Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015) Discussion Thread

Yep, initially I disagreed with you based on the praise heaped on TOR. But then I remembered that 2011 is long gone and the era of nitpicking has begone.

Yup, and for the record since you asked, I was basing it on every huge franchise thats gotten a whole fanbase of haters. Its not a localized phenomenon to Star Wars.

Imagine us all saying in 2015 how the PT are better than VII because GL dircted them and he understands SW better. :rotfl

I don't know who "us" encompasses, but you've read enough threads here to know someones going to say it. :lol

no...If the film was truly sheeet, then the box office, video sales and toy sales would have shown it to be...not a couple of guys that can type on a forum...LOL

You really believe that?

Some movies are just review proof, no matter what they will make tons of money simply because of what they are.

By your distinction, any movie in the top 20 Box Office is a great movie then.:cuckoo:

Yeah Transformers trilogy are the best movies I've ever seeeeeeen.

She was asleep for like five minutes. :lol

I'm guessing his thought was no one has anything bad to say about Avengers, but we had people on the forum that were negative about it, so... :dunno

I'm guessing his thought was no one has anything bad to say about Avengers, but we had people on the forum that were negative about it, so... :dunno

Yeah but those people were already interviewed here:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqF1sYyTm-k[/ame]

Um. No.

Shoehorning a character that should have been killed off in a film made only 3 years prior into a scene to finally kill him off in the first 10 or 20 minutes is much different than offering a glorious and well developed conclusion (2 hrs into the film) to characters last seen almost 30 years ago.

Sorry, thats not contradiction at all.

So how would you describe the original plan for RotJ which wouldv'e seen Han Solo killed off very early in the film and vetoed by Lucas to the dismay of Kasdan, Kazanjian, Fisher, Ford and the director.

On Dooku in RotS, he's a pretty important character in such that he's there to prove how ruthless Palpatine is. This is done economically and provides the audience with a high point before the film starts to spiral downwards parallel to that of Anakin Skywalker.

I think Han dying early in ROTJ would have undermined the importance of Leia rescuing him from Jabba, but I think I could have accepted his death during the siege on the DSII. At the time though knowing there were no more sequels coming having him survive worked fine (happy ending with him and Leia).

Knowing we have 2 full films following episode 7 I think there's a different reason for killing him off now. We don't need to see Han go off into the sunset...again.

In my scenario Han Leia and Luke would all be the leads in e7, with the leads in 8 and 9 playing bit roles. Again, I'd put Han's death in at the very conclusion of e7 so Han would still get a chance at a last hurrah, his death would have to be dramatic, sacrificial, brave.

Then by 8 and 9 Luke would have the bit part like obiwan. This way it's a compromise with Ot fans to give them a final act but allow 8 and 9 to belong to the new generation.

In the end it really depends on how the writers would end up doing it.

With hindsight, can we imagine ESB and ROTJ had they not killed off Obi-Wan? Or Twin Towers and ROTK with Boromir alive?

Character deaths have to serve a purpose of course, my suggestion of killing Han (and possibly Leia) require that their deaths are done right. Not just for shock value or something.

I can understand the marketing value of Han being in all 3 films, but in the end, if he's there to serve no real purpose other than to draw 50 year olds to the theater in 2020 then that's pandering and not real storytelling.

Last edited:

With hindsight, can we imagine ESB and ROTJ had they not killed off Obi-Wan? Or Twin Towers and ROTK with Boromir alive?

mcquarrieceremony.png

Count them.

Oh, look who was still alive at the end of the film during pre-production.

Much is made out of Star Wars resembling The Hidden Fortress, but honestly it's much closer to "The Magnificent Seven" or "The Seven Samurai". Lucas had even considered Tashiro Mafuni for Obi-Wan. Kenobi lived throuh the film in early drafts and as you see here Ralph McQuarrie included Ben in the throne room concept painting

So yes, I can imagine Ben alive in the sequels.

I think Han dying early in ROTJ would have undermined the importance of Leia rescuing him from Jabba, but I think I could have accepted his death during the siege on the DSII. At the time though knowing there were no more sequels coming having him survive worked fine (happy ending with him and Leia).

Knowing we have 2 full films following episode 7 I think there's a different reason for killing him off now. We don't need to see Han go off into the sunset...again.

In my scenario Han Leia and Luke would all be the leads in e7, with the leads in 8 and 9 playing bit roles. Again, I'd put Han's death in at the very conclusion of e7 so Han would still get a chance at a last hurrah, his death would have to be dramatic, sacrificial, brave.

Then by 8 and 9 Luke would have the bit part like obiwan. This way it's a compromise with Ot fans to give them a final act but allow 8 and 9 to belong to the new generation.

In the end it really depends on how the writers would end up doing it.

Character deaths have to serve a purpose of course, my suggestion of killing Han (and possibly Leia) require that their deaths are done right. Not just for shock value or something.

I can understand the marketing value of Han being in all 3 films, but in the end, if he's there to serve no real purpose other than to draw 50 year olds to the theater in 2020 then that's pandering and not real storytelling.

Worked pretty ****ing good for ROTJ. :dunno :lol

So yes, I can imagine Ben alive in the sequels.

Sounds like you can imagine someone else imagining him alive. What do you image specifically?

No spirit Obi-Wan. No Luke watching his early mentor being killed. No direct hatred for Vader, only indirect knowledge via Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan's death set the stage for so much drama in the saga. Changing that could have had a dramatic effect on how we perceive it.

Sounds like you can imagine someone else imagining him alive. What do you image specifically?

No spirit Obi-Wan. No Luke watching his early mentor being killed. No direct hatred for Vader, only indirect knowledge via Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan's death set the stage for so much drama in the saga. Changing that could have had a dramatic effect on how we perceive it.

Not so sure. A few easy re-writes and Obi could've had the same impact and still been alive. You'd just have to have him reaching out into the force to speak to Luke for things like the Yavin run and Hoth.

Back