To kitbash/customize, or simply buy it from someone else?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, there are a couple of Bub heads out there. I have one that isn't bad. But it isn't exactly great, either, so I never bothered doing anything with it. Rest of him shouldn't be all that difficult to bash.

The difference:

Paul Simon = Great songwriter.
Harry Nilsson = Great song writer.
Willie Nelson = Great song writer.

Sure they interpreted standards with a strong sense of identity, but they were creators as well. Whether someone's art is derivative isn't relevant because everything is a derivative of something else, regardless.

Cecilia Bartoli is one of the greatest singers alive. Her interpretations of obscure works are without peer. That doesn't make her a great composer. :lol So I am not sure what you're trying to say. A musician can be a great artist and contribute in a meaningful and original way to a composers oeuvre. That doesn't not make them a composer.

Basher/modifier is certainly an artist. You guys are acting like my definition is choppiong off their ***** or something. :lol

I just don't believe a basher/modifier is in the same category as a true customizer (ie one who sculpts their own sculpts - from scratch. Sews their own clothes - from scratch).

Anyhow words are just words. I'm just giving my POV.

*tips hat*

:rip

Modifier or customizer. It's all the same to me.
An artist in an artist whether he creates everything or assemble and modify things or whatever.

You can put as much visions or work if you create something with existing modifed parts than doin everything by yourself.

What's the point of comparing or making distinctions.

I don't know of one single persons who do everything and do it perfectly.

You can put as much visions or work if you create something with existing modifed parts than doin everything by yourself.

What's the point of comparing or making distinctions.

I am pretty much done with this particular shade of discussion, but since you asked for my option, I will try to provide it.

You are 100% correct. A modifier can put as much of their artistic vision to create something using existing parts (modified or not). But it's a different skill set from the artist who sits down with raw materials and creates their vision. I am not belittling the modifier or putting them down I am just attempting to express things as they are in reality.

The point in making this distinction is so the lines of respect owed to various people don't get blurred. It's an important distinction because if you don't make that distinction you get a watered down version of reality where a modifier is glorified as the sole creator of something when in fact their contribution to a piece may only be 15-35% and the person whose skillset made the piece a reality in the first place is neglected.

Again, I don't believe this is splitting hairs. I do believe it's an important distinction to make (or else why even bother posting, right?).

I don't know of one single persons who do everything and do it perfectly.

Excuse me???.....
320577343.gif

:rotfl

Good thread - enjoyable read.

Do I love to kitbash? Absolutely! If I can do the work myself, you're darn right I will. Half the fun is hunting down pre-existing clothes/accessories, then modifying them to make them more accurate. Personally I feel this is all part of the fun of collecting (especially 1/6).

:goodpost: Totally agree. The best thing about this hobby for me is the hunt - putting the puzzle together and building the best figure you can. The fact that it takes months, even years, just makes it more personal and satisfying. I'm working on a figure right now that's a perfect example: Once I found the sculpt, I sourced the rest of the parts from varied places over months and months. Some parts needed repainting, others sanded down and modified. As I close in on finishing the project, I can look at it and the sum of it's parts and really appreciate the journey.

I think over the years a different set of collectors came aboard because of how popular HT became with their movie licensed figs. These collectors might be younger than the average collector, hence their negative vibes. This could be the reason why this forum has it share of douchebags compare to other forums like Men with Dolls and One-sixth Warriors.

I was one of the collectors who were brought here by way of the Dark Knight craze. In an attempt to find the best TDK memorabilia I became enamoured with 1:6. That being said, I'm closing in on 40 and have some perspective. The sense of entitlement that seems to infect some of the younger, newer collectors bothers me as much as anyone. I'm a member at OSW as well, but I still hang around here more often.

Seb’s in a league of his own:bow:bow:bow

:lecture An institution around here.

30 years from now will not matter. Our figs will be small pools of oil and fabric, lol

I hope they last, but I do often think of this scenario when considering how much time and money spent on all this.....:panic::lol again, everything in perspective.

I'm a member at OSW as well, but I still hang around here more often.
This forum is more explicitly focused on geek stuff--movies, comics, videogames, etc. OSW is more focused on military stuff. Obviously, there is cross-over and overlap, but putting aside forum mood and membership, it makes sense that folks more into the geek aspects of collecting would spend more time here.

Yeah, I like the vibe over at OSW... but it's very heavily military based so I don't spend much time over there. Still I do enjoy peaking in every now and again to see what's happening over there.

But it's a moot point anyway, because the interest just isn't there. The "business model" of the current custom world, and legit 1/6 world (Hot Toys) is to give folks stuff that is hot right now. Future collectibility be damned.

If that were the case figures like Willy Wonka, The Dude, Doc Holiday, Bill the Butcher, etc., would've sat unbought.

Too bad the Amok Time one never happened... the proto looked pretty damn good and I imagine with a bit of TLC could have been stellar. But it was just another doomed project :lol

Yup, it's really a shame nobody else has picked up the license. If they could get an "of the Dead" line going, there's enough potential to keep it lasting. Last time I checked, the Cemetery Zombie was fetching a respectable price on the secondary market.

Let me say this. To say that what one person does it "true" art is, in my opinion, not accurate.

It's art. Creation. Whether it be from nothing or from already exisiting material, the artist is still creating something. The skill and gift is to be able to look at something and see it's possibilities.

Guys like Seb can see a plain shirt and turn it into something else completely by changing the color and altering the shape. He didn't sew the shirt from scratch, but he saw what few others see and he has the gift and skill to make what he sees come to life. That's a gift. A gift that I dare to say very few people have here. Myself included.

Through this thread I've felt that many have made kitbashing sound like child's play. Oh so easy. If kitbashing is so simple, why do some people seem to be better at it than others? Because they see what others don't. They have great imaginations. They have the skill and gift to find just the right pieces, put them together, and make others say "Damn! That is awesome!"

I don't think that those who buy from others don't kitbash or customize themselves. I think they see and appreciate the skill and gift that others have. Skills and gifts that either they have not yet achieved, or to be honest, may never achieve.

Artists like Elvis1976 and Serang, to name a few, are artists in the true sense of the word. They create.

That's it. Unless someone calls me out, I've said my peace. :wave

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is a difference between picking parts that none has thought of like someone fabricating a 1:1 item to make a movie accurate 1:6 weapon and someone using parts from existing toys and shoehorning it without any major repaints or mods to their bash..

Last edited:
Beto's wife does the tailoring. ;)

Haha keep it in the family, like it.
Reminds me of the time I asked my missus to redo my freddy sweater.
Take arms of unpick turn inside out and resew.
She done one arm in a night......badly then it sat there for a month with me nagging her.
More I nagged the less the chances were of getting done untill I just did it myself and my arm was better:)
She didn’t like that:lol
You can take a horse to water I guess.
If she was doing outfits the wait would be year at least.
Would be an exclusive though with a run of 1......maybe:lol

Let me say this. To say that what one person does it "true" art is, in my opinion, not accurate.

It's art. Creation. Whether it be from nothing or from already exisiting material, the artist is still creating something. The skill and gift is to be able to look at something and see it's possibilities.

Guys like Seb can see a plain shirt and turn it into something else completely by changing the color and altering the shape. He didn't sew the shirt from scratch, but he saw what few others see and he has the gift and skill to make what he sees come to life. That's a gift. A gift that I dare to say very few people have here. Myself included.

Through this thread I've felt that many have made kitbashing sound like child's play. Oh so easy. If kitbashing is so simple, why do some people seem to be better at it than others? Because they see what others don't. They have great imaginations. They have the skill and gift to find just the right pieces, put them together, and make others say "Damn! That is awesome!"

I don't think that those who buy from others don't kitbash or customize themselves. I think they see and appreciate the skill and gift that others have. Skills and gifts that either they have not yet achieved, or to be honest, may never achieve.

Artists like Elvis1976 and Serang, to name a few, are artists in the true sense of the word. They create.

That's it. Unless someone calls me out, I've said my peace. :wave

Get ready to delete your post and replace it with your "nevermind" pic. :lol

You are inferring that I said seb isn't an artist. I never said any such thing. I only pointed out that what seb does (as an artist) is a different skill set from someone like, say, Trevor Grove or Kato.

I'll quote my response to seb:

You are 100% correct. A modifier can put as much of their artistic vision to create something using existing parts (modified or not). But it's a different skill set from the artist who sits down with raw materials and creates their vision. I am not belittling the modifier or putting them down I am just attempting to express things as they are in reality.

I hope this clarifies things.

I think there is a difference between picking parts that none has thought of like someone fabricating a 1:1 item to make a movie accurate 1:6 weapon and someone using parts from existing toys and shoehorning it without any major repaints or mods to their bash..

Absolutely. There's also an issue I've noticed where some artists will take 100% of the credit for a piece, "graciously" thanking posters for their complements without giving deserved credit to the sculptors, tailors, etc., without whom, the custom pieces wouldn't be possible.

Pixletwin, please forgive me, but I think you're under the impression that this conversation is between you and everyone else. I'm not inferring that you said anything.

Granted, you are the one who has become the self-appointed voice of this thread.

I think the reason this conversation, like may others, will not go anywhere is that no one is really listening to the other person.

Everyone has their own opinion about it... LIKE ART!

true-art-means-if-it-helps-you-to-become.jpg

Pixletwin, please forgive me, but I think you're under the impression that this conversation is between you and everyone else. I'm not inferring that you said anything.

Sooooo you're countering a point which no one (self appointed voice box or otherwise) has made. Good job Eric. :lol

Sooooo you're countering a point which no one (self appointed voice box or otherwise) has made. Good job Eric. :lol

I've been reading this thread silently for a couple of days (and my lips hardly moved either) but I seriously think you are picking nits. Kitbasher. Customizer. Who cares what it is called. I do think you are missing the point of the term kitbasher as I understand and has been graciously explained to you several times throughout this thread. To kitbash is to slightly modify an existing piece, either by removing or adding pieces, paint, etc. To customize is to completely re-invent or renew something, by adding repurposed or specialized parts.

In your mind someone who redoes his 67 Camaro by scouring junkyards and specialty auto shops for vintage and performance parts must be a carbasher instead of a customizer because he doesn't make his own rims and fuel injectors.

For all of your defending of your view of the term kitbash versus customize, I think you are the one who is not using them correctly.

In answer to the original question-I generally prefer to custombash my own figures using a mix of existing parts and handmade crap.

Now I need to go shower before Marvel's Agents of Shield comes on.

I've been reading this thread silently for a couple of days (and my lips hardly moved either) but I seriously think you are picking nits. Kitbasher. Customizer. Who cares what it is called. I do think you are missing the point of the term kitbasher as I understand and has been graciously explained to you several times throughout this thread. To kitbash is to slightly modify an existing piece, either by removing or adding pieces, paint, etc. To customize is to completely re-invent or renew something, by adding repurposed or specialized parts.

In your mind someone who redoes his 67 Camaro by scouring junkyards and specialty auto shops for vintage and performance parts must be a carbasher instead of a customizer because he doesn't make his own rims and fuel injectors.

For all of your defending of your view of the term kitbash versus customize, I think you are the one who is not using them correctly.

In answer to the original question-I generally prefer to custombash my own figures using a mix of existing parts and handmade crap.

Now I need to go shower before Marvel's Agents of Shield comes on.

Wrong. If I buy dozens of different parts on ebay and assemble a figure, that's kitbashing. If I change outfits to make HT's Hawkeye a plainclothed version using a Hommes suit, that's kitbashing (though to a lesser extreme). Tossing some paint on and altering it from a "stock" state is a level above "kitbashing," but is in no way comparable to someone who sculpts a head from a wad of clay or wax, or hand sews a shirt/pants from a piece of fabric. Using your own analogy, just because someone paints a car or swaps out the stock wheels for a set of mag tires, and lowers the car, that doesn't suddenly make them a car manufacturer. That's Pixy's point.

Back