Star Wars: The Acolyte

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://ew.com/tv/the-acolyte-star-wars-amandla-stenberg-black-nerds/
Not only is the show's lead, Amandla Stenberg, a gay, non-binary, Black intersectional feminist, but....
...That inclusivity and diversity is especially startling considering where the franchise began

"When it comes to the world of fantasy and sci-fi in general, it hasn't felt like a safe space always for people of color," Stenberg says. "And it's been a world that I've always deeply loved and been invested in. So to be in any way, shape, or form a part of the wave that is ushering in inclusion and safety for Black nerds, it's my dream come true."

"where the franchise began"? Framing it like that was some evil place, that they now have to correct for.

I like it when they add diversity and new characters, I did way back in 1980, and I do now, yet why do they do this^, make it the tagline of their output? Why can't they just tell a good story and not make it about the flag waving, foot stomping and their whining about a franchise they never actually liked to begin with.
And in doing so, flat out lie or be ignorant of the facts, a whole article making it about race, yet the actress and article make absolutely not one mention celebrating Lando Calrissian, who predates them by over 2 firkin decades, like he doesn't even exist, not to mention Mace, Saw, Steela, Salla Zend, Enfys Nest, etc all which predate her dumbass character. :lol

As far as a good story, you know they don't actually have one, they just want to $#!t on and "fix" the popular stories they didn't like, and resented that were out there, and make it about that! Then tell themselves that is what creativity is.
These parasites don't have a creative idea among therm. :wink1:

Last edited:

"where the franchise began"? Framing it like that was some evil place, that they now have to correct for.

I like it when they add diversity and new characters, I did way back in 1980, and I do now, yet why do they do this^, make it the tagline of their output? Why can't they just tell a good story and not make it about the flag waving, foot stomping and their whining about a franchise they never actually liked to begin with.
And in doing so, flat out lie or be ignorant of the facts, a whole article making it about race, yet the actress and article make absolutely not one mention celebrating Lando Calrissian, who predates them by over 2 firkin decades, like he doesn't even exist, not to mention Mace, Saw, Salla Zend, Enfys Nest, etc all which predate her dumbass character. :lol

As far as a good story, you know they don't actually have one, they just want to $#!t on and "fix" the popular stories they didn't like, and resented that were out there, and make it about that! Then tell themselves that is what creativity is.
Ughhhhh :thud:

And in doing so, flat out lie or be ignorant of the facts, a whole article making it about race, yet the actress and article make absolutely not one mention celebrating Lando Calrissian, who predates them by over 2 firkin decades, like he doesn't even exist, not to mention Mace, Saw, Salla Zend, Enfys Nest, etc all which predate her dumbass character. :lol

IDK, when a franchise is 47 years old and the 4th character of color you mention is Salla Zend (not even a film or TV character) I think you're actually providing data to support her point. A handful of token representatives on screen over the decades (& likely no others on set among the crew) probably doesn't qualify as inclusion/representation from her point of view, regardless of how significant the role. That said, she obviously could have been coached to choose her words more wisely so as not to alienate other members of the fan base. But hey, she's young (same age as TPM) and probably only knows Lando from TROS so I'm willing to cut her some slack lol...

I hate having to really try and find figure worthy characters in a Star Wars piece of media.

From Ahsoka I'm only getting Baylan, from this maybe Trinity and Lee Jung Jae.

IDK, when a franchise is 47 years old and the 4th character of color you mention is Salla Zend (not even a film or TV character)
I like it when they add diversity and new characters, I did way back in 1980, and I do now,
Just listing several I celebrated in somewhat order I became aware of them. There were no new film or TV characters when she appeared, the new content and characters added to the cast were in books and comics, where else would they be, the list continues....
Yet out of one side of your face you want to to dismiss her, while out the other side, you chose to focus on just her, to pretend the others weren't listed.

Last edited:
I’m one of those SW addicts that will go out of my way to find something to enjoy out of a SW movie or series.

I’m definitely not one of those 100% hate SW if it’s from Disney that’s just ridiculous.

RO/MandoS1-S2/Andor proves that it’s ridiculous.

What is exhausting to me is that every group of characters in modern SW, even though SW IS NOT EVEN FROM EARTH, has to be forced into a message and it’s taking me out of the stories trying to be told.

The Rebels now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Empire now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Jedi now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Sith now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Padawans now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Resistance now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The First Order now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Bounty Hunters now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Outer Rim worlds now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

The Outlaws now require 1 person of every earth culture to be represented amongst its ranks.

Literally every group has to be a multicultura event and it instantly takes me out of the story.

Instead of me focusing on the narrative of the story i’m being forced out of the story by the creators who are drawing my attention towards the narrative of their message and that’s not how you are supposed to create a great story.

You know now that I think about it the legendary Death Star Trench Run from 1977 needs to be updated with female pilots and 1 person of every culture or else I think it’s a disgusting scene full of racism and hate of anything that is not white male lol

Everyone loved the OT on their release even though the movies didn’t have every human culture squeezed into the movies because we cared about the stories being told and we were not distracted by the “hey look here we are representing hardcore” message!
It's so stupid because it immediately makes you wonder how ANY diverse races can exist when they're so intermingled in every camp of every continent on every planet in every star system. If even every afternoon social gathering has exactly one member of every ethnicity then what exactly is the message? That people in the SW universe are STILL so freaking racist that they refuse to breed with anyone not of their same race even when they are the only such ethnicity in any given group and must travel miles or even lightyears to find a similar member with which to procreate? :lol :duh

It's so stupid because it immediately makes you wonder how ANY diverse races can exist when they're so intermingled in every camp of every continent on every planet in every star system. If even every afternoon social gathering has exactly one member of every ethnicity then what exactly is the message? That people in the SW universe are STILL so freaking racist that they refuse to breed with anyone not of their same race even when they are the only such ethnicity in any given group and must travel miles or even lightyears to find a similar member with which to procreate? :lol :duh
They swap ethnics between worlds for arranged breeding. It is all explained in Disneys latest High Republic ya novel and an audio clip in Fortnite

There were no new film or TV characters then, the new content and characters added to the cast were in books and comics, hence where I encountered her. Yet out of one side of your face you want to to dismiss her, while out the other side, you chose to focus on just her, to pretend the others weren't listed.
Yes, in one respect I was dismissing Salla Zend because as an actress I'm pretty sure Ms. Stenberg wasn't referring to representation in books and comics. And I wasn't pretending the others you mentioned weren't listed - they were included in my "handful of token representatives" comment. And like it or not that's all they amount to in terms of numbers - a handful.

Nah, I think they crossed over to full-on TDK Joker a while ago. It's no longer about the money. If it was they've had plenty of time to course correct.
Yes 100%. Ultimately money is just a tool for power and power has been coalescing and centralizing into a handful of global corporations that want control.

The evidence is clear and in the open. They’re pushing “stake owner capitalism” now over share holder capitalism (which centralizes power away from individual share holders into larger controllable entities) and they’ve introduced ESG scores to push companies into adhering to their agenda or be financially punished.

We’re no longer in the 20th century where profit was king. Everything is now about control and profit is secondary.

The one place where it sort of makes since is within the Jedi Order, as they go around a pluck Force Potentials from all over the place. So if 90% of the cast of The Acolyte are Jedi then I suppose having 31 flavors in the cast is justifiable, but otherwise no. :lol

The one place where it sort of makes since is within the Jedi Order, as they go around a pluck Force Potentials from all over the place. So if 90% of the cast of The Acolyte are Jedi then I suppose having 31 flavors in the cast is justifiable, but otherwise no. :lol
Or somewhere like Coruscant. That would also be very multi cultural, multi ethnic etc.

Where it really doesn't make sense is the Empire/First Order. They are supposed to represent fascism more or less, so how they appeared in the OT as all white and with no females in prominent leadership roles made sense for the evil bad guys. They were space yahtzees. Making more inclusive kinda dilutes the effect.

Eh I'd say it's a lot less ridiculous than 99% of the people being white in the OT. Even on the freakin desert planet with two suns! 😄

Every one of these SW planets is naturally going to have people with a variety of cultures and skin tones on them, so it only makes sense we'd see that filter into these different groups of rebels or Jedi. Perhaps things are a bit too evenly mixed at times, but I don't think it's worth getting upset over. And it didn't prevent RO or Andor from being great.

Or somewhere like Coruscant. That would also be very multi cultural, multi ethnic etc.

Where it really doesn't make sense is the Empire/First Order. They are supposed to represent fascism more or less, so how they appeared in the OT as all white and with no females in prominent leadership roles made sense for the evil bad guys. They were space yahtzees. Making more inclusive kinda dilutes the effect.
Maybe, but I didn't get the impression the Empire's goal was propagation of the white race or anything like that. The Emperor was simply out to rule the galaxy and increase his power, so would probably be willing to use any and everyone that might help with that.

Back