The Wire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I just watched the entire series. We loved it but it ranks behing Breaking Bad.

Great characters and really gritty story. Loved Omar, Chris and Snoop, Dukie. I will echo the previous poster: if you haven't seen it, SEE IT.

1 breaking bad, 2 the wire, 3 boardwalk empire, 4 mad men

All outstanding shows but I like some shoot em up every now again which is why I put MM last.

the wire ruined tv for me........nothing will ever reach its heights

omar-indeed.jpg

I just finished all five seasons, and I'm amazed by the sheer depth of it all. It was an amazing show, but, at the same time, one of the saddest, too. McNulty and Freamon's plot in the finale had me laughing at the absurdity of it, while cringing at the fact that the system had handicapped them so much that it was a necessity, but, honestly, I don't even know where to begin. With Breaking Bad, it was the saga of Walter White, The Sopranos told the tale of Tony Soprano, but this show encompasses an entire city. Politics, law enforcement, schools, unions, the media; the streets; it's crazy to me when I think of just how much content was packed into this program, and how they were able to contain it in a manner that was not only coherent, but also compelling.

One of the things that gets me, though, is thinking about Simon's past as a reporter and Ed Burns' experience in the Baltimore Police Department. I know that, ultimately, it's fiction, but when I think of all of the bureaucracy and red tape, I can't help but wonder if, perhaps, they aren't drawing from personal experiences, in some of those instances. It's remarkable just how often the officers trying to make arrests were arrested by their higher ups and their policies, and how, ultimately, the city suffered for it. The fact that it can take so many characters and give each of them such depth; I really can't think of anything else like it.

The characters were incredible, as well, and, again, there were so many of them. McNulty, Omar, Bubs; it would take multiple posts just to talk about what you loved about the characters, and Baltimore was a constantly evolving landscape. The kids from Season 4 were incredible.

Last edited:
Back