The Watchmen Figure Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not talking big toy stores like TRU or FAO or even Wal-Mart I'm talking stores like Fireside Collectibles. Do I really think that my LCS goes back to Bowen and charges back money when they can't sell something? Or DCD? Absolutely not, they are stuck with it. I see the point of selling to big time chains but honestly in this collecting field that is a rarity. I'm still shocked when I see DCD at TRU and if they DO charge DCD back when they clearance something it hasn't hurt that company one bit because I've seen their stuff clearanced at TRU for years and they're still going strong.

As for your "bizarre" notion you haven't said one thing to prove otherwise other than tease some interview.

I know that the video and book business is different from toys, but every retailer, not just the big ones can return any book or DVD that doesn't sell and they pay nothing. I do know that Walmart does get discounts on product they can't sell at the original price and the manufacturer has to eat it.

But if the small retailers get stuck with items and have to clearance them, then they won't order the next item from the manufacturer and the line will die. So DCD, HT, SSC all look at that when planning whether to keep a line alive or not.

I totally agree.

And any company that can't survive the crisis, I say too bad for them. Mourn their losses and move on. Its survival of the fittest, man. That's how people in the world revolves, sad but true.

I'm going to buy it for whatever I think it's worth. I blind-ordered The Manhattan figure for $100 plus tax. After it came out and I held it in my hands, I decided I never would have paid that much for it. I got the Comedian for much less. I will pay for Rorschach whatever I think it is worth.

I'm not going to "save" the toy companies by paying more for something that isn't worth it to me. Maybe DCD Direct will eventually get the message and realize that a $100+ figure needs to look like it's worth $100.

I'm not going to "save" the toy companies by paying more for something that isn't worth it to me. Maybe DCD Direct will eventually get the message and realize that a $100+ figure needs to look like it's worth $100.

I doubt they'll lower the price on future releases. If they don't sell, they'll likely cancel the line.

If not buying at full MSRP were any real way to lower a company's pricing then it would have worked ten fold on some companies. Even some of the popular lines that have lame ducks don't seem to really effect the overall status. The DCD 1/6 line has had a few members who are bargain basement priced it won't effect that line just make it so more obsecure characters are passed up with the thought they won't fly. Its a really difficult line to tow because on one end do you support a company provided subpar product by buying full price in the hopes that they make the ones you want or do you avoid the ones released because you don't think they are worth it but know full well that it means the lines will focus on "sure sellers".

If not buying at full MSRP were any real way to lower a company's pricing then it would have worked ten fold on some companies. Even some of the popular lines that have lame ducks don't seem to really effect the overall status. The DCD 1/6 line has had a few members who are bargain basement priced it won't effect that line just make it so more obsecure characters are passed up with the thought they won't fly. Its a really difficult line to tow because on one end do you support a company provided subpar product by buying full price in the hopes that they make the ones you want or do you avoid the ones released because you don't think they are worth it but know full well that it means the lines will focus on "sure sellers".

You're right - if the figures don't sell at retail, the manufacturer will cancel the line rather than lowering the price. They've already determined what the price point needs to be for them to make the profit they feel they need to justify releasing the item. If it doesn't sell at that price point - they won't release any more in that line.

Which means that if you wait for clearance - you're killing the line.

That I agree with although there are a few lines which are so broad that waiting for clearance has more to do with the figure choices offered then adversely effecting the whole line. I don't think because people are buying Aquaman and Shazam cheap that DCD will say "Oh, cancel the line" especially when they do have ones that clear the shelves. For Watchmen for example though if none of them sell well at retail then you won't get anything past the three offered because if there were already plans to continue without a doubt they'd be at least teased by now.

Killing the line is something that I agree with completely, now the original comment was

I'll be publishing an interview shortly that will bring up the topic of waiting for clearances and how much it is negatively effecting our community. If you want a toy, bite the bullet and buy it. If we don't support the companies we like during this recession, we won't have them after the recession.

I still say we haven't seen any concrete proof of this especially since this thread is mainly about DC Direct items which have shown no sign of slowing as a company. Especially the indication that they'll be gone after the recession. Some of the smaller companies sure because they only have one line but there are those companies that start and fold year after year. When looking at Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Hot Toys, etc. You are risking a line not the entire company.

I saw the 13" Rorschach figure last week at my TRU but they couldn't sell until the 11th. I already have it on preorder with my lcs so I wasn't tooo worried about it. It's the only 1/6 Rory on the market so far so I'm gonna lay down the $80. It looked pretty decent but I think it needs a little work. I'm anxious to see what the mask underneath his face looks like.

I'm not thrilled with it pricewise and haven't seen too many 13inchers that were really worth the price, maybe Green Arrow. The only figures I've bought to date are the first Batman and the grey Batgirl which I got for about $16 a piece when the WBstore had them on clearance. Specialty market or not I don't think these should be anymore than $50 or so. They own the liscenses for crying out loud!:rolleyes:

I saw the 13" Rorschach figure last week at my TRU but they couldn't sell until the 11th. I already have it on preorder with my lcs so I wasn't tooo worried about it. It's the only 1/6 Rory on the market so far so I'm gonna lay down the $80. It looked pretty decent but I think it needs a little work. I'm anxious to see what the mask underneath his face looks like.

I'm not thrilled with it pricewise and haven't seen too many 13inchers that were really worth the price, maybe Green Arrow. The only figures I've bought to date are the first Batman and the grey Batgirl which I got for about $16 a piece when the WBstore had them on clearance. Specialty market or not I don't think these should be anymore than $50 or so. They own the liscenses for crying out loud!:rolleyes:

There is an unmasked (or unfaced if you want to call it that) picture in this thread, here is the link to the post if you want to see it.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1512303&postcount=238

Are there pics of the Diamond one yet? Is the differene just the bloody face and prison sign on the TRU version?

only difference I saw was unmasked and that prison sign....plus the TRU exclusive sticker. Other then that everything else is the same thing.

Could anyone who sees the 1/6 Rorschach in a Toys R Us store let me know their sku number or item number? I am hoping to call around with those numbers to see if anyone has it in stock.

Could anyone who sees the 1/6 Rorschach in a Toys R Us store let me know their sku number or item number? I am hoping to call around with those numbers to see if anyone has it in stock.

I'll be hitting TRU at lunch today. If they have him I'll post it.

EDIT: Now that you mention it, I think the person who got it off TRU.com may have posted the item number in this thread.

So anyone knows when the Dismond Exclusive one comes out at LCS?

According to my buddy at the comic shop they are expecting it next week. Most places like Wizard Universe for example have "end of March' as the date.

Are there pics of the Diamond one yet? Is the differene just the bloody face and prison sign on the TRU version?

The unmasked doesn't have the sign and a clean face app last time I checked although someone said that the beat up face app was applied to both so I guess we'll see next week....

Back