Star Ace 1/6 - Harry Potter - Severus Snape

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's the hair. While I'm very glad they went with sculpted hair rather than rooted for this character, there's something too thick about the way they having it laying on the sides of the head. I think the likeness is great, but the hair is wonking it up.

And it's nice to see that Harry Potter fans get to have their own version of the 'brown coat/blue coat' wars.

While I agree about the hair, I also see something off in the forehead. Maybe a little too squared off or something? Was one of the first things my eye noticed when I saw this the first time.

Looks good overall... but the face is just off a bit, I think maybe it's the expression being too neutral, I think either stern or with the slightly open mouth would have been my preference. It's recognizable, but could definitely be improved.

apr2009.jpg

I'm liking it more now with the official pics. But I think the head needs to sit a little lower which will help the overall look

Very true, you don't see that much of his neck in screen shots and I think that is probably one of the things making the head look off.

But it's the outfit he wore if Half Blood Prince.

It should be purple, but I think the purple they chose (while close) is a bit too vibrant. The buttons should also be purple andd the weave of the material and stitching are not a good match IMO.

Severus-Snape-The-Half-Blood-Prince-severus-snape-7683215-1280-1024.jpg

I agree. I'm fine with it being purple since that's the real color. it just needs to be a darker, almost black, purple.

Will definitely have to add a padded belly under suit as well.

Yeah, that purple robe has got to go. I don't care if the screen used robes were purple, they turned out black on screen and that's what it needs to be. Switch which film its based on, but just change them to black! I really don't want to have to end up dying it myself, because I will. Voldemort's robes at least appeared dark green at times, Snape was never purple.

The robes in person are kind of purple, but on screen they do appear to be a dark navy blue. The final figure will have darker robes.

Another fine addition to this fantastic line of figures. Even though I no longer collect Harry Potter stuff, Snape was my absolute favourite character in the film series, so I may have to pick one of these up. :)

Uhh. Hmm. I'm not feeling this one. The head is off to me. Looks like Snape, if you look but it doesn't jump out as Snape to me. The expression is disappointing. It doesn't match up with the Snape in my mind. And that helmet hair. Just seems kind of dollish to me. The taut loose clothes make it a bit too dollish to me, too. Aargh. I'm having trouble liking this one. And I am trying because I'm in for the long haul and want to get them all (pretty much). My final complaint is that price. You can get superior Hot Toys figures for less than that. I can understand why companies like Big Chief Studios keep the prices high since they're such a small company and their line so niche. But at least they admit to it. Star Ace has giant X-Plus behind them at least. Hmm. Well, I'm still in. I'm really, really hoping that these photos just suck and that it will look more impressive in person, as they usually do. Sorry for the rant. Just had to get all that out.

As for the purple being far too vibrant: I'm hoping that the photos themselves are what's overly saturated. I expect the vibrancy of the purple will be more reserved in person.

Tough pass for now. To much wrong with this figure for the asking price of $220.

Sculpt is off.
The hands are still very cheap looking.
To much purple.

When more pics show up and it looks better, I will order on the spot.

overall I like this figure and accessories. This is suppose to be from the Half Blood Prince though. Severus was not potions teacher in that book or film. He took the position of Defense against the Dark Arts. The accessories are not accurate to that book or film. It is a minor nitpick. I do like the accessories though.

In their defense, he never actually got much screen time doing DAtDA stuff in the film, so it probably made sense fro them to toss some potions stuff in so that they didn't release a barebones figure.

The more I look at this, the more frustrated I am.

C'mon, Star Ace...

people here don't even want an accurate costume, so why should the accessories match?

I think people are saying a black robe is inaccurate, and that it was purple. 1) It's purple in the promotional images only, and definitely not to the degree of purple on the figure. 2) It's black in the films OR AT LEAST the films were color corrected and filtered to the point that it was, for all intents and purposes, black.

Half-Blood-Prince-Screencap-severus-snape-11996499-1024-576.jpg

Dave has said that it's going to be darker purple on the production figure, so if that's true, then great!

As for the accessories, I think they work, because he was potions for so much of the time.

Attachments

• Half-Blood-Prince-Screencap-severus-snape-11996499-1024-576.jpg
    Half-Blood-Prince-Screencap-severus-snape-11996499-1024-576.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 109
The robes in person are kind of purple, but on screen they do appear to be a dark navy blue. The final figure will have darker robes.

That's great to hear! As long as they are an off-black color, I'll be happy. That vibrant purple was just wrong, even if the robes are a shade of purple.

overall I like this figure and accessories. This is suppose to be from the Half Blood Prince though. Severus was not potions teacher in that book or film. He took the position of Defense against the Dark Arts. The accessories are not accurate to that book or film. It is a minor nitpick. I do like the accessories though.

Another reason to not use the HBP 'purple' robe. I remember the HP1 promo pics very well and Snape was definitely wearing all back except the white undershirt. His accessories say Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone anyway, might as well make it that version since they went with the thinner face as opposed to the slightly heavier look in the later films.

i was hoping it would be off so it would resemble Trent Reznor instead...but its neither trent nor snape.lolz

I'm off to the WB London Studio Tour again in a couple of weeks. Been 4 or 5 times. I'm gonna take pictures of each costume - the real costumes, in normal/mid lighting.

As I said in the Voldemort thread - his real costume is much lighter green with patches of colours. It's the camera filters and lenses that make it look darker. Same with Snape.

I'm personally happy if the figures match the on-screen appearance, but I'm still taking pictures for my own comparison.

Back