Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a thought. I wonder if that is the plan? I'm still curious as to why this is being marketed as a joint manufacturing effort versus just a distribution deal. SS is mum on it at this point.

Me too, but the window seems to be closing on that option. For something of this nature, I gotta get that SS customer service just in case this goes terribly sideways.

I'm paying a premium for that customer service. AmiAmi has these for AUD$310 (around $320-30 US).

Last edited:
$400 or $$$ later.

Er um... $400 IS $$$. Well, to me at least.

Honestly, I'm trying to run every scenario NOT to buy this figure (Medi? Screamin' model? Hasbro custom?) because I need a really good 1/6 Threepio. And I'm being dragged into this thing.

There's a thought. I wonder if that is the plan? I'm still curious as to why this is being marketed as a joint manufacturing effort versus just a distribution deal. SS is mum on it at this point.

Me too, but the window seems to be closing on that option. For something of this nature, I gotta get that SS customer service just in case this goes terribly sideways.

Mum? Like not a whisper. Many people put this question to SSC via Ask Sideshow for months after SDCC and they are obviously dodging it intentionally. You'd think if this fig was "it" - the SSC droids - SSC would issue some kind of statement endorsing this figure and stating that this is indeed "the" SCC droids they have long hinted at, and they are working on it with Tamashii. And yet they haven't (other than the text on the product page.)

As a sidenote, Ask Sideshow is a pretty lame feature that SSC has used so sporadically that they should just cut it from the site. The last SW question they answered (well, other than a dumb planted question they "answered" to state they endorse Disney buying LFL - duh!) was SIX months ago. It was also a feature they used to drop hints about figures they never ended up making - the 1/6 droids being just one example (and Rebo band - grrr, SSC I hate you for that!)

Interesting how Sideshow Alex has never dropped into the Tamashii Threepio thread to shed any light...

This will sound like I'm bashing SSC though I'm not, but I don't think they can deliver on what we want when it comes to The Droids. They know with this partnership they can jointly deliver a quality item.

I'm buying it then I'll have an awesome Threepio and if anyone else ever gets around to doing one it'll be near the same price and it'll have to be good.

Last edited:
I'm paying a premium for that customer service. AmiAmi has these for AUD$310 (around $320-30 US).
Not unlike this figure, quality cost in my book. I've never used AmiAmi, so can't comment on that. They could be equally good. As with everything, your mileage may vary..

Mum? Like not a whisper. Many people put this question to SSC via Ask Sideshow for months after SDCC and they are obviously dodging it intentionally. You'd think if this fig was "it" - the SSC droids - SSC would issue some kind of statement endorsing this figure and stating that this is indeed "the" SCC droids they have long hinted at, and they are working on it with Tamashii. And yet they haven't (other than the text on the product page.)

As a sidenote, Ask Sideshow is a pretty lame feature that SSC has used so sporadically that they should just cut it from the site. The last SW question they answered (well, other than a dumb planted question they "answered" to state they endorse Disney buying LFL - duh!) was SIX months ago. It was also a feature they used to drop hints about figures they never ended up making - the 1/6 droids being just one example (and Rebo band - grrr, SSC I hate you for that!)

Interesting how Sideshow Alex has never dropped into the Tamashii Threepio thread to shed any light...
Yeah, mum like they ain't saying sheit! I know what you mean regarding the ask sideshow deal. I've asked many times could they do a universal joint on the troopers ankles so they don't have that Chuck Taylor look and no one's ever even written back to say hey, stop asking us the same f'ing question!

This will sound like I'm bashing SSC though I'm not, but I don't think they can deliver on what we want when it comes to The Droids.
I think the better question is are they willing to do it and do it right and just. If they take the same love and care as they did with the battle droids, the answer is yes, but it will be plastic I think.

Not unlike this figure, quality cost in my book. I've never used AmiAmi, so can't comment on that. They could be equally good. As with everything, your mileage may vary..

AmiAmi have been around for a while, and they're pretty big. I don't doubt that their CS is excellent, but at the end of the day, with a figure this expensive, I feel more assured going with what I know.

$80 though, faaaark....

AmiAmi have been around for a while, and they're pretty big. I don't doubt that their CS is excellent, but at the end of the day, with a figure this expensive, I feel more assured going with what I know.

$80 though, faaaark....

I know, that's a huge savings.

What to do?! :panic:

I know, that's a huge savings.

What to do?! :panic:

Unlikely given the huge quantity of these they are apparently producing, but apart from the guaranteed CS, this line on AmiAmi's site made me nervous enough to go with SSC as well:

In cases of manufacturer stock shortages, pre-order items will be offered on a first come, first served basis.

The chances of missing out on one are probably next to zero, and SSC will have these for a while after release, but still... I didn't want to be left without a chair when the music stopped.

Is that the same as wallet rapist?

I have no idea what this is and I am not going to look it up. To be fair it's still something to look at. It's value is what people will pay for it. I order all my item from SSC. It's easier for me.

Easier to use SSC, for sure, but $80 is a big difference.

I try not to think about it. If you do it will drive you nuts. I know it's a big amount. But you have to ask yourself if the problems that my come up worth it. It's like black Friday sales. I didn't go, got everything that was on sale sold out. The next day for the little more.

I finally ordered this. I couldn't resist anylonger. It is expensive, but if it proves to be this good, then it will be the only C3PO I will ever want. Just hope R2D2 is made to go with this.

I finally ordered this. I couldn't resist anylonger. It is expensive, but if it proves to be this good, then it will be the only C3PO I will ever want. Just hope R2D2 is made to go with this.

It will be.

The main concern with R2, is that the dome is not suppose to have a mirror-finish and the scale seems wrong. It appears to be on the small side.

I hope Tamashii can address these issues and they will have themselves the best representations of the duo in 1/6 for a long time, I'm guessing.

That's for certain! The only thing that could trump it would be a metal 3po that converts from EP1 to EPIV

No?!?! I swoosh and play with my 3PO. You should give it a go sometime, it's a blast! :wink1: :lol

I guess I can see how people would like the weight. Personally the way something can be out of scale size wise, this feels out of scale weight wise if that makes sense. Like its obviously a 1/6 fig, but because of the weight it comes across as something different to me. IDK weird. But for those who like the idea of the weight, then you'll love this guy.

I will say that they cylinders were very cool and worked in a very realistic way. I'm not sure if plastic is just not a good idea, or if plastic just couldn't withstand the mayhem at Comic Con

And about standing on his own, that's what the rep said but I'm not sure if she fully understood my question. So it's still a bit unclear to me. I do think that if he does go down, there will be a minor earthquake to follow.
I have enjoyed the discussion you guys were having. It covered a lot of important details and opinions.

The only thing I would add is how heavy would a real C3PO be, and scaled down to 1/6 you would think it would be at least 6-8x heaver than a Sandtrooper?

Woah, I almost forgot about this one.

With recently announced figures coming up, I might have to put this one on the back burner, sadly. :(

I'll still have to wait and see.

Woah, I almost forgot about this one.

With recently announced figures coming up, I might have to put this one on the back burner, sadly. :(

I'll still have to wait and see.

I'm curious to know which ones you are looking at, Centurion. I was weighing the decision to get this one with my wife over the last couple weeks and we decided to do it, figuring that we could always sell it if we didn't fall in love with it. But, I'm pretty sure it's going to stay....it will come down to where we put it.

Last edited:
Back