The future of AI

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find AI to be pretty uninspired. But it gives uncreative people a chance to feel creative, so that's nice. Kind of like Disney.

(no, that comment was not directed at you, crows)
its just meme creator. simple as. its just a meme. its just a prank lol.
you think I post my original creations or my best pics here? I just post the memes. you will never see my original ideas, but I use it every day.
my AI folder has 80 thousand original images. completely original stuff I create.
uncreative, I think not. its the opposite, AI gives you a chance to create everything you could ever think of. its a door to your imagination at your fingertips.
its truly incredible. anything you ever think about. you create in seconds. like that dream scene in Inception.

( I didn't find any offense to your post and I don't mean to sound like I had an attitude, lol, I'm not upset. I just make memes. I'm just pointing out my opinion, my situation. even before AI I used to post memes here with Jye, I was never good at Photoshop but 7 years ago I used to post silly pics in here, specially the sandbox. AI just makes it easier to meme)

As an illustrator, animator and designer…I liken AI image creation to listening to the radio: You put in some basic inputs, twist some knobs and get a somewhat unpredictable result. It’s close enough to what you were looking for, but the kick comes from how random and unexpected the results can be.

But the radio can only function with existing musical fuel out there to generate results. It’s an entirely different beast to learn an instrument and write your own songs.

That being said, I’m sure that the powers that be are now already churning Beetlejuice: Judgement Day though the ol’ Hollywood probability machine :p

AI art is disposable. That's the problem. Think of something, crank it out.

Once upon a time, you could draw anything your heart desired. But it did take some attention, some understanding of dimension, etc. It required concentration. Not AI. It simply dilutes your potential abilities rather than accentuate them. You learn nothing; no skill is gained. Just something cranked out to post and hope you gets some "likes'.

AI art is disposable. That's the problem. Think of something, crank it out.

Once upon a time, you could draw anything your heart desired. But it did take some attention, some understanding of dimension, etc. It required concentration. Not AI. It simply dilutes your potential abilities rather than accentuate them. You learn nothing; no skill is gained. Just something cranked out to post and hope you gets some "likes'.

i remember when Photoshop was coming out and Real artists were saying that clicking on a mouse didn't make you a real artist. or when autotune came out, or when drum machines and DJs started showing up. its just technology advancing stuff
like cgi is not as real as practical effects.
ironically Beetlejuice Beetlejuice used a lot of practical. real artists making sets and costumes.
cgi did the same to practical effects that ai did to art.

I'm not sure that spending 40 minutes hand drawing my image of bettlejuice and Terminator would have made it any better.
sure AI art is disposable, but it gave everyone a chance to create their dreams and imaginations. ai might not take any skill, but even a farmer or a plumber can create his vision now. whatever his imagination desires

anything they dream of. its like the operator guy in the matrix movie.

i remember when Photoshop was coming out and Real artists were saying that clicking on a mouse didn't make you a real artist. or when autotune came out, or when drum machines and DJs started showing up. its just technology advancing stuff
like cgi is not as real as practical effects.
I've heard this remark about AI several times now; examples going all the way back to the Gutenberg press.

I think this is fundamentally different and unpredictable. The scale alone is unprecedented, and there is the added dimension of mass theft.

Yes, I'm aware that artists are inspired by, 'steal', remix and recombine art from the world around them.

But AI as it exists right now is to an extent a mass-scale data scraper deployed by for-profit tech companies that may easily disregard or circumvent things like intellectual property.

You put your work online via someone else's platform e.g. Meta, you sign away many of those rights anyway, but even your own platform in the public domain is exposed to a million bots and data scrapers 24/7 so ... unintended consequences here we come.

sure AI art is disposable, but it gave everyone a chance to create their dreams and imaginations. ai might not take any skill, but even a farmer or a plumber can create his vision now. whatever his imagination desires

anything they dream of. its like the operator guy in the matrix movie.
This could turn out well or ... given human frailty, quite poorly.

In 1995 I thought the Internet would democratize arts and culture and elevate communication. Arguably it has done neither and increased the noise to signal ratio like a cheap tabloid rag multiplied a billion times a day.

I'm not sure.

To your point above, we're now very close to realizing the 'Garage Kubrick' that William Gibson wrote about many years ago now.

But the Garage Kubrick isn't arriving without unwanted company and I don't pretend to know what form that will take.

I maintain that we're scaling up human frailty and it makes me uneasy.

I've heard this remark about AI several times now; examples going all the way back to the Gutenberg press.

I think this is fundamentally different and unpredictable. The scale alone is unprecedented, and there is the added dimension of mass theft.

Yes, I'm aware that artists are inspired by, 'steal', remix and recombine art from the world around them.

But AI as it exists right now is to an extent a mass-scale data scraper deployed by for-profit tech companies that may easily disregard or circumvent things like intellectual property.

You put your work online via someone else's platform e.g. Meta, you sign away many of those rights anyway, but even your own platform in the public domain is exposed to a million bots and data scrapers 24/7 so ... unintended consequences here we come.

This could turn out well or ... given human frailty, quite poorly.

In 1995 I thought the Internet would democratize arts and culture and elevate communication. Arguably it has done neither and increased the noise to signal ratio like a cheap tabloid rag multiplied a billion times a day.

I'm not sure.

To your point above, we're now very close to realizing the 'Garage Kubrick' that William Gibson wrote about many years ago now.

But the Garage Kubrick isn't arriving without unwanted company and I don't pretend to know what form that will take.

I maintain that we're scaling up human frailty and it makes me uneasy.

I'll say one thing, I will agree that companies should never use AI for a visual product. I will agree that marvel should not use AI for the opening of their shows. I can understand that. I will never agree with Disney using AI for a cartoon movie.
Also if I buy a real painting for my home. If I probably want a real painter to do it. that's not lost on me. real art will always be appreciated. ( that's where my Photoshop comment came from. I'm remember people saying that computer art wasn't real art)

but at the same time, current Hollywood writing is really bad. Hollywood is really arrogant and they think they are made of gold. awful projects keep coming out. maybe AI wouldn't be so prevalent in script writing if Hollywood did better. I'm not saying I want movies written by ai, but Hollywood better stop with the arrogance ( like Disney) and better get mire humble.

as for the Internet, would you really want a world without internet? sure the Internet created a lot of problems. but it opened so many doors, it literally expanded our world. it expanded human connections. it expanded our creativity. it gave a voice to some many people on YouTube. I wouldn't want the Internet to go away.
(as for ai. for me is like playing Tetris on my phone, it's just a hobby. its like Microsoft Paint for your mind )

yeah if a company uses AI to create art to sell yeah. anything else fair game ( you could even say it's parody which is allowed)
and how will you stop AI scripts? how would you know if they used it !
Just read the news (the news not written by AI.)

e.g. new WGA contract banned (or severely limited) use of GAI to write scripts, lawsuits by authors/artists/groups of artists against GAI companies like Stability, MidJourney and DeviantArt have popped up like mushrooms in the past 18 months etc etc

Machines may do the scraping and the generating, but the companies and individuals that own/control those machines can be targeted - and that's what's already happening. And with GAI rapidly moving into the legal field, targeting GAI using GAI will see these types of actions explode.

And parody has a specific definition under Fair Use law - that's what determines what's allowed and what isn't rather than blanket assumptions. Don't meet the definition, expect the lawsuit (yes, possibly GAI generated.) :lol

as for the Internet, would you really want a world without internet? sure the Internet created a lot of problems. but it opened so many doors, it literally expanded our world. it expanded human connections. it expanded our creativity. it gave a voice to some many people on YouTube. I wouldn't want the Internet to go away.
It's going nowhere regardless of what I want. For the record, I wouldn't want to lose the powerful tools it gives us but I'm not sure if as a species we're going to adjust to the unintended consequences well. So far it hasn't been great due to the intersection of laziness, greed, ignorance and sheer stupidity.

EDIT: I'm just over 50 years old. I've worked with lots of technology in a mostly design context across more than one industry. I taught myself to code in the late '90s and updated my skills over the years -- I used to love the Internet, tech and its vast potential. I'm not a Luddite or someone uncomfortable with tech.

I've been trained by highly skilled professionals, I've been in the meetings and lectures. I often don't like what I'm seeing.

It's going nowhere regardless of what I want. For the record, I wouldn't want to lose the powerful tools it gives us but I'm not sure if as a species we're going to adjust to the unintended consequences well. So far it hasn't been great due to the intersection of laziness, greed, ignorance and sheer stupidity.

EDIT: I'm just over 50 years old. I've worked with lots of technology in a mostly design context across more than one industry. I taught myself to code in the late '90s and updated my skills over the years -- I used to love the Internet, tech and its vast potential. I'm not a Luddite or someone uncomfortable with tech.

I've been trained by highly skilled professionals, I've been in the meetings and lectures. I often don't like what I'm seeing.
I just wanted to meme. and wor-gar calls me out.

I'm never even ever. posting another AI meme, again.

You're not meme-ing with that tool. You're toying with powers you don't even understand.

200.gif

e.g. new WGA contract banned (or severely limited) use of GAI to write scripts, lawsuits by authors/artists/groups of artists against GAI companies like Stability, MidJourney and DeviantArt have popped up like mushrooms in the past 18 months etc etc

A neighbor of mine committed suicide in mid 2022. He was older, didn't have kids, was never married, lived alone on a fixed income, didn't have too many hobbies, was sort of a recluse. I only got to know him because I used to do grocery shopping very early at one point and he also did, so sometimes we were literally the only people in the store. He was an OK guy, but it was easy to see he was depressed and lacked consistent meaningful human contact.

Could AI have helped him? I'll explain.

Therapy on an individual level is pretty expensive. And many therapists out there aren't very good at their jobs. While it would seem a little creepy to some, an AI therapist would be an interesting cost effective wrinkle/option for the elderly. Also an AI Conversation Companion. Someone to play board games with online or have a conversation about specific topics. If AI could reduce the paperwork/bureaucracy load of those in health care, maybe there would have been more opportunity for better/more patient care for this person.

My first question on AI is how it can be used for problem solving. For screen writing, I don't think it's a great idea for AI to replace actual human writers, however tools to do things like fact checking, or something to assess budgetary considerations or lore/canon factors, that could all be useful. If someone was writing a Star Wars script, and could check different concepts against established lore/canon across the broad scope of all SW properties, that could be interesting. Or a tool to break down the projectible budget after running a script through it, to get some hard numbers on the financial viability of a concept with actual concrete current numbers, that would be useful. Even AI checking your script for plotholes or dangling plotlines, that might be a good reality check for some.

IMHO, AI is like a gun. It's a tool. Everyone hopes the tool never ends up in the hands of a moron. But in some cases, that tool in application is actually pretty useful in specific circumstances.

But truth be told, I'd like to see what AI can do by having it stretch it's legs. For example, if AI could rewrite and produce an animated version of Game Of Thrones S8, that would be interesting. Not a remake, but a clear revision and reboot. Also it would be wild for shows that never got a proper ending ( were cancelled too soon), and AI developed more animated seasons of that show. Imagine two more seasons of Freaks And Geeks. How about a real conclusion to Soap ( am the only one here besides @jye4ever old enough to remember Soap with Billy Crystal? )

Personally I'd call it a coin flip. For ever use that's interesting and could be helpful to our society, there's the flip side danger of the parameters being set by morons.

Lord Of The Rings Bilbo GIF by Maudit

A neighbor of mine committed suicide in mid 2022. He was older, didn't have kids, was never married, lived alone on a fixed income, didn't have too many hobbies, was sort of a recluse. I only got to know him because I used to do grocery shopping very early at one point and he also did, so sometimes we were literally the only people in the store. He was an OK guy, but it was easy to see he was depressed and lacked consistent meaningful human contact.

Could AI have helped him? I'll explain.

Therapy on an individual level is pretty expensive. And many therapists out there aren't very good at their jobs. While it would seem a little creepy to some, an AI therapist would be an interesting cost effective wrinkle/option for the elderly. Also an AI Conversation Companion. Someone to play board games with online or have a conversation about specific topics. If AI could reduce the paperwork/bureaucracy load of those in health care, maybe there would have been more opportunity for better/more patient care for this person.

My first question on AI is how it can be used for problem solving. For screen writing, I don't think it's a great idea for AI to replace actual human writers, however tools to do things like fact checking, or something to assess budgetary considerations or lore/canon factors, that could all be useful. If someone was writing a Star Wars script, and could check different concepts against established lore/canon across the broad scope of all SW properties, that could be interesting. Or a tool to break down the projectible budget after running a script through it, to get some hard numbers on the financial viability of a concept with actual concrete current numbers, that would be useful. Even AI checking your script for plotholes or dangling plotlines, that might be a good reality check for some.

IMHO, AI is like a gun. It's a tool. Everyone hopes the tool never ends up in the hands of a moron. But in some cases, that tool in application is actually pretty useful in specific circumstances.

But truth be told, I'd like to see what AI can do by having it stretch it's legs. For example, if AI could rewrite and produce an animated version of Game Of Thrones S8, that would be interesting. Not a remake, but a clear revision and reboot. Also it would be wild for shows that never got a proper ending ( were cancelled too soon), and AI developed more animated seasons of that show. Imagine two more seasons of Freaks And Geeks. How about a real conclusion to Soap ( am the only one here besides @jye4ever old enough to remember Soap with Billy Crystal? )

Personally I'd call it a coin flip. For ever use that's interesting and could be helpful to our society, there's the flip side danger of the parameters being set by morons.

see that's why AI is so amazing, as a joke in a couple of minutes I could have made a crow headed man holding a gun and dancing as a joke. or make gollum be holding a golden gun instead of the ring.
it would just take me a few seconds to do a funny meme on your gun comment,

as for AI and health, ai has always been useful in tests at currently diagnosing some conditions just by looking at your eyes or face, not even mentioning the symptoms, just by looking at you.
as for psychology, imagine feeding the AI every single book on psychology and feeding it the writings of every major psychologist in history,
it would be an insane encyclopedia of knowledge.

personally I'm just waiting to see for love robots to fully have AI integrated into their programming. that's coming

AI can be used to improve our lives and helps people, but the moment it starts being used to replace people or their work is when I take an issue with it.

I can't wait for all of these executives to start greenlighting fully AI shows, movies, games, etc. and to watch them flop.

Back