The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Really?
That doesn't make any sense...
Do you have a link to that interview?
Sounds something Bay would say, but not Nolan...

Why in the flying ____ would Bay say something so hideously stupid?

He makes movies for the mass public to enjoy. Why would he sabotage a main character's voice so people couldn't hear it?

Michael Bay is not stupid. His movies are. :lecture

Why in the flying ____ would Bay say something so hideously stupid?

He makes movies for the mass public to enjoy. Why would he sabotage a main character's voice so people couldn't hear it?

Michael Bay is not stupid. His movies are. :lecture

:slap
That's like saying Paris Hilton is not stupid... her programs are...
:rotfl

I read it in an online article.

Ill try to find it.

Edit: found it

https://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-bane-voice-christopher-nolan/133367/

Upon reading the original "interview" which is more of a transcript... it never says "it's part of the experience", seems like that "unnamed" exec either doesn't exist or completely missed the point...
:dunno

:slap
That's like saying Paris Hilton is not stupid... her programs are...
:rotfl

Upon reading the original "interview" which is more of a transcript... it never says "it's part of the experience", seems like that "unnamed" exec either doesn't exist or completely missed the point...
:dunno

I still couldn't find the interview, but that article backed up the whole point of 'it's part of the experience" dilemma that i previously metioned. In the article or transcript, they mentioned that chris said this at the premier of the prologue: “that it was OK for a moviegoer not to understand what was said at times, as long as the overall idea was conveyed.” In a nut shell that means that its part of the experience to not fully understand bane.

Anyone who can make movies with that much real action isn't stupid.

Honestly, if you can show me any film director that's not named Brad Bird who can pull off ____ like that, i'll give you a cookie.

I remember chris nolan said that its part of the experience to not be able to understand bane 100%.

That's dumb. I hope Nolan isn't really that pretentious. I mean, I know his army of acolytes mostly are, but it'd be disappointing to see him purposely make a pivotal character's dialogue in a mega-budget franchise film hard to comprehend just because he thinks it's artistic or adds to the experience. Most people will have different experiences with a film anyway, so it matters more that the audience actually understands what characters say. Unless, of course, he's intimating that Bane's dialogue is essentially meaningless and doesn't bely the character's motivations. Which would be abstract, to say the least. Otherwise, he's being intentionally obtuse, which isn't as cool as some people probably think it is.

I still couldn't find the interview, but that article backed up the whole point of 'it's part of the experience" dilemma that i previously metioned. In the article or transcript, they mentioned that chris said this at the premier of the prologue: “that it was OK for a moviegoer not to understand what was said at times, as long as the overall idea was conveyed.” In a nut shell that means that its part of the experience to not fully understand bane.

Here's the alleged "interview"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-knight-rises-preview-christopher-nolan-271610

According to the article here's what he said:

When Heat Vision asked Nolan at the post-preview reception about the perceived problem, the director admitted that because of Hardy's accent and because viewers can't see his lips, there may be problems in hearing the dialogue (though he did say additional sound work would clear some of it up). And he admitted that sometimes in his movies a viewer may not grasp all the lines.
But to him, the visuals are as important to the storytelling as any dialogue. "Otherwise, it's just a radio play."
I just think that the "part of the experience" quote doesn't make sense...

I'll be honest... I hate Bale's Batman voice, I find it dumb and distracting...
but I doubt that Nolan would make Bane's voice unintelligible on purpose...

Anyone who can make movies with that much real action isn't stupid.

Maybe UNREAL action would be a better description...
Want

Honestly, if you can show me any film director that's not named Brad Bird who can pull off ____ like that, i'll give you a cookie.

- Steven Spielberg
- James Cameron
- Peter Jackson
- Ridley Scott
- John McTiernan
- Robert Rodriguez
- Quentin Tarantino
- Paul Verhoeven
- Jan De Bont
- The Wachowski Bros.

Just to name a few...
-

SO apparently a new audio mix has been sent to IMAX theaters for the prologue with the background sounds turned down slightly, making Bane's dialogue easier to understand:

https://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-bane-audio-cleaned/135038/

Looks like this has been updated with WB commenting that the story isn't true.

UPDATE 2: Steve again. Warner Bros. has contacted me and said that our story is absolutely not true. While I’ve dealt with the source who sent me the letter before, I wanted to make sure we are always posting the truth. I’m working on getting to the bottom of this right now.

That's dumb. I hope Nolan isn't really that pretentious.

Oh the director who openly said that Batman exists in a vacuum and completely fails to acknowledge the fact that one of Batman's triumphs is being a normal person in a world of Gods that is able to keep up with them if not best them most of the time because it's unrealistic? No way. Nolan is an amazingly pretentious, closed-minded director who produces films like Inception which is mind-bending made realistic and can't fathom a situation where Batman could even have a conversation with Superman or fight a villain like Killer Croc.

He has a very narrow focused view on The Dark Knight and always has, he is unapologetic about it and given the fandom and the money making machine, no one calls him on it really. He makes good Batman films so you forgive him for it but Bane not being understood correctly purposefully wouldn't surprise me one bit.

In the trailer he sounded perfect.

Yep I think so too. I did have trouble understanding some lines during the prologue but once i read the transcript and watched it a second time at IMAX I had no trouble hearing or making out what he was saying.

In the trailer he sounded perfect.

:goodpost::exactly:

For those who say Nolan is closed minded, why wouldn't he be? He created a new universe for batman why would he just change tones and go the opposite way of the last two? The guy hasn't had a bad movie yet. Obviously he's doing something right. I trust in the fact that he knows what he's doing. If you wan't a comic book batman experience then pick up a comic book. Or play the Arkham video game series.

For those who say Nolan is closed minded, why wouldn't he be? He created a new universe for batman why would he just change tones and go the opposite way of the last two? The guy hasn't had a bad movie yet. Obviously he's doing something right. I trust in the fact that he knows what he's doing. If you wan't a comic book batman experience then pick up a comic book. Or play the Arkham video game series.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

:exactly::lecture:clap:lecture:exactly:

Looks like there was no update - from collider's article https://collider.com/dark-knight-rises-bane-audio-cleaned/135038/-

UPDATE 3: Steve again. I spoke to a representative from IMAX. They told me that they have not issued a new mix for The Dark Knight Rises, but some theaters have been sent the digital file that would have been playing on an analogue system. Again, they say this digital delivery does not change the way Bane sounds or any of the background noise. Needless to say, I’m sorry we posted something that appears to be inaccurate. Saying that, I’ve seen the IMAX prologue three times and I still struggle to understand what Bane is saying. It’s a real issue.

Oh that easy eh? For a comic book experience read a comic book?

tumblr_lvrp8bU9AV1qibz0jo1_500.png

Although I find it a bit funny to say "for a comic book experience play a video game!"

Nolan had made good Batman movies. The best so far arguably although many would argue that Burton made something special with his films. It isn't about changing the status quo, Nolan has said that before BB and right after before TDK that his Batman exists in a vacuum, long before the fanboys were creaming all over the Ledger Joker and everything that it brought with it.

By removing the element of a man amongst Gods, Nolan doesn't fully encapulate the character, he removes an important part of the mythos and even waters down a bit of what makes the initial character special. He didn't even play up the detective role until TDK, would people right after BB, who cares why does he need to be a detective? If you want Batman the detective then read a comic book! I don't think so.

What Nolan has done is remove the Superhero from the Superhero film. BB, TDK both are basic archetypes of films outside of the genre. TDK plays more like a Michael Mann drama than a comic book film and the additions of two colorful characters running the show is what makes it unique. That a man dressed as a bat or a clown can exist so nonchalantly is what makes people envious because almost every other superhero film has the characters larger than life and almost jarring.

Nolan's films may go down as the best ones ever done with Batman but as they don't fully explore the character in all aspects, they'll never be the greatest. Look at X-Men: First Class which brought humanity to mutant character who before were cookie cutter fare and made it acceptable for humans and high powered beings to co-exist and even be in awe of each other, something that looking at some of Nolan's other films he could have done amazingly but that he simply chose to ignore.

It's always be a "what if?" scenario that people may choose to ignore but it's still looming in the distance.

There's a reason we have the term 'Nolanverse'

This is Nolans vision of the Batman mythos, nothing more, nothing less. Of course there's major aspects of Batman he chooses to ignore such as the mortal among Gods or the sidekick issue for example, but it is what it is. That's for another director to do and fortunately the Batman character is rich enough for there to be nearly endless interest in seeing different takes on it IMO

For me though here and now, I'm loving seeing Nolans take and I think Batman is a great vehicle for Nolan to explore a variety of really interesting ideas and moral questions and that's what these films are at the end of the day for me - they make me think and I guess that's why I enjoy them so much more than I could ever enjoy a pure popcorn flick

Last edited:

Of course, which is fine for people to enjoy it. It doesn't mean that people can't criticize or that they can't call Nolan closed minded for it, it's simply calling a spade a spade. Just because it doesn't bother some, doesn't make it untrue.

No director has got it fully correct, from Raimi foolishly setting up Peter's science nerdery then removing the webshooters, arguably the most important piece of it to Campbell completely misreading the Hal Jordan character but it doesn't mean that people can't enjoy it. I was simply answering the question of why Nolan shouldn't be closed-minded or narrow focused because his films could have been so much more had he chosen to do so and given his other films, he has shown that he can handle the "non-realistic" pieces of films and make them accessible which makes his decision questionable or even undesirable for some but definitely not unenjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back