The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is wrong with edge lit and issues with it???

Edge lit is inherently inferior to backlit due to how the light output ultimately creates an image.

It causes unsightly uniformity anomalies on the screen due to the light path.

Backlit utilizes what’s known as “local dimming” technology to create deeper blacks which allows for a greater contrast in the image.

Backlit do also suffer from some drawbacks but even then it’s still vastly superior to edge.

That being said edge lit technology has seen some improvement and they sure make some very thin tv’s possible.

It'll be nice to actually watch my twelve 4K UHD discs for once, lol.

Disney probably waiting for 8K to release Star Wars lol

Well I couldn’t resist replacing one of our 1080p tv with another 4K.

Bought the 2018 TCL Roku 6 series for $500 but then with my saved up BB rewards came out to $450 for a 55” Full Array LD with Dolby Vision manufactured date June 2018 which has the ghosting fix. :yess:

They are selling out quick!

Hands down TV of the year under $1,000 right there folks sorry Vizio E/M series but you have less Dimming Zones :thwak.

TCL: 96 zones
Vizio M: 48 zones
Vizio E: 10 zones

Like I said this tv can’t be touched at that price especially with that spectacular Roku interface.

Last edited:
Okay jye I just read that no one is getting proper Dolby Vision at home because current HDMI cables don't feed it properly from player to TV??? And that's why Disney is only offering digital Dolby Vision??? Can you confirm? Do Dolby Vision discs look noticeably different at home than non-Dolby Vision or HDR-10?

:lol :lol

I find HDR10 to actually be somewhat pleasantly brighter than DV I don’t know if DV jusf needs to release an update.

But i’ve only utilized DV from streaming not from a disc.

I doubt DV is unable to pass thru HDMI though I need to look into that.

:yess: I was up all night playing around with the smallest of settings :lol

18F9629B-AB5F-44AA-8609-B9774D251404.jpg
90A63E94-62DE-45AD-979C-C0B6AA7255C0.jpg
43069348-3D87-4B24-99EE-FB0773CE9FA2.jpg
1139D8D9-BB55-44B6-96BE-3299C88957CA.jpg
6B76FFFF-5B7A-4C38-AA3D-E210A5262A06.jpg

Was going to ask for pics Jye, but you beat me to it. That looks good. I’m assuming the Roku interface allows 4K streaming?

I’m sorely tempted, especially at that price point...

But a little part of me is a brand whore...

Nothing wrong with having a brand preference you go with what you know and also because a high end (expensive) Samsung/Sony or LG OLED will absolutely leave the TCL 6 in the dust ESPECIALLY in the nits output department but look at what I can squeeze out of a $500 tv with proper GS adjustments in a proper dark environment so you need to know how to properly utilize a cheaper tv because an expensive super bright one you can just put anywhere you want it won’t suffer.

I think the nits output on the Q Samsung is equivalent to the sun lol

Yes the Roku interface is absolutely amazing and intuitive.

This particular model has an “Instant On” mode I swear before I let go of the damn power button the tv is on already!

Good fast processor powering this cheap ass tv lol

4 more weeks until 8k replaces 4k :lol

Last edited:
Back