Star Wars: Skeleton Crew

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is suburbia is it just looks too earthlike. You can have similar style environments but they need to feel alien. A green lawn is too earthy. Make it something alien.
Each instance on its own is forgivable, problem is that each instance takes us a step closer to contemporary earth. We want a galaxy far far away. If suburban environment was the only earthlike aspect in the show it would be easier to swallow but we got school buses etc along with it.

We were able to identify with Luke despite the alien environment he was in. His home looked nothing like ours but it functioned as if it were a real home, we could understand it. People from anywhere in the world could identify with it the same way that kids of any nation can identify with classic Pingu with his igloo. We do not need to see people living in homes like ours, using transport like ours, wearibg clothes like ours etc. We only need to understand a characters situation and motivations in order to identify with them. WallE did it well.

Disney seems to think that kids will only identify with these new characters if they live in a familiar environment with lawns and school buses. Kind of a shallow and American centric way to do it.

Problem is suburbia is it just looks too earthlike. You can have similar style environments but they need to feel alien. A green lawn is too earthy. Make it something alien.
Each instance on its own is forgivable, problem is that each instance takes us a step closer to contemporary earth. We want a galaxy far far away. If suburban environment was the only earthlike aspect in the show it would be easier to swallow but we got school buses etc along with it.

We were able to identify with Luke despite the alien environment he was in. His home looked nothing like ours but it functioned as if it were a real home, we could understand it. People from anywhere in the world could identify with it the same way that kids of any nation can identify with classic Pingu with his igloo. We do not need to see people living in homes like ours, using transport like ours, wearibg clothes like ours etc. We only need to understand a characters situation and motivations in order to identify with them. WallE did it well.

Disney seems to think that kids will only identify with these new characters if they live in a familiar environment with lawns and school buses. Kind of a shallow and American centric way to do it.
Is it that far fetched to believe that out of all the planets in that entire galaxy that at least one wouldn’t look like Earth?

I don’t think it really matters anyway, they’re gonna spend like 10 minutes on that planet before going on their adventure.

Tatooine was pretty much the amalgamation of a Middle Eastern desert landscape with Mediterranean architecture, and the Wild West in Mos Eisley. It was an alien world, yet, very much identifiable in the inspirations that Lucas used to conceive it.

I think the only reason people are more upset with the 'burbs, is because it's a bit too close to home. You either live in one, or drive by the suburbs on a frequent basis. It's everyday life. But, settings like that serve as a foundation to make the characters and their stories more relatable to the audience.

After witnessing The Acolyte, this is not something I'm going to be pulling hairs over.

1723569633567.png

kill-bill-gogo.gif

Tatooine was pretty much the amalgamation of a Middle Eastern desert landscape with Mediterranean architecture, and the Wild West in Mos Eisley.
On a random desert planet inhabited by humans you'd very likely stumble upon those types of simple, yet practical clay structures. I don't suspect there were many Star Wars fans back in the 70's who thought it reminded them of their own homes. Which kind of helps if you want to get immersed in a sci-fi fantasy saga...
I think the only reason people are more upset with the 'burbs, is because it's a bit too close to home.
And a very solid reason it is...

But, settings like that serve as a foundation to make the characters and their stories more relatable to the audience.

No offense, but man o man, I am sick and tired of hearing lines like these days.

It doesn't matter where it's set, whether it's live action or even a damn cartoon. Good writing and characters are what make it relatable and what an audience will gravitate to/go with.

"A long time ago in a galaxy......" ain't "Western"suburbia. Who the hell wants to watch a galaxy far away that looks like what's out your own front door???

AI could easily write better **** than the garbage these clowns are churning out. Just say to it "based on the OT" and it could open a world of possibilities that would be a million times better than these inexperienced, unworldly, juveniles are writing.

"A long time ago in a galaxy......" ain't "Western"suburbia. Who the hell wants to watch a galaxy far away that looks like what's out your own front door???

It's also not space Blade Runner (or space Akihabara, or space Times Square), set in Coruscant from Episode III. But, Blade runner is cool, suburbia is boring.

Regardless, Star Wars has been drawing from real-world inspirations since the original film.

Difference between drawing inspiration from and basically copy pasting something. Stormtroopers are the bad guys, obviously inspires by WWII bad guys but do not walk about wearing red arm bands, grey uniforms and german helmets, they are visually distinct with the white armour, almost skull like helmet and black body suit.

The Coruscant architecture doesn't resemble New York or Londons buildings for example, Lukes home doesn't look like typical architecture and doesn't have lawn or wooden fence. It has things that are equivalent to a car, front door, kitchen, garage etc but none of those actually resemble what we are familiar with.

If Skeleton crew had suburb that was in layers instead of a ground level road, hedges of purple and yellow ball fungus instead of green lawns and say a sort of tunnel transit system of pods with room for 20 people instead of a bus it would be enough to make it alien yet still convey a sense of practical familiarity. We may not know what the weird purple and yellow ball fungus is having nothing exactly like it in our environment but we would be able ro infer from its placement and how it is maintained that it would be the equivalent of a lawn or garden bushes.

Even in Andor (a show I love) there was a woman eating plain old pistachio nuts. That took me out of the galaxy far far away. They could have at least dyed them blue or something to make it less earth like.

Modern Disneys commitment to making things more earthlike reminds me more of those terrible knock off b movies. One I often recall was "Invasion of the Pod People" which was an obvious attempt to cash in on that Nicole Kidman movie Invasion which itself was an adaptation of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. In that crappy b movie knock off the alien plant was literally a piece of ginger shoved into a plant pot. How the movie makers ever thought that no one would see it as that I don't know. They could have literally just gotten a trig from a tree, some clay, sculpted over the twig some weird surface texture, slapped some paint on and had something infinitely better but they simply didn't care enough and lacked the imagination.

That is Disney.

It's also not space Blade Runner (or space Akihabara, or space Times Square), set in Coruscant from Episode III. But, Blade runner is cool, suburbia is boring.

Regardless, Star Wars has been drawing from real-world inspirations since the original film.

I believe I specifically said based on the OT.

AI would analyze all the elements that made the OT so special and, without bias, agenda, or ego, spit out a thousand different stories that would work amazingly well within those parameters.

The issue is, everything now is written by a committee of spiteful narcissists that want to "see themselves reflected on the screen," whereas the average "normy" watches movies/tv/etc to escape their world for a few hours.

The issue is, everything now is written by a committee of spiteful narcissists that want to "see themselves reflected on the screen," whereas the average "normy" watches movies/tv/etc to escape their world for a few hours.
This is a major issue. The thing is, I think many of the people in Hollywood might be clinical psychopaths, so they do not truly understand emotion nor how to properly inspire it in their work. They have to immitate it without understanding it, so everything is very literal and surface level, there is very little that is genuine. Those who do get it get over-ruled by those who don't

Edit: because they do not understand how emotion is conveyed or how audiences identify with characters they think that having everything represent the target audience in a literal manner is how it is done, because they do not themselves know how to relate to people on an abstract or intangible level. They think that to appeal to female audience you must have female characters, to appeal to Asians the characters must be Asian and eat Asian food, to appeal to American school kids the characters must be school kids who live in suburbs with green lawns and ride the school bus.... they do not know what audiences ACTUALLY connect with

Last edited:
Notice how it was A: not a common razor design and B: modified and painted enough to not easily be recognisable until folk point it out. It also isn't used by Quigon to shave, he uses it to communicate.

The Disney method would be to give a wookie a very recognisable barely modified metal detector of common design we are all familiar with and have him walk around metal detecting. Because they assume the audience won't understand what is happening otherwise if he is using some strange unfamiliar device to scan the environment as they assume the audience to be dumb

Last edited:
Difference between drawing inspiration from and basically copy pasting something. Stormtroopers are the bad guys, obviously inspires by WWII bad guys but do not walk about wearing red arm bands, grey uniforms and german helmets, they are visually distinct with the white armour, almost skull like helmet and black body suit.

The Coruscant architecture doesn't resemble New York or Londons buildings for example, Lukes home doesn't look like typical architecture and doesn't have lawn or wooden fence. It has things that are equivalent to a car, front door, kitchen, garage etc but none of those actually resemble what we are familiar with.

If Skeleton crew had suburb that was in layers instead of a ground level road, hedges of purple and yellow ball fungus instead of green lawns and say a sort of tunnel transit system of pods with room for 20 people instead of a bus it would be enough to make it alien yet still convey a sense of practical familiarity. We may not know what the weird purple and yellow ball fungus is having nothing exactly like it in our environment but we would be able ro infer from its placement and how it is maintained that it would be the equivalent of a lawn or garden bushes.

Even in Andor (a show I love) there was a woman eating plain old pistachio nuts. That took me out of the galaxy far far away. They could have at least dyed them blue or something to make it less earth like.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is Disney.
On the other hand - and not sayin' Disney can't be cheap or uninspired - was watching a vid on the making of Alien, and how Scott wanted a real contrast in design between the "human" and the "alien ships" which ultimately resulted in Geiger designing the derelict ship.

That idea goes all the way back to folk tales where people cross from the "real" to mythological lands etc.

So maybe the idea is to force, design-wise, from the "normal" to the extraordinary e.g. these kids are put into a situation far beyond their imaginations and have to survive it. You're not just in space, you are REALLY out there. Some of the lines in the trailer seem to underline that idea.

Just sayin' as the trailer didn't come across cheap looking to me. Whether that's true or works or not remains to be seen.

I usually keep an open mind, but I am feeling a knee-jerk dislike to this one. Probably from my own blind hatred of Amblin-nostalgic garbage like “Stranger Things” and “Super 8” (hey kids, remember THAT movie?).

I usually keep an open mind, but I am feeling a knee-jerk dislike to this one. Probably from my own blind hatred of Amblin-nostalgic garbage like “Stranger Things” and “Super 8” (hey kids, remember THAT movie?).
I felt like Stranger Things was an honest tribute to the era (at first) but Skeleton Crew feels like a more cynical attempt to cash in on the fad that the former created. I hope to be wrong.

Super 8 was super forgettable so I don't even count it.

As hokey 80s Amblin: Goonies Phone Home to Endor as it looks, I actually love this stuff

""

Now there's a line up for Hot Toys to make.

Like the pirates in the original Star Wars comic, inspired by regular pirates but just transferred to space...

Crimsonjack.jpg

Back