The Wire

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished the first season. While it was well told and well acted I can't imagine wanting to watch it again, unlike other cop series such as Longmire and Bosch which I watched twice. Also watched the Jesse Stone series of movies twice.

I think the reason is that The Wire is a more of an ensemble show lacking a central, charismatic character. It also lacks variety and feels claustrophobic so far. Even the team's office is buried in a basement.

Still want to keep watching it though, to get through every episode once.

Jimmy McNulty isn't charismatic?
mcnulty-thewire.gif

Deadwood lost me in the final season ... worse than GoT ever did. Suddenly everybody was totally fine with coldblooded murder.

To be honest I don't remember much of the last season or the movie for that matter, but honestly with the caliber of performances they could be doing their taxes on screen and it would still be phenomenal.

I finished the first season. While it was well told and well acted I can't imagine wanting to watch it again, unlike other cop series such as Longmire and Bosch which I watched twice. Also watched the Jesse Stone series of movies twice.

I think the reason is that The Wire is a more of an ensemble show lacking a central, charismatic character. It also lacks variety and feels claustrophobic so far. Even the team's office is buried in a basement.

Still want to keep watching it though, to get through every episode once.

One of the major problems for The Wire in terms of the rank and file detectives arc is that David Simon essentially emptied his clip with Homicide Life On The Streets.

HLOTS was on NBC, shuffled to Friday nights, and was basically left alone. This was when NBC had a juggernaut lineup and the show was consistently loved by writers, directors and producers in Tinsel Town. HLOTS did things that no show at the time was willing to do. It was built upon an ensemble than a true singular lead. There were lots of montages and contemporary music. The cast was considered patently unattractive to Hollywood standards. Many social issues it covered were subjects other shows refused to discuss. Sometimes they would take the perspective of the victims or the villains. By the end of 3rd season, Simon had run out of material from his book, and NBC executives started making demands to make the show more marketable.

I believe this is why The Wire's detective arcs are so generally weak. Simon picked less talented actors and had nothing left to say as all the material from his book was already used up. It's almost like he had a grudge against good character development for his Wire cops because he wanted to middle finger NBC long after it mattered. Something to note is actual police work is insanely boring. The more hyper realistic you make law enforcement on screen, it's difficult to make day to day grind all that compelling.

HLOTS is a fantastic show. The last few season got weaker, but it's worth a watch. If you consider the era in which it was made, it really was ground breaking.

The Wire breaks through in S3 and S4 because it's less David Simon and more Ed Burns ( a former public school teacher and detective, he's not the more famous Ed Burns) The big thing that encapsulates Burns perspective is the endless devastating impact of bureaucracy. Buried within institutions is the silent killer of communities and the human spirit. The show shifts further away from the detectives and more towards stable ground with better actors.

David Simon has always claimed The Wire was a type of "tele-novel", I think that's a load of ********. It was a HBO version of a police procedural that failed at being a police procedural. Then it shifted into more of a sweeping exploration of how a large city soaking in poverty and corruption operates.

The critical buzz The Wire gets today routinely ignores how so many people wanted it cancelled after S2.

If you don't feel invested in HLOTS as a whole series, look for specific episodes - Three Men And Adena, The Gas Man, Crosetti, Subway, Lines Of Fire, Bop Gun and Every Mother's Son.

Love the Wire. One of my top 5 favorites, for sure. It's one of the closest things I've seen to a novel represented as a TV show. But the way it defies expectations of television is also one of the major criticisms you could levy against it like the comment above about there not being a single, major character everything revolves around. Asta, being such a big fan of Bosch, you might want to check out the latter seasons of the wire for Jamie Hector's role as Marlo.

This show is fantastic, but it'll always be second place when against Deadwood imo.
Deadwood was great until it all went pear shaped. So many tantalising arcs coming to a head towards the end of S3 and then nuthin’…. The movie couldn’t make up for it. One of the great bummers of serial TV history for me, even more disappointing than Game of Thrones. Part of what The Wire did really well was wrap things up in a satisfying way.

Weird, I love season two and thought the docks stuff was great. The only part of the show I ever thought was kinda weak was the somewhat goofy 'fake serial killer' plot of season five.

I think the hard thing with the docks in S2 and the newspaper angle in S5is that the school stuff and the four kids arc is something that everyone can relate to on some level. But the issue with the unions and journalists was too far away from viewers. It just came off as David Simon using his platform to grind some personal axes to many.

^ "Every Mother's Son" was aired in 1995, so nearly 30 years ago. The episode spent time taking the perspective of two mothers. Both don't know yet, that one is the mother of a son that murdered the other's son. You can see how much they relate. It's actually pretty devastating.

Shows never cover this position, they didn't do it back then, they actually don't really do it now.

HLOTS is considered the spiritual predecessor of The Wire.

Some viewers back then felt The Wire was too polished. It washed out much of the grittiness of the kind of Baltimore that HLOTS was able to show.

This is the funniest episode so far.

Did the writers lighten up from this point on? Characters seem to be hitting their stride. It began in the previous episode with Laurel and Hardy and their tennis ball surveillance. :lol

Continuing the comedy theme it just dawned on me who The Greek was reminding me of.

It's Grandad from Only Fools and Horses!

Grandad2.jpg

I've reached the fifth season. It's been good, but not great. Nothing really special leaps out.

In fact I'll be glad when I've got to the end of the series as it's becoming a bit of a bore. It's more politics than police work, and not a lot of scenery. I think spotted an alleyway that Dan Bell went down during his last Saturday night drive (there's a generator behind a wire fence in the back yard of one of the empty houses now, indicating that someone's squatting there), but the notorious Leakin Park has barely had a look in.

I now realise what this meant:

The only part of the show I ever thought was kinda weak was the somewhat goofy 'fake serial killer' plot of season five.

McNulty jumping the shark to fabricate a serial killer has really killed my interest.

I still think what this series lacked is a strong, charismatic central character. Dominic West barely appeared in season four because he wanted to spend more time at home in the UK.

The main characters all have their moments, but overall it's sprawling rather than focussed like the type of shows with a character's name in the title, e.g., Bosch, Longmire, etc.

After I get to the end of The Wire I have all of Ray Donovan lined up. That's 74 hours' worth, but it does have a character's name in the title. :lol

As an aside, I was curious about Snoop (or Felicia 'Snoop' Pearson as IMDB lists the character).

The actress, Felicia Pearson, was playing close to home.

Born: May 18, 1980 in Baltimore, Maryland, USA

Trivia (4)​

Launching a recording career under the name Snoop From The Wire. [2007]

Pled guilty to drug charges stemming from her arrest during a DEA raid on her house. She was sentenced to a seven year suspended jail sentence with three years supervised probation; she had spent 30 days in jail. [August 2011]

She was born prematurely on May 18, 1980 and she weighed only three pounds; she was so small that she had to be fed with an eyedropper. Her parents, now dead, were both addicts, and she was born cross-eyed. She was placed in a foster home as an infant and later adopted by her foster parents.

On April 27, 1995 when she was 14, she got into a fight with a 15-year-old stranger named Okia "Kia" Toomer. She pulled out a gun and shot him twice, according to court records. He died two hours later on the operating table at Johns Hopkins Hospital. She was tried as an adult, convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to eight years in the Correctional Institute for Women in Jessup, Maryland. She earned her G.E.D. while still in prison, and was released in 2000 after serving five years of her sentence.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1787519/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

I watched the first season way back when and enjoyed it ok.. I could not get into season 2 and gave up. I thought about getting into it but heard about some spoilers that seemed stupid for a show like this.

I am a much bigger fan of The Shield. Not as realistic as The Wire but far better IMO.

Back