To kitbash/customize, or simply buy it from someone else?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the house figures were about I was looking at them thinking "I need that" because it was hyped so much.
Then I had to say to myself this guy is rubbish, he ain't even american and the accent is naff.
I don't like the show, why do I want it?:lol
I remember hugh laurie in black adder as mad prince george, now that would be a figure I'd own:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QAiz2DQgY

What happened with Dexter figs is kinda what happened with House customs. The show got very popular and you began to see mass customs, but then the last few seasons began to wane and you began to see less and less figs. When the show ended. Bam no more figs.

As said above, I think movies in general can last while tv show 1/6 figs can't and become fans. Not sure why, though it is probably because a movie is only 2 hours and a show is a few years so the former becomes memorable over the years.

If that was the case then the series spanning tens of hours would be more memorable?
I think its more because the classics are just that and what we grew up to. They are imprinted in our minds and are part of popular culture.

Just don't think the quality of films and tv is as good or maybe they need time to become classics.

The dj mixing analogy is a good one:)
Like stetsasonic said "tell the truth james brown was old till eric b and rah came out with I got soul"

Not sure I agree with people like elvis being a dj, but he does like to mix it up and keep it fr.. fr... fresh:cool:

Exactly kind of like Rainmans Dexter.. where did they all go? No one has these in their collections anymore. I'm guessing everyone threw away RMs sculpt when Trevors was released?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

One thing I think is a shame is that the popularity of Walking Dead hasn't really translated into more interest in the Romero classics that all this came from. No custom artist is getting hassled to do Ben or the little girl zombie from Night of the Living Dead, or zombie Flyboy from Dawn, or Bub from Day.

Romero pretty much ran his own fans off with Survival of the Dead. The OG NotLD already had a few figures released, including the Cemetery Zombie which were pretty good (though Barbara had QC issues). That said, I still think there is potential for a Bub figure to do well, but not at $700.

Like stetsasonic said "tell the truth james brown was old till eric b and rah came out with I got soul"

Ugh... faith in the human race weakens even further....

Club mixes have the shelf life of disco. Because it's "fresh" doesn't mean it is good. (Please don't apply this aspect of my analogy to seb. I am only talking about MUSIC). :panic: :lol

Club mixes have the shelf life of disco. Because it's "fresh" doesn't mean it is good. (Please don't apply this aspect of my analogy to seb. I am only talking about MUSIC). :panic: :lol

What did you say about Seb?????!!! :mad:

ROSA.jpg

:lol

Yet, without original music to sample, the DJ has nothing. And let's be honest here. Club garbage is a fad and simply won't have the longevity of the original compositions. Look how many times it's changed in the past few decades, yet works from Bach, Beethoven and the other greats remains unscathed. So I'm not entirely sure your metaphor works very well.

:clap:clap:clap:exactly::goodpost:

There is a huge difference between someone who takes a bunch of pieces of something someone else made, does some alteration, and calls it new and someone who sculpts, sews, and paints something on their own from scratch. That may rub a few hides a bit raw, but thus it is.

A DJ can call himself a musician but ultimately they are mixing other people's work. Calling him/herself a musician does not make it so. Though the ignorance of others may play into that perception.

The distinction between DJ and composer is as important an distinction as basher and customizer.

Anyhoo, agree to disagree on this one I suppose. :lecture

Ok I think you need to back off punk you are being far too wordy for me and I don't like it:rotfl

Disco ain't dead either:)
Disco_stu2.jpg

Romero pretty much ran his own fans off with Survival of the Dead. The OG NotLD already had a few figures released, including the Cemetery Zombie which were pretty good (though Barbara had QC issues). That said, I still think there is potential for a Bub figure to do well, but not at $700.
Dawn of the Dead is the last Romero film I recognize, but a guy making crap movies late in his career doesn't taint what he did earlier to me. Look at George Lucas, James Cameron, and Ridley Scott! :monkey3

$700 would be a bit high, but the majority of 1/6 customs in the custom section don't actually run that much. Maybe $400-500. I might pay that for a classic Romero zombie from Iminime for example. Not Walking Dead guys. But it's a moot point anyway, because the interest just isn't there. The "business model" of the current custom world, and legit 1/6 world (Hot Toys) is to give folks stuff that is hot right now. Future collectibility be damned.

Last edited:
The difference:

Paul Simon = Great songwriter.
Harry Nilsson = Great song writer.
Willie Nelson = Great song writer.

Sure they interpreted standards with a strong sense of identity, but they were creators as well. Whether someone's art is derivative isn't relevant because everything is a derivative of something else, regardless.

Cecilia Bartoli is one of the greatest singers alive. Her interpretations of obscure works are without peer. That doesn't make her a great composer. :lol So I am not sure what you're trying to say. A musician can be a great artist and contribute in a meaningful and original way to a composers oeuvre. That doesn't not make them a composer.

Basher/modifier is certainly an artist. You guys are acting like my definition is choppiong off their ***** or something. :lol

I just don't believe a basher/modifier is in the same category as a true customizer (ie one who sculpts their own sculpts - from scratch. Sews their own clothes - from scratch).

Anyhow words are just words. I'm just giving my POV.

*tips hat*

:rip

Very few are sewing their own clothes from scratch as of late it seems. Everything is being outsourced.

I deleted that part of my post a few minutes ago because I realized I didn't want to get involved in that discussion :lol But yeah, it seems like it's all terminology and semantics. If you want to equate "customizer" with "composer," then that's your prerogative. But "kit-basher" isn't how I would describe folks who do fairly extensive mods, since it has a connotation (to me) of not doing more than switching some parts around, and maybe doing some minor painting. If you take my definition, assigning that label to someone who does much more than that could come off as insulting. But you are right, that is not necessarily the case, particularly if you hold the term to refer to anyone that does not create pieces wholly from scratch.

The difference:

Paul Simon = Great songwriter.
Harry Nilsson = Great song writer.
Willie Nelson = Great song writer.

Sure they interpreted standards with a strong sense of identity, but they were creators as well. Whether someone's art is derivative isn't relevant because everything is a derivative of something else, regardless.

Cecilia Bartoli is one of the greatest singers alive. Her interpretations of obscure works are without peer. That doesn't make her a great composer. :lol So I am not sure what you're trying to say. A musician can be a great artist and contribute in a meaningful and original way to a composers oeuvre. That doesn't not make them a composer.

Basher/modifier is certainly an artist. You guys are acting like my definition is choppiong off their ***** or something. :lol

I just don't believe a basher/modifier is in the same category as a true customizer (ie one who sculpts their own sculpts - from scratch. Sews their own clothes - from scratch).

Anyhow words are just words. I'm just giving my POV.

*tips hat*

:rip

you_win.gif

Very few are sewing their own clothes from scratch as of late it seems. Everything is being outsourced.

I mean who can do everything?
Beto the exception.
Not knocking him but the saying jack of all trades master of none comes to mind.
If someone is good in one field and you want and can pay for their work fine.
I havnt got a problem buying a sculpt painted or not or assembling a figure from parts made either by hand or on mass.
If I put it together or add some value by painting assembling or modding then I’m happy.
Not great at painting or modding but fun trying.
I consider myself a basher with benefits:)

Too bad the Amok Time one never happened... the proto looked pretty damn good and I imagine with a bit of TLC could have been stellar. But it was just another doomed project :lol

Back