The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's sacrilege, but I've always felt that Tolkien was pretty crap at writing.
Love his ideas and world building, but his writing is sometimes a real chore to get through (and I've read The Lord of the Rings three times). Plus the fact that he never got his **** together to unify his own mythos is... off-putting.
It's a testament to how good and solid the core ideas and characters are that despite all that I still love the damn thing. :lol

Great episode I thought this week. I hope Charlie Vickers career blows up after his performance as Sauron, he kills it every episode and steals the show every time he's on screen.

If you haven't watched the show, how did you reach that conclusion about her character? Or is the "it" you're referring to Season 2? I actually liked the her, but then I remembered liking the actress in Homeland so I was probably predisposed to giving her the benefit of the doubt.
Season 1. Am always up for a fiesty new female. (Have a sliding scale re canon/non canon characters or events, depending if they work for me or not).

But IMO she was dull. The whole elf romance thing was dull. The elf is dull.

I'll watch S2 when I can binge it. Not many series IMO these days where I just hafta watch, like Andor.

I know it's sacrilege, but I've always felt that Tolkien was pretty crap at writing.
Love his ideas and world building, but his writing is sometimes a real chore to get through (and I've read The Lord of the Rings three times). Plus the fact that he never got his **** together to unify his own mythos is... off-putting.
It's a testament to how good and solid the core ideas and characters are that despite all that I still love the damn thing. :lol
*Grins*
Read
"How Tolkien Sucks: An Essay About Literary Excitement Kindle Edition
by David Ellis Dickerson" (Amazon)

Some stuff that's pretty funny, like Tolkien occasionally sounding like a tour guide. Worth the dollar or whatever this costs for the laughs.

So, yeah. But at the same time - it's like PJ's Middle Earth - there's things that are a slog, or questionable, or irritating. But magnificent work. :love

Back