipping.

That's good to know and in fact was one of the questions I asked Jessica about. So it sounds like gluing them on wouldn't be too much trouble, just need to press down (tho not too hard) long enough for the glue to dry, especially the underside ones.

So maybe instead of screws and an allen key, the kit just needs a small tube of suitable glue.

I only have one minor fear about gluing them on, if I ever have to pack her back up to move house or whatever, then the flaps may get broken, which I assume is why they aren't glued one in the first place for shipping.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking there should be pegs or something on the underside that would allow you to easily attach them but remove them if you need to.

Actually, considering that it would have been possible to create a hinge that would allow you to position them open or closed--since the movie version of the ship doesn't have any visible hinges (it's attached on the inside somehow) so there could have been a hinge there.

Actually, considering that it would have been possible to create a hinge that would allow you to position them open or closed--since the movie version of the ship doesn't have any visible hinges (it's attached on the inside somehow) so there could have been a hinge there.

I must admit that having them moveable would have been cool, but then you also have the two smaller flaps underneath as well. So before you know it, things just get more and more complex.
Being able to rotate the engines would have been great as well, but then on top of getting complex, your also introducing more things that can go wrong or break.
Sure in the old days they likely would have done just that and more, but then the model only needed to survive long enough for filming to complete. Plus someone would be with it to make running repair's.

Also, remember, that the movie version (plus series), only ever existed in the computer. Way easier to do stuff that one can't do for real, especially when you have no real weight or gravity to deal with. Plus nothing that gets constant physical handling.

The more I consider the reactor panel placement, the more I think about doing something outside of gluing. I may just end up using the screws "underneath" the new panels (without holes). The screw top could offset the panel just enough to provide the right angle. I could then use a material such as a tack adhesive to lightly attach the flap to the screw top. This may be fine for a light piece of plastic on an immobile statue.

Also, remember, that the movie version (plus series), only ever existed in the computer. Way easier to do stuff that one can't do for real, especially when you have no real weight or gravity to deal with. Plus nothing that gets constant physical handling.

They did make a miniature for the flick.... and then crashed it. RIP WASH!!

The more I consider the reactor panel placement, the more I think about doing something outside of gluing. I may just end up using the screws "underneath" the new panels (without holes). The screw top could offset the panel just enough to provide the right angle. I could then use a material such as a tack adhesive to lightly attach the flap to the screw top. This may be fine for a light piece of plastic on an immobile statue.

Had thoughts of double sided tape or other options, but then not sure how it would hold up over time or if there was enough surface for it to work. Still, feel free to experiment and let us know how it all works out :D

They did make a miniature for the flick.... and then crashed it. RIP WASH!!

I wasn't aware of that, got a link to the info and who made the model.

I wasn't aware of that, got a link to the info and who made the model.

You didn't notice? It's when the ship is crash landing after the space battle

View attachment 23773

View attachment 23774

It's not a bad model, but there's a few issues--mainly the top section rattles around where it's connected to the cargo hold after they hit the landing strip, and there's a big section added to the bottom, probably something to attach it to a track to move it along.

Main issue with it is that it's practically not painted and just metallic, they even forgot the Serenity logo (not the only time)

I'm pretty sure ther was a whole featurette on the Dvd of Serenity about it. Can't remember which version of it though.

hmmm, I totally missed all that somehow, and man, that's a big model, I bet it makes the QMx one seem cheap.

I guess I was so caught up in the story and crash that I wasn't paying that much attention, will have to have a closer look next time.

they even forgot the Serenity logo (not the only time)
I thought that they painted over the Serentiy Logo when they converted it to a Reaver ship (hence why Inara has to repaint it at the end of the movie)?

Back