The Wire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant show. It has been some years now since I last watched it, I'd love to have the time to watch it all over again. The pacing and some of the story arcs in some seasons is challenging - I'm thinking specifically about the season 2 stevedores - I enjoyed the season overall, but found the story arc involving Ziggy a little long. And the narrative skirted the very edge of belief with some of the more absurd elements, ie McNulty's actions season 5's Baltimore Sun arc. But I forgive the absurdity because it's a very effective narrative device that contrasts with the more believable absurdities - those we know must be on the money in how these institutions function.

The characterisation was great. Omar of course is a fan favourite, but Bubbles was interesting in how an 'everyman' of the hard streets found himself at the pivot of so many story arcs. Great show - and yes, one of the few shows where the location is so beautifully rich and textured, basically being a major character in itself.

I recently watched it also and loved it

I loved that it involved so many characters and didn't center around one.

Loved the finale and how it all came full circle, the parts with dukie especially fitting as it pertained to bubs and his live

Yeah, the Dukie and Raymond stuff was rough. You see these kids falling through the cracks or getting chewed up and spit out by the system, and your mind can't help but wander to just how often stuff like that happens in reality. I agree, wholeheartedly, about the characters. I'm puzzled by how easily people seem to conclude that Omar is their favorite character. He's an amazing character, no doubt, and one of my favorites, for sure, but, like you said, there are just so many. Colvin, Cutty, Prez, McNulty, Bubs; I can go on, but it's fantastic.

The more I think about it, though, the more I loved Pryzbylewski's arc. It was just so natural; so fluid. The show did that a lot, actually. I love how it not only focused on characters, but also took the focus off of them when it wasn't necessary. Cutty, for example, was a great character, and, by the time he had established his gym, it felt like a natural place to leave the character. The show really feels like life, in that the landscape is constantly shifting and evolving for these people.

The acting was phenomenal also

Even the little parts like police sargeant fat John Cena and little finger

They really did an amazing job with that show, right behind sopranos for me in top TV shows made

You said Fat John Cena, they called him a "'John Goodman off his diet' mother****er," but, personally, I always saw him as like a lost Baldwin brother.:lol

Yep, great show. Been years since I've watched the series, maybe I need to do another run.

The bluray is available now, for those interested.

I'll never get tired of saying that whenever I meet someone that hasn't seen The Wire, it's someone I envy very, very much.

Best TV show ever, it hasn't been the same ever since I finished watching it when it actually aired (unlike many).

Only The Shield comes second to this masterpiece, IMO.

While we have had great, amazing shows (BB, MM, etc etc) nothing comes remotely close to matching The Wire's perfection.

Time for another viewing (likely the 10th).

Necro post incoming.

The Wire keeps coming up as one of the best series ever made, but until a few days ago I didn't even know what it was about.

I like to have at least one long series lined up to watch, and I'd reached the stage where I'd caught up and was only waiting on weekly episodes of other series to drop (to either watch or wait until those series were complete).

I therefore looked into The Wire, and as soon as I saw it was set and filmed in Baltimore I decided to give it a try.

Baltimore was on my radar after watching so many of Dan Bell's urban explorations and his Saturday night drives around the city and Leakin Park. Parts of the city look post apocalyptic and it's still characterised by drugs, murder and decay. And potholes! When I searched Dan's channels yesterday I saw he'd visited some of the locations used in The Wire, including the boxing club.

I've watched the first five episodes, and while I'm not sure yet whether it's one of the best, I am finding it intriguing, the characters interesting, and the scenery somewhat familiar. Seeing a younger Lance Reddick keeps reminding me of his role in Bosch. The two older cops also remind me of the pair in Bosch, especially Troy Evan's Detective Johnson and Tom Quinn's Detective Mahon, who even had similar dialogue in their respective shows.

I really do think it's some of the best television ever made, but it took me a little while to get invested. The change of focus in Season 2 was initially kind of weird but it all started making sense. I'd say the strongest elements are the characters rather than the overarching plot, although that's quite good by series end.

Necro post incoming.

The Wire keeps coming up as one of the best series ever made, but until a few days ago I didn't even know what it was about.

I like to have at least one long series lined up to watch, and I'd reached the stage where I'd caught up and was only waiting on weekly episodes of other series to drop (to either watch or wait until those series were complete).

I therefore looked into The Wire, and as soon as I saw it was set and filmed in Baltimore I decided to give it a try.

Baltimore was on my radar after watching so many of Dan Bell's urban explorations and his Saturday night drives around the city and Leakin Park. Parts of the city look post apocalyptic and it's still characterised by drugs, murder and decay. And potholes! When I searched Dan's channels yesterday I saw he'd visited some of the locations used in The Wire, including the boxing club.

I've watched the first five episodes, and while I'm not sure yet whether it's one of the best, I am finding it intriguing, the characters interesting, and the scenery somewhat familiar. Seeing a younger Lance Reddick keeps reminding me of his role in Bosch. The two older cops also remind me of the pair in Bosch, especially Troy Evan's Detective Johnson and Tom Quinn's Detective Mahon, who even had similar dialogue in their respective shows.
Worth spending more time on it - if not the best the Wire is in my top 5 all-time for sure.

I've watched the first ten episodes. It's good, but nothing stands out yet.

I'm more interested in the scenery. :lol

Top tens are hard to name because it depends on my mood. The Wire would have to change substantially for it to make the cut because there's a lot of competition.

I scanned down my list and pulled these out in alphabetical order as ones that stuck favourably in the memory:

Angel
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Firefly
Gotham
Hell on Wheels
Justified
Killing Eve
Misfits
Stranger Things
Supernatural

@Asta top tens are very difficult for me, as you said it depends on mood. I really dig some of the series on your list but not sure they'd make my list...let's see, no particular order off the top of my head:

The Wire (great character portraits and depiction of working class)
Sopranos (the banality of evil)
Breaking Bad (a chilling turn to the Dark Side with memorable cinematography)
True Blood (bit of a guilty pleasure that one)
Firefly (great genre mash-up)
Madmen (stunning work from start to finish)
Game of Thrones (in spite of a weak finish, still felt like the apotheosis of the genre)
Frasier (enjoyed it when I was younger, more so revisiting it as an adult)
Seinfeld (memorable to this day and still resonant)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer (memorable characters and an emotional finish)

Brilliant show. It has been some years now since I last watched it, I'd love to have the time to watch it all over again. The pacing and some of the story arcs in some seasons is challenging - I'm thinking specifically about the season 2 stevedores - I enjoyed the season overall, but found the story arc involving Ziggy a little long. And the narrative skirted the very edge of belief with some of the more absurd elements, ie McNulty's actions season 5's Baltimore Sun arc. But I forgive the absurdity because it's a very effective narrative device that contrasts with the more believable absurdities - those we know must be on the money in how these institutions function.

The characterisation was great. Omar of course is a fan favourite, but Bubbles was interesting in how an 'everyman' of the hard streets found himself at the pivot of so many story arcs. Great show - and yes, one of the few shows where the location is so beautifully rich and textured, basically being a major character in itself.

IMHO, the best way to watch The Wire is to watch S1, then skim S2 to avoid all the stuff about the docks and most of the police angle ( just focus on the Barksdales), then watch S3 and S4 completely ( show hit it's stride, these are the best seasons) and skim S5 ( avoid the newspaper angle, stories)

When The Wire is good, it's phenomenal. When it's bad, it's just bad but covered in care and high production values. I consider it a very honest but a very flawed show.

Had David Simon focused on the schools and pushed out the docks and newspapers and kept the police administration with much less of the detectives, that plus expanding the street side and the Barksdales would have been a much stronger long term narrative.

The timing was fortunate. When The Wire had it's original run, this was when HBO was a true powerhouse and had a stacked original programming lineup. They could afford to carry a show that was a critical darling but wasn't a ratings monster. If it came out today, I don't think it would have fared so well as S2 would have been enough of a quality drop to get it cancelled.

S1 becomes infinitely better after rewatching it after seeing S3 and S4. There are many payoffs later to S1 in future seasons.

The integral difference IMHO was Dennis Lehane ( wrote Mystic River) joined the writing staff in S3 and S4. His overall general tone is evident in those seasons.

Something to note is that Michael B Jordan, Idris Elba, Lance Reddick, Chad Coleman, Michael K Williams (RIP) and Pablo Schreiber would not have their expansive American acting careers without this show.

Larry Gilliard Jr. ( D'Angelo) has the most interesting path. He was in a small but critically acclaimed film, Straight Out Of Brooklyn, by one time wonder Matty Rich. That got him enough buzz to carve out a real acting career. This was before widespread internet and social media buzz. Also this fits the timeline when these kind of movies were given a chance ( independents and stories like Boyz In The Hood). Even PBS was willing to air it , a massive diversion from their themed programming at the time, because it was clear that the major networks would not. Everything in life is timing.

There is about a million ways the actors that sprung from The Wire could have ended up as truck drivers. ( Elba would likely have stayed in BBC shows and been a male model and Schreiber could have leaned on his more successful acting brother Liev, but the rest would have had a rough go of it)

Weird, I love season two and thought the docks stuff was great. The only part of the show I ever thought was kinda weak was the somewhat goofy 'fake serial killer' plot of season five.

Back