Star Trek: Discovery

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Star Trek TV Series in 2017!

Gentlemen, we are in a period of female driven "heroic roles" in fantasy-adventure films that traditionally went to men.

The term "Mary Sue" will likely take on a more general meaning for entirety of female usurped Heroic leads.

Why is this happening? Because a generation grew up with Xena, warrior princess.

What does it mean? Men are unnecessary and dangerous.

What do we do? Let's make Men great again!

I'm all for it, and certainly looking forward to some new trek. for what its worth, I think that the majority of folk questioning the female captain, aren't doing it for a sexist reason, its the fact that I think its fairly established in canon that there weren't any female captains in starfleet until after the time of TOS. There's actually a line in Turnabout Intruder, "your world of starship captains doesn't include women"

If that's true then I can't say I like it either. I wasn't aware of this. I don't like when they **** with canon. It's why I don't like the Abrams-verse. (and no, time travel does not explain all the changes they made in those films, some of them but not all of them)

Last edited:

Why is this happening?
Because a generation grew up with Xena, warrior princess.
She's a villain turned anti-hero turned hero. A minor character who grew up to be its own thing.
Heck, even Hercules started as a pompous jerk who was taught humility by Amazons and Deianira. :lol

What does it mean?
That the license holders are pathetic and dumb.

What do we do?
We pay no attention (or money) to it.
People forget how they are able to do just that. :D

Janeway was good in the role.
She was the best ST captain.
Picard is still my favorite tho. :monkey3

She was the best ST captain.
Picard is still my favorite tho. :monkey3

I hadn't put much thought into it, I think Picard was probably the best all around, but yeah, I liked Janeway a lot. She worked under very different conditions in fairness. I don't care what gender the captain is as long as it's a commanding performance. It's the ship design I still can't get behind, I appreciate the influence, I just don't like it one bit aesthetically.

They have theirs....

***** hat.jpg

NOW we have ours....

dick hat.jpg

Meh. That canon has been screwy from the beginning. The very first episode of Trek ("The Cage") had a female first officer, who was put in command when Pike was captured. Depending on which Trek you follow, there's an argument that that, in itself, makes her the first female captain (there's a line early on in "Enterprise" where Travis says being put in command makes you a captain; basically the entire plot of Trek '09's rank craziness confirms this).

There was a female captain in Star Trek IV, so by about 15 years later (-ish) it wasn't a thing, anyway.

Erika Hernandez was the captain of the NX-02 in "Enterprise" looooong before that episode, too - some people explain that away in that Columbia wasn't a Federation starship, only an Earth starship. But come on. Seriously?

The only way that line really makes sense in light of all that is that there wasn't a female starship captain at that moment in time. And considering (depending, again, on how you read canon and TOS' very loose dealing with it back then) there were only 13 starships at the time ANYWAY, and a few of those had been destroyed or lost (The Defiant, the Intrepid, the Constitution), it's not all that surprising that there just wouldn't have been. NOT that there COULDN'T have been, just that there wasn't at that moment (Or, that there was some really conservative upper echelon in power that was sexist at that time...ahem).

So, point is...it's a moot point. You can canon away anything.

Personally, I'm meh on everything thus far - the ship design, the uniforms, the casting - except for Doug Jones. Always loved him. Michele Yeoh - in the one movie I've seen her in, Tomorrow Never Dies - was downright horrible. So we'll see.

A chick commander? That takes place before TOS?

:lol

Maybe commander of the laundry room.

Number One was the first Officer of the Enterprise under Captain Pike. Although the Pilot was reshot and NBC rejected the notion of a woman in command so Majel Barrett was instead given the role of Nurse Chapel for the regular series, it's still cannon since Number One was shown in flashbacks in the TOS episode The Menagerie parts 1 & 2.
Number_One.jpg

There's also Lieutenant Commander Ann Mulhall in the TOS episode Return to Tomorrow, the highest ranking woman in Starfleet that was shown in TOS:
Ann_Mulhall.jpg

It's not unusual for women to be in command in TOS. :lecture :borg

The most heroic women carry guns AND Asians. :lecture

rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-international-trailer-2-jyn-on-jedha-saves-girl-700x291.jpg

I'm waiting for the EU story on that kid about how she miraculously escaped being blown up by the Death Star and grew up to be a BAD ASS inspired by Jyn Erso.

and is Rey's mom.

I'm not sure if you guys know, but we've actually, already, had women generals in the U.S. military! We live in a crazy, crazy world.

Did they wear those supper short skirts like the chicks did in TOS?

Why is this happening? Because a generation grew up with Xena, warrior princess.

What does it mean?

It means people were watching Xena in hopes of catching a glimpse of nipple. They finally got it in Spartacus.

I'm not sure if you guys know, but we've actually, already, had women generals in the U.S. military! We live in a crazy, crazy world.

No wonder why we haven't won a war since WWII.

Gentlemen, we are in a period of female driven "heroic roles" in fantasy-adventure films that traditionally went to men.

The term "Mary Sue" will likely take on a more general meaning for entirety of female usurped Heroic leads.

What does it mean? Men are unnecessary and dangerous.

What do we do? Let's make Men great again!

How to make men Great again? start by getting our collective heads out of our collective asses......

Back