To kitbash/customize, or simply buy it from someone else?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Breaking Bad, I think there is a chance some of those figures will remain valuable and popular because of the nature of the show. I think Breaking Bad is on the level of the Sopranos or the Wire--a really rich and substantive show with more staying power than most others. It really is like a great film, expanded out several seasons. I do also realize however that despite this, it is victim to the fad mentality, so the customs are being overproduced, even if I think they will still be more popular than, say, Walking Dead, 5 years from now. Someone posted in one of Iminime's threads that Shane from Walking Dead wasn't worth making because he was no longer part of the show--only appearing in the first two seasons. This was said when season 3 had just started. That's not a long-term perspective on collecting, IMO.

Regarding Breaking Bad, I think there is a chance some of those figures will remain valuable and popular because of the nature of the show. I think Breaking Bad is on the level of the Sopranos or the Wire--a really rich and substantive show with more staying power than most others. It really is like a great film, expanded out several seasons. I do also realize however that despite this, it is victim to the fad mentality, so the customs are being overproduced, even if I think they will still be more popular than, say, Walking Dead, 5 years from now. Someone posted in one of Iminime's threads that Shane from Walking Dead wasn't worth making because he was no longer part of the show--only appearing in the first two seasons. This was said when season 3 had just started. That's not a long-term perspective on collecting, IMO.

The World Box nude with Bernthal's head is gone (unless you want to drop ridiculous coin at Black Ops), so clearly, people thought otherwise. :lol

You can't go wrong with the classics, rocky, star wars, superman, ghostbusters,bttf, etc.

Take the dude for example.
Not a big hit, but has a following that love it.
That figure or variations on it will always be sought after.
If people are buying as an investment than its always a gamble.

Heard it said before on here and its true.
Buy what you love, not just because everyones on it, or its the flavour of the month.
Make your collection unique not a carbon copy of someone else.

I havn't watched breaking bad but like the sound of it.
Would I want a figure/figures from it?
Probably not, unless it is excellent and has an instant connection to me.
Thats how I collect anyway.
I saw how many walking dead figures there were being made and thought I'd watch it.
Wasn't overwhelmed, was an early series I think, maybe its a slow burner, but not for me. Also have a strong dislike for andrew lincoln anyway, so everytime I see another and yet another figure of him, I just skip.

Same with breaking bad.
I want to see fresh new sculpts of characters not already made.
Not 100 paintups of the same sculpt no matter how good it is, or what it is.:sleep
There are plenty of artists on here I respect and some cool people making and creating new and interesting stuff.
Thats whats it about and keeps me addicted.
Saying that I am gunna have to go cold turkey and stop collecting soon or at least slow it down.
Got too many unfinnshed projects that I want done and new ones pop up here all the time:panic:
Think blues brothers will be the last.
Plus money is a big factor.
I spend next to nothing on clothing for myself, but don't think twice about buying a top hat for 13 quid for a figure:cuckoo::lol
I do wonder what the hell I am doing sometimes:slap
But its worth it , makes me smile to think of the finnished figure.

I don't want to even think about the money I've spent over the years as I don't think myself materialistic or like to spend alot or have a lot to spend.
I mean, it is a mad hobby/addiction if you think about it and I don't fully understand it myself.:dunno

I wouldn't say people are buying these things just because others are. People really did love House at one point, and Dexter, and currently Breaking Bad and Walking Dead. I certainly don't think people buy these things so that they will have collections similar to others. But yeah, these things haven't demonstrated that they have staying power, and characters from films just released or shows currently on do tend to get resold more frequently than stuff from time-tested franchises (and this goes for mass produced stuff as well as stuff in the custom world). And I think there is a component of newness and novelty that feeds into the mindset when folks want those things. Nothing against it. People can collect for whatever reasons they choose to. But it does affect the nature of the custom section in some ways. And who knows? Walking Dead could end up being a huge, long-term phenomenon and will generate high levels of interest once the show is over and a new thing pops up on TV. But I'm skeptical.

:goodpost::exactly:

But DJ can be better than composer, because DJ with good hearing and sense can use original music in way, which nobody else will use it and then he will become unique!

Yet, without original music to sample, the DJ has nothing. And let's be honest here. Club garbage is a fad and simply won't have the longevity of the original compositions. Look how many times it's changed in the past few decades, yet works from Bach, Beethoven and the other greats remains unscathed. So I'm not entirely sure your metaphor works very well.

Very true.

Thirty years from now, "When I was a boy, I used to watch this program called 'The Walking Dead' "..."Shut up old man!"

It is hard to determine if Breaking Bad 1/6 will be worth something years from now regardless of how popular the show is right now. TV shows are different than movies when it comes to being a fab or not.; the latter can last for decades whereas the former only last as long as the series is still being made gardless of how popular it is. I think that if a tv show is a classic like Star Trek and Doctor Who, it won't fall in the "flavor of the month" category since both franchises are still being produced - both reached the classics level that movies usually reach.

You can't go wrong with the classics, rocky, star wars, superman, ghostbusters,bttf, etc.

Take the dude for example.
Not a big hit, but has a following that love it.
That figure or variations on it will always be sought after.
If people are buying as an investment than its always a gamble.

Heard it said before on here and its true.
Buy what you love, not just because everyones on it, or its the flavour of the month.
Make your collection unique not a carbon copy of someone else.

I havn't watched breaking bad but like the sound of it.
Would I want a figure/figures from it?
Probably not, unless it is excellent and has an instant connection to me.
Thats how I collect anyway.
I saw how many walking dead figures there were being made and thought I'd watch it.
Wasn't overwhelmed, was an early series I think, maybe its a slow burner, but not for me. Also have a strong dislike for andrew lincoln anyway, so everytime I see another and yet another figure of him, I just skip.

Same with breaking bad.
I want to see fresh new sculpts of characters not already made.
Not 100 paintups of the same sculpt no matter how good it is, or what it is.:sleep
There are plenty of artists on here I respect and some cool people making and creating new and interesting stuff.
Thats whats it about and keeps me addicted.
Saying that I am gunna have to go cold turkey and stop collecting soon or at least slow it down.
Got too many unfinnshed projects that I want done and new ones pop up here all the time:panic:
Think blues brothers will be the last.
Plus money is a big factor.
I spend next to nothing on clothing for myself, but don't think twice about buying a top hat for 13 quid for a figure:cuckoo::lol
I do wonder what the hell I am doing sometimes:slap
But its worth it , makes me smile to think of the finnished figure.

I don't want to even think about the money I've spent over the years as I don't think myself materialistic or like to spend alot or have a lot to spend.
I mean, it is a mad hobby/addiction if you think about it and I don't fully understand it myself.:dunno

As said above, I think movies in general can last while tv show 1/6 figs can't and become fans. Not sure why, though it is probably because a movie is only 2 hours and a show is a few years so the former becomes memorable over the years.

I still love a lot of what guys like Denny and Rainman do, but I'm about at the point where I'll just pay attention to developments, buy, and not interact much beyond that. And as with Hot Toys threads, most of the conflict stems from feelings of entitlement one way or the other. . .

Yeah, anymore I look for info on when something will be up for order, get an order if I can and then wait until the figure is in hand to get involved. All the dumb back and forth and pissing contests over collectibles is just ridiculous and a waste of my time an energy.

30 years from now will not matter. Our figs will be small pools of oil and fabric, lol

A wise perspective :lecture

Walking Dead is still growing stong, so i think well see figs of the characters for a while as long as the show is popular. I think Breaking Bad figs will go the route of House and Dexter once the show comes to an end. Remember how many House figs where out there?, and today? Its like they never existed. And in the case of Dexter, the shows loss of popularity led to less and less customs.

Walking Dead is still growing stong, so i think well see figs of the characters for a while as long as the show is popular. I think Breaking Bad figs will go the route of House and Dexter once the show comes to an end. Remember how many House figs where out there?, and today? Its like they never existed. And in the case of Dexter, the shows loss of popularity led to less and less customs.
One thing I think is a shame is that the popularity of Walking Dead hasn't really translated into more interest in the Romero classics that all this came from. No custom artist is getting hassled to do Ben or the little girl zombie from Night of the Living Dead, or zombie Flyboy from Dawn, or Bub from Day.

I wouldn't say people are buying these things just because others are. People really did love House at one point, and Dexter, and currently Breaking Bad and Walking Dead. I certainly don't think people buy these things so that they will have collections similar to others. But yeah, these things haven't demonstrated that they have staying power, and characters from films just released or shows currently on do tend to get resold more frequently than stuff from time-tested franchises (and this goes for mass produced stuff as well as stuff in the custom world). And I think there is a component of newness and novelty that feeds into the mindset when folks want those things. Nothing against it. People can collect for whatever reasons they choose to. But it does affect the nature of the custom section in some ways. And who knows? Walking Dead could end up being a huge, long-term phenomenon and will generate high levels of interest once the show is over and a new thing pops up on TV. But I'm skeptical.

When the house figures were about I was looking at them thinking "I need that" because it was hyped so much.
Then I had to say to myself this guy is rubbish, he ain't even american and the accent is naff.
I don't like the show, why do I want it?:lol
I remember hugh laurie in black adder as mad prince george, now that would be a figure I'd own:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QAiz2DQgY

One thing I think is a shame is that the popularity of Walking Dead hasn't really translated into more interest in the Romero classics that all this came from. No custom artist is getting hassled to do Ben or the little girl zombie from Night of the Living Dead, or zombie Flyboy from Dawn, or Bub from Day.

VERY true! and its odd because there is MASS zombie popularity right now. Books, movies, film,etc..

Back