The Fear of Price Drops on Your Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I don't worry about resale value. I get stuff to enjoy them. Whatever priced I paid for something I felt it was worth it.

why are a bunch of you bashing this guy. l see what he means. l don't fear this because every single PF l bought is worth more now then when l got them. but l do not want to buy stuff and it be worth nothing by the time l want to sell. l don't see this hobby as an investment, but l don't want to be pissing my money away either. l like the fact that if l need money l can sell my collection for at least wat l paid in the first place. l would hate to see a massive loss.

Me too, I only collect Batman and I would never sell any. Never even thought about it, ever! I don't care what they are worth, I only care for what I pay for them. I try to get them all at retail but sometimes you can't and have to go to eBay or another seller.

I think if your collecting to make profits its a difficult game to play and can be disappointing. If you collect for the love of the characters and movies you will be much happier.

i've never thought about resale value...ever. i'm not lying.

I'm going to be honest, I do Love this hobby, as much as some people here seem to think I dont, however the reason I am concerned about the price is really more of a narcisistic one. I kind of like having something valuable that others don't have. I guess what I'm saying is I love my figures and want people to like them, and understand how valuable they are. For example a friend of mine comes into my room and asked me "whats up with the batman figure?" (This is the DX btw) and to that I answered, "THIS, (pointing to the $500-$600 price range). IDK I just guess it helps me realize how amazing this hobby is, even to those muggle non-collectors.

persoanally i find the FS section of this board laughable. it's full of people trying to sell all these figures that were just released within the last year. bandwagon jumpers. they buy a figure cuz everybody else does and then sell it a few months later. sorry, that is not collecting. that's OCD.

I worry about the fact that the car I just bought in April has already lost thousands of dollars of resale value just by virtue of me driving it off of the lot.

I worry about the housing slump and the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to sell the house I've dumped tens of thousands of dollars into over the last 8 years for enough money to break even.

I worry about how my 401(k) portfolio is losing more value month-to-month than I'm even contributing to it.

I don't worry about how the $200 doll I bought might be worth $100 next week/month/year.

persoanally i find the FS section of this board laughable. it's full of people trying to sell all these figures that were just released within the last year. bandwagon jumpers. they buy a figure cuz everybody else does and then sell it a few months later. sorry, that is not collecting. that's OCD.

What's even funnier is that people that say they don't think of resale value but sell their stuff way above retail :lol https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77000

bandwagon jumpers. they buy a figure cuz everybody else does and then sell it a few months later. sorry, that is not collecting. that's OCD.

that's not OCD. that's them just tryin to fit in. then they get bored of it, sell it and maybe hope for a profit.

what l don't like about some sellers is they think they have the holy grail. they want rediculas ebay type prices. like the guy selling his HT elder pred 2. with no box. he wants $900 plus shipping. well that's usally what they go for wih the box. then he says "no with the box they are well over a thousand. the box is only worth $30", well not many sell for that unless they are stil NIB.

I love all my hot toys figures and have never sold one, but if they declined in value significantly I would feel a little bad.

Honestly I dont think anyone will surpass HT in the long run. Look at the advancements we've seen from the mark 3 iron man suit to the mark6, etc. Even the difference in the head sculpts is notable.

I wouldn't care if the figure I bought sometime ago would be worth only 1$ today.:dunno
Not buying to sell and its worth to me as much I paid for it rather than what other people will pay for it.:exactly:

Last edited:
I worry about the fact that the car I just bought in April has already lost thousands of dollars of resale value just by virtue of me driving it off of the lot.

I worry about the housing slump and the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to sell the house I've dumped tens of thousands of dollars into over the last 8 years for enough money to break even.

I worry about how my 401(k) portfolio is losing more value month-to-month than I'm even contributing to it.

I don't worry about how the $200 doll I bought might be worth $100 next week/month/year.

:goodpost:

Bottom line: The selling price of these figures/statues is much higher than the value of the process to produce them.
I collect comic book statues because it's a passion of mine that started decades ago (special thanks to Bowen Designs). In fifty years of collecting, I only once bought a piece in consideration of the potential resale value.

In 2003, I purchased a bust of the Hulk reading Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde upside down. To me, it's the coolest thing on the planet. At least until I get my lsb of Captain America. :)
And now, back to the Hulk reading Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde...

It was perfect because reading + Hulk = Smash, :gah: errr cool.

At no time did I worry about monetary value when considering the Hulk. The Hulk trying to educate himself, despite a futile way, created a sentimental value. Maybe someone would pay more than what I paid. Maybe less. But the bust I bought is irreplaceable in my view.

Now I don't consider myself a collector. Until this year, the Hulk was the only collectible I ever purchased. The Captain America movie inspired me to look for statues, and I found plenty of eye candy at Sideshow, as well as other places.

Prior to making my second purchase into collectible statues, figures, & etc., I did briefly ponder about resale value. For a nanosecond, I thought about getting 2 Hot Toys of Captain America. One to keep, and one to sell. I figured I would rather enjoy what I have instead of becoming obsessed about the value of a collectible. For me, it would take away from something I could enjoy.

Just right of my monitor, at near eye level, I can see the Hulk's eyes looking in my direction, but focused on reading that upside down book. The Hulk provides all the value I need to make life grand.

Back