Stranger slaps toddler for crying in Wal-Mart

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crying is not out of control. When a 2 year old gets upset they find it hard to express there feelings. I would never hit my child so I have to calm her down some other way, it's not easy as I don't resort to bribes either (example, be quite and will buy you some chocolate).
As Booyah! said if it's in a restaurant the adult should take there children and leave.
If it's in a store then that's a different matter. The other person can always go down another aisle.
If somebody said something to me like "why is she crying", I would try and explain the situation to them, but if they hit her, I would most likely kill them with the nearest item, be it a Ketchup bottle or a frozen chicken.

No I am not talking about a baby crying in a store. I am talking about a 3 or 4 year old throwing an out right fit because they want a toy or candy or something of that nature.

kids shouldn't be in a restaurant. i don't get that. sit down restaurants are for adults. if you got kids take em to McDonald's. if you wanna eat at Applebee's get a babysitter. there is nothing more annoying than going out to eat and you can't hear yourself speak cuz you got a crying brat next to you.:rolleyes:

kids shouldn't be in a restaurant. i don't get that. sit down restaurants are for adults. if you got kids take em to McDonald's. if you wanna eat at Applebee's get a babysitter. there is nothing more annoying than going out to eat and you can't hear yourself speak cuz you got a crying brat next to you.:rolleyes:

I like how the people without kids think they make the rules. :lol

I think the frustration from the "kidless" forum members comes from when they are forced to witness an obvious brat of a child that hasn't been parented or disciplined once in their life and obviously control their parents and their parents sit by and do nothing, or when they do do something, they do it the wrong way by either bribing their kid to behave or overreact and outright beat their kid.

If "some" parents would simply put their kid in their place when they act up, they'd only have to do it a couple of times before that kid learned his place in the family.

But many of today's parents think that either: (A) they can explain and rationalize to a screaming child what is and what isn't acceptable, or (B) simply don't care and let their kid(s) scream and act a brat while letting the people around them suffer.

If you have a kid that can't behave, don't take him to a restaurant or movie. Take his undisciplined ass to Chucky Cheese or Bounce U, send him to military school, but don't expect other people to happily put up with it while you show off what a bad parent you are by having a screaming brat of a child control the situation.

I'm sure the parents on this board are not like I am describing above, but they do exist, and you can be sure if they have a screaming kid, I'm not going to be happy about having to witness their child misbehaving. I would never touch any strangers child, but I'm not above giving dirty looks or even making a comment.

I think it's like Dusty said, and I may not have it quoted verbatim, but you should have to take classes or file for a permit to become an effective parent.

i like how people with kids think that they can keep living their lives like before they had kids. when you choose to have kids certain sacrifices need to be made. you can't keep living your life like you did before kids. so no restaurants, movies etc. i remember when i went to see Gangs of New York when it came out. somebody had a crying infant in the movie the whole time. THE WHOLE TIME!!! it ruined the movie for everybody. they wouldn't take the little brat out. i think everybody there was ready to kill that parent.

i like how people with kids think that they can keep living their lives like before they had kids. when you choose to have kids certain sacrifices need to be made. you can't keep living your life like you did before kids. so no restaurants, movies etc. i remember when i went to see Gangs of New York when it came out. somebody had a crying infant in the movie the whole time. THE WHOLE TIME!!! it ruined the movie for everybody. they wouldn't take the little brat out. i think everybody there was ready to kill that parent.

When I saw Gangs of New York this guy brought what looked like a couple kids maybe 8 or 9. They didn't act up, but he was constantly having to take them to the bathroom since it was a long movie. What's the damn point of spending money to see a movie your kids won't understand or enjoy and one you won't even be able to watch because you are having to take care of them the whole time anyway. Boggles my mind.

I think the frustration from the "kidless" forum members comes from when they are forced to witness an obvious brat of a child that hasn't been parented or disciplined once in their life and obviously control their parents and their parents sit by and do nothing, or when they do do something, they do it the wrong way by either bribing their kid to behave or overreact and outright beat their kid.

If "some" parents would simply put their kid in their place when they act up, they'd only have to do it a couple of times before that kid learned his place in the family.

But many of today's parents think that either: (A) they can explain and rationalize to a screaming child what is and what isn't acceptable, or (B) simply don't care and let their kid(s) scream and act a brat while letting the people around them suffer.

If you have a kid that can't behave, don't take him to a restaurant or movie. Take his undisciplined ass to Chucky Cheese or Bounce U, send him to military school, but don't expect other people to happily put up with it while you show off what a bad parent you are by having a screaming brat of a child control the situation.

I'm sure the parents on this board are not like I am describing above, but they do exist, and you can be sure if they have a screaming kid, I'm not going to be happy about having to witness their child misbehaving. I would never touch any strangers child, but I'm not above giving dirty looks or even making a comment.

I think it's like Dusty said, and I may not have it quoted verbatim, but you should have to take classes or file for a permit to become an effective parent.

Oh you should have my job! Parents let their kids do whatever the want at home then send them to school where there's rules and let the fun begin! Alot of the parents I deal with simple use their kids as a paycheck from the state and really don't care for them much more than that. Some kids are actually in the system for 13 hours a day, getting three free meals a day and all day care. I'm sure when they go home they are either put right to bed or are left to fend for themselves. It's pretty disgusting at times. :mad:

When I saw Gangs of New York this guy brought what looked like a couple kids maybe 8 or 9. They didn't act up, but he was constantly having to take them to the bathroom since it was a long movie. What's the damn point of spending money to see a movie your kids won't understand or enjoy and one you won't even be able to watch because you are having to take care of them the whole time anyway. Boggles my mind.

And IMO, too violent for that age, but then the 5 and 6 year olds that I deal with see all that stuff, plus are allowed to stay up late watching wrestling PPV, then have to get up to go to school the next day.

Sorry, I'm venting. I'm not real keen on my job these days. :(

the parents of the crying movie infant just took turns holding him near the back door. like that did anything.:rolleyes: we could still hear it loud and clear. parents think that just cuz they won't be enjoying a movie again for the next 18 years that everybody else needs to suffer as well.

one time i was at a Sepultura concert and someone brought in an infant with a baby sized Sepultura shirt on. that kid was probably traumatized for life. it's a death metal concert. mosh pits. crowd surfing. head banging. 120dB.

Oh you should have my job! Parents let their kids do whatever the want at home then send them to school where there's rules and let the fun begin! Alot of the parents I deal with simple use their kids as a paycheck from the state and really don't care for them much more than that. Some kids are actually in the system for 13 hours a day, getting three free meals a day and all day care. I'm sure when they go home they are either put right to bed or are left to fend for themselves. It's pretty disgusting at times. :mad:

My sister is a teacher and has the same sentiments. She often says some parents expect the schools to raise their kids, but God forbid a teacher trying to discipline or restrict their unruly brat.

What weird though, even though my sister complains about how the kids act at school, I don't see her doing much about her oldest son, who as I said previously in this thread, is a f'n brat. But I think he has other issues. he sees a psych and my sister and her husband are in counseling on how to deal with this kid. I think it all could have been avoided if she had just smacked him when he started to push limits when he was only 4 or 5. Now, its too late.

the parents of the crying movie infant just took turns holding him near the back door. like that did anything.:rolleyes: we could still hear it loud and clear. parents think that just cuz they won't be enjoying a movie again for the next 18 years that everybody else needs to suffer as well.

one time i was at a Sepultura concert and someone brought in an infant with a baby sized Sepultura shirt on. that kid was probably traumatized for life. it's a death metal concert. mosh pits. crowd surfing. head banging. 120dB.

My coworker took his 10 year old son to a Tool concert. I was a little shocked at first, but they had seats (i.e. not general admission) and my coworker said his son enjoyed the show. His kid is very well behaved though, probably because my coworker has a military (Army) background.

I can't imagine taking a small child to certain movies or to any concert. It's just too loud!

I go to MLB games all the time and I see very small babies down close where they could be hit by balls or out in the blazing sun for hours. I would have NO desire to take a small baby to ballgames when I can stay at home, watch it on tv and keep my baby safe and healthy.

Yeah, babies or even toddlers at a movie theater or sporting event is not a good thing. When Wolverine came out, I went to see it while she kept Nathan. When Harry Potter came out, she went while I watched him.

Every situation is a little different. He just turned one year last week, so resturants, dinner parties, movie theaters = bad. Flea markets, the mall and Wal-friggin-mart = perfectly fine.

Most fits can be solved with a bottle, diaper change or handing him a different toy. But sometimes you can't stop a one year old from screaming because he wants to get down and run around the store. In cases like that he's gonna learn to sit his little butt in the shopping cart or stroller like we tell him and if he cries, so be it.

Yeah, babies or even toddlers at a movie theater or sporting event is not a good thing. When Wolverine came out, I went to see it while she kept Nathan. When Harry Potter came out, she went while I watched him.

Every situation is a little different. He just turned one year last week, so resturants, dinner parties, movie theaters = bad. Flea markets, the mall and Wal-friggin-mart = perfectly fine.

Most fits can be solved with a bottle, diaper change or handing him a different toy. But sometimes you can't stop a one year old from screaming because he wants to get down and run around the store. In cases like that he's gonna learn to sit his little butt in the shopping cart or stroller like we tell him and if he cries, so be it.

I think when a baby/child is less than 2, there are never any grounds for spanking him/her. If they're crying, its probably due to food, being tired, or poop. I think from ages 2-4 is when a stern voice should be used, and maybe a light swat on the butt. At 3-5, if your kid needs a good spanking for being a brat, give it to them. If your kid isnt listening to you by the age of 6 or 7, it's probably too late and good luck during the teen years.

I speak from a complete lack of experience of course.

I think when a baby/child is less than 2, there are never any grounds for spanking him/her. If they're crying, its probably due to food, being tired, or poop. I think from ages 2-4 is when a stern voice should be used, and maybe a light swat on the butt. At 3-5, if your kid needs a good spanking for being a brat, give it to them. If your kid isnt listening to you by the age of 6 or 7, it's probably too late and good luck during the teen years.

I speak from a complete lack of experience of course.

Sorry, slick. You're wrong. 2 is too late. Stern voice needs to be used very early, along with a light smack here and there (for willful defiance or general stupidity). Once they move under their own power (i.e. crawling), they should be disciplined. As soon as they are able to control their muscles, they need to be taught how to control their behavior. With greater power/ freedom, comes greater responsibility.

I speak from experience. I have a 4-year-old and an 18-month-old. My 18-month-old doesn't scream in restaurants, and knows how to say please when asking for a drink. My 4-year-old is reasonably well behaved, and very well punished when she is not. She can sit through an entire movie in a theater without bothering anyone (she saw Up recently with her grandparents).

Teach them early, and follow-through on your threats. They can be taught.

SnakeDoc

Funny, when I saw the picture of the guy he looked EXACTLY as I pictured him in my head. Maybe I repressed a memory of him slapping me when I was a child.

Shaming and ignoring children works better than physical abuse. The effects are much deeper and longer-lasting. When you smack them or yell at them, you are giving them attention, which they want.

I went to WalMart last night and bought a pinata shaped like Sponge Bob for my boys birthday party. :rock :rock :rock

Back