The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon Prime Video - September 2, 2022

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's sacrilege, but I've always felt that Tolkien was pretty crap at writing.
Love his ideas and world building, but his writing is sometimes a real chore to get through (and I've read The Lord of the Rings three times). Plus the fact that he never got his **** together to unify his own mythos is... off-putting.
It's a testament to how good and solid the core ideas and characters are that despite all that I still love the damn thing. :lol

Great episode I thought this week. I hope Charlie Vickers career blows up after his performance as Sauron, he kills it every episode and steals the show every time he's on screen.

If you haven't watched the show, how did you reach that conclusion about her character? Or is the "it" you're referring to Season 2? I actually liked the her, but then I remembered liking the actress in Homeland so I was probably predisposed to giving her the benefit of the doubt.
Season 1. Am always up for a fiesty new female. (Have a sliding scale re canon/non canon characters or events, depending if they work for me or not).

But IMO she was dull. The whole elf romance thing was dull. The elf is dull.

I'll watch S2 when I can binge it. Not many series IMO these days where I just hafta watch, like Andor.

I know it's sacrilege, but I've always felt that Tolkien was pretty crap at writing.
Love his ideas and world building, but his writing is sometimes a real chore to get through (and I've read The Lord of the Rings three times). Plus the fact that he never got his **** together to unify his own mythos is... off-putting.
It's a testament to how good and solid the core ideas and characters are that despite all that I still love the damn thing. :lol
*Grins*
Read
"How Tolkien Sucks: An Essay About Literary Excitement Kindle Edition
by David Ellis Dickerson" (Amazon)

Some stuff that's pretty funny, like Tolkien occasionally sounding like a tour guide. Worth the dollar or whatever this costs for the laughs.

So, yeah. But at the same time - it's like PJ's Middle Earth - there's things that are a slog, or questionable, or irritating. But magnificent work. :love

Ugh, another hint that the Stranger is Gandalf. 🫤 He asks to learn from Tom how to wield “the secret fire.” I know the hints just keep coming but I still want him to be Pallando. Maybe all wizards ultimately use the secret fire, not just Gandalf.

Ugh, another hint that the Stranger is Gandalf. 🫤 He asks to learn from Tom how to wield “the secret fire.” I know the hints just keep coming but I still want him to be Pallando. Maybe all wizards ultimately use the secret fire, not just Gandalf.
This sounds so awful. Memba berrries thrown at a wall hoping something will stick.

Without any appreciation for depth and all that. Exactly like bad fan fiction. Maybe a Time Lord will show up.

It will be something to watch while waiting around for Andor tho.

Seems like a misdirect to me, why would Gandalf be the only servant of the "secret fire".

WHY in the NAME OF ERU ILUVATAR would Tom Bombadil know more about the Flame Imperishable than Olorin of the Maia.
Why would some wild pagan nature-deity know more about God than one of his own angels....

God I hate this show so much

Black And White Vintage GIF

Last edited:
Seems like a misdirect to me, why would Gandalf be the only servant of the "secret fire".

Yeah, it sounds like an elemental force that all magic users can manipulate. Gandalf might end up with more juice in wielding it than most by virtue of possessing one of the three elven rings of power, Narya.

I do find it funny when people get mad over their own theories or speculation for things that haven't happened or may never happen.
My hate for this show is well documented by now and has much supporting it.
My above statement was more about the Tom Bombadil as Olorin's Yoda thing than anything else - a pagan god inspired entity teaching an actual angel about the nature of God and the Flame Imperishable.
But the above wouldn't surprise me at this point, the writers have no respect or reverence for Tolkien's world and writing.

Yeah, it sounds like an elemental force that all magic users can manipulate. Gandalf might end up with more juice in wielding it than most by virtue of possessing one of the three elven rings of power, Narya.

Melkor would have loved to know he could apparently wield the Flame Imperishable this whole time :ROFLMAO:

WHY in the NAME OF ERU ILUVATAR would Tom Bombadil know more about the Flame Imperishable than Olorin of the Maia.
Why would some wild pagan nature-deity know more about God than one of his own angels....

Wait.... tell me they are not gonna lean into the widely discredited fan-theory that Tom Bombadil is Eru Iluvatar?

God I hate this show so much

Black And White Vintage GIF

Sometimes I wonder if he’s a manifestation of the sheer mystery of existence. Of it’s inscrutability. But I also like the notion that he’s soul of Arda, of the entire world itself. Like the concept of Gaia. Which has a male aspect and a female aspect in the couple of Tom and Goldberry.

My hate for this show is well documented by now and has much supporting it.
My above statement was more about the Tom Bombadil as Olorin's Yoda thing than anything else - a pagan god inspired entity teaching an actual angel about the nature of God and the Flame Imperishable.
But the above wouldn't surprise me at this point, the writers have no respect or reverence for Tolkien's world and writing.

Melkor would have loved to know he could apparently wield the Flame Imperishable this whole time :ROFLMAO:

Is it out of the question that Melkor knows about it and can use it if he wants? I’m not enough of a Tolkien lore nerd to know.

Back