The Fear of Price Drops on Your Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
99.9% of everything you spend your money on either looses value, becomes worthless or you poop it out after you eat it.

These are toys, not investments. Fancy and expensive toys, but still just toys. Deal with it, or spend your money elsewhere.

I honestly don't care if my figures drop in price or not. I don't buy them with intent to sell them later on, only time I'll sell them is if I'm hard up for money. If a figure increases in price, that's a bonus, if it drops, it's no real biggie to me.

I'd be nervous to sell mine.. Have heard many horror stories from sellers on eBay getting taken advantage of (parts swapped, newly broken joints when it was fine before etc). What's the best avenue for selling HT anyways?

but still there are some that sees it as an investment. we love our toys, but we love it even more when it double in price. dont we? anyway i still love what i collect:)

Don't care about figure value.
Care A LOT about initial quality control when HT/EB ship stuff.
Care A LOT about degradation. $200+ toys should not rot or leak in the short term.

It is my feeling that the figures whose value ends up doubling or tripling evens things out for those figures whose value drops to half what I paid. I've been generally keeping my figures in rotation anyhow as I have limited display space, so I'll sell one figure to make room for another. Consequently, this will save me from having some 8 year old figure that's so dated its no longer of any value to anyone.

Don't let stuff collect dust on the bottom shelf or in storage. If you haven't touched it or looked at it in months, sell it while you still can.

99.9% of everything you spend your money on either looses value, becomes worthless or you poop it out after you eat it.

These are toys, not investments. Fancy and expensive toys, but still just toys. Deal with it, or spend your money elsewhere.

:lecture

Think of it this way: how much enjoyment are you getting on a daily basis from a figure you spent $150 on? Put a price tag on that and don't bother looking to see how much the re-sale value is. Just think of how much you've been enjoying seeing the figure on your shelf from the day you pulled it out of the box.

Yes, some figures and pieces end up shooting up in value, but think of them as the exception to the rule. Everything will go down in value eventually. Believe me, when you're retired and are going to try and sell these figures you've held on to for decades in order to pad your nest egg, they are not going to be worth any more than your grandmother's Hummels and Madam Alexander dolls are worth now.

I feel sorry for anyone whose joy and pleasure in collecting toys is marred by concern about their monetary value :dunno

:exactly: :clap:clap

If you're focused on the $$$ you're really not in this hobby for the right reason.

Collect for the love, man! I have old Transformers that are beat and not worth much, but they are an important part of my collection. I also have a few old VHS tapes I need to have (like the first time I owned a copy of Halloween!)

Hot Toys are expensive, and addictive, and I do not like when newer version of figs come out (especially when there are other products, lines, etc. they can make - Like Pepper Pots or Joker Goons or Gordon or Expendable Dudes or Whatever - something new for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I digress, collect for the love. If you can't afford it, collect less or seek something else.

I do agree with all the people that say "collect for the love" but I know where the OP is coming from also. I don't collect as an investment, but it's nice to know that it has value. Nobody wants to pay $200+ everytime to just say it's not worth sh@t. I have $22,000 into my collection now, so it would be kind of sad to say it's worth almost nothing.

I think anyone who doesn't think about resell value AT ALL is lying. Granted, it's not the first thing I think about but it's always there in the back of my mind. Don't get me wrong, I never buy a statue with the intention of reselling it to make a profit. So far, my collection is small since I started after Con '10 but I have yet to resell anything I have purchased. But with anything you collect, chances are there are better things to be investing in if you want to end up with equal or more money than you started. I make sure that I have plenty more money invested in my retirement than toys so hopefully, my little addictive toy habit won't bite me in the ass in the future. Oh, and I have kids on the way so I am more afraid of them destroying my 1:1 ironman bust!

Who gives a ____ what the value of your collectables are. You buy them because you enjoy them not because their worth big $$$$

If you want to “invest” in something go buy ____ing stocks and get out of this HOBBY.

Back