The Penguin (The Batman) limited series | HBO Max

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic first episode. I've never really had much interest in this gangster/mafia world everyone else loves so much, but Farrell's performance is just so damn compelling in this, and Milioti was great as well.

I do agree it's a bit odd not having Batman referenced at all though (except in that brief news clip at the start), especially since the movie made such a big point about how he had stirred up so much fear and paranoia in the criminal world.

Fantastic first episode. I've never really had much interest in this gangster/mafia world everyone else loves so much, but Farrell's performance is just so damn compelling in this, and Milioti was great as well.

I do agree it's a bit odd not having Batman referenced at all though (except in that brief news clip at the start), especially since the movie made such a big point about how he had stirred up so much fear and paranoia in the criminal world.
I was never into any mafia crime movies or series because real world crime was more interesting than fiction.

Godfather, Sopranos, Goodfellas meh all of it bores me I rather watch a documentary or the news.

Only reason i’m into this is because of the fictional world of Batman.

However no matter if this show turns out to be a 10 out of a 10 masterpiece perfection if Batman is not shown or for the very least even mentioned it will make this show complete useless pointless garbage.

It will instantly go from a 10/10 to a 0/0.

My dad just rang me out of nowhere to gush about how amazing the first episode of this show is and how incredible Colin Farrell's acting is, and apparently he has already watched it twice.
And he isn't even a comic-book movie nerd :ROFLMAO:
A good show is a good show - so this is good news, I do hope they don't completely exercise the larger than life elements though, I dont mind a grounded Gotham but it shouldn't forget its a comic-book world setting.

However no matter if this show turns out to be a 10 out of a 10 masterpiece perfection if Batman is not shown or for the very least even mentioned it will make this show complete useless pointless garbage.
It will instantly go from a 10/10 to a 0/0.

TKiKBePHcOwiZ2uJpdbOCXypwdodIxy4YsDb-kphAbE.jpg

:lol

Just goes to show you how Gotham could have been an absolute masterpiece if it didn’t mess around and try and do to much.

Honestly I hope this does great. I’m not a fan of crime drama or mafia stuff but this actually drew me in.

Very happy with how this turned out first 15 min of the episode really suprised me on how great they capture the gangster aspect of Gotham. The preformences in the show are amazing and I hope we see more and although we don't get mention of Batman in ep1 apart from the opening news reels. I do hope he's at least mentioned once.

IGN gave Penguin a 5 and Agatha an 8 :slap

Look at all of that representation!!!

sigh

They actually gave both of them an 8 for their series premier episodes.

I'm not really sure how Penguin turns into a 5 for the whole season though unless it REALLY drops of in quality in later episodes.

Just goes to show you how Gotham could have been an absolute masterpiece if it didn’t mess around and try and do to much.

Bruno Heller tried to make a certain kind of show during Gotham's first season. He just couldn't hold onto an audience with the show's original construction.

My best guess is the show went wider when it was clear, IMHO, that some of the major casting were total misfires. David Mazouz as young Bruce Wayne, I just didn't find him interesting at all. Ben McKenzie was also a total flop. I felt Donal Logue ( usually a pretty great actor in most things) was totally wasted. Aside from a few standouts ( Lord Taylor as Penguin in a pretty tough role and Carrigan as Zsasz, I didn't see much acting firepower show up. I don't mind Jessica Lucas and her bad acting at all. I'm not quite sure it should be legal to be that hot.

That's sort of the tough nut to crack with a show like that, you can't get it made without Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon on some level, but the really interesting storylines are more aligned to guys like Bullock and Zsasz. Heller went from HBO Rome's cast to close to total dregs. I mean, that's just a rough ride where the core tone had to change to keep the show on the air at all.

Television that follows the classic 42 minutes, plus a recap, plus having to write teasers to precede each commercial break, and dangle something to get the audience back the next week, that's incredibly limiting. Gotham needed true prestige treatment, fewer episodes, high production quality ( though I thought the show looked pretty good most of the time) and a better cast on a different network.

What do you think? What would you have changed?

Last edited:
Bruno Heller tried to make a certain kind of show during Gotham's first season. He just couldn't hold onto an audience with the show's original construction.

My best guess is the show went wider when it was clear, IMHO, that some of the major casting were total misfires. David Mazouz as young Bruce Wayne, I just didn't find him interesting at all. Ben McKenzie was also a total flop. I felt Donal Logue ( usually a pretty great actor in most things) was totally wasted. Aside from a few standouts ( Lord Taylor as Penguin in a pretty tough role and Carrigan as Zsasz, I didn't see much acting firepower show up. I don't mind Jessica Lucas and her bad acting at all. I'm not quite sure it should be legal to be that hot.

That's sort of the tough nut to crack with a show like that, you can't get it made without Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon on some level, but the really interesting storylines are more aligned to guys like Bullock and Zsasz. Heller went from HBO Rome's cast to close to total dregs. I mean, that's just a rough ride where the core tone had to change to keep the show on the air at all.

Television that follows the classic 42 minutes, plus a recap, plus having to write teasers to precede each commercial break, and dangle something to get the audience back the next week, that's incredibly limiting. Gotham needed true prestige treatment, fewer episodes, high production quality ( though I thought the show looked pretty good most of the time) and a better cast on a different network.

What do you think? What would you have changed?
I would have made it center around young Bruce Wayne and young Selina. I’d have the Wayne’s killed in like the ending of season 1. I’d use limited rogues. I’d use a young penguin, the mafia family, and perhaps a few no names for the gotham pd to tackle.

I’d would have never put Batman in the show . Just training.
No joker. Maybe a slight tease but not so heavy handed as the show did.
Would have made the Gotham pd actually solve crazy murders in gotham.

It all would have led up to Bruce leaving to train to become stronger and leavi g Selina behind. A bitter sweet ending .
The main bad guy for the show is pick is black mask as an up and coming threat.

Found it absolutely crazy how the show literally used all of his rogues right down to Harley. Show reallly fell off

Back