Trevor Grove's Firefly Sculpts

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes sir! I have had problems in the past hiring casters...it's just not worth it for me. I've thought about hiring someone to do the work, but honestly it's a lot less trouble for me to just do it all myself. It takes time, but I enjoy knowing I'm checking every casting and doing all the patchwork myself.

Trev

Are there any good tutorials around on casting? I've used the ones on Alumalite and smooth-on but still have some issues. I just sculpted a Baron Zemo head to go with my HT Cap and I need to cast it.

When I was learning casting, I had the advantage of getting to talk to my sculptor buddies. When it comes to 1:6 scale heads, molding couldn't be easier, really. It's the other stuff that requires a real skillset to do well.

I make all of my molds as one piece, and I use Smooth-On rubber. The biggest trick to making a good mold, and subsequently, good castings, is pressure. Pressure Pots are essential. I know you can piece together a pressure pot, as I've read about it in this great book, "Pop Sculpture", however, I bought my pot a few years ago. It's a big investment, but a necessary one if you want quality work.

We can talk more about it in private, if you'd like Anzik. It's not too difficult to mold and cast heads!

Trev

Yes sir! I have had problems in the past hiring casters...it's just not worth it for me. I've thought about hiring someone to do the work, but honestly it's a lot less trouble for me to just do it all myself. It takes time, but I enjoy knowing I'm checking every casting and doing all the patchwork myself.

Trev

Every casting I've ever gotten from you has been absolutely perfect :bow I'm really thankful for the pride you take, it would be a shame to dampen the brilliance of your sculpts with shoddy casts.

When I was learning casting, I had the advantage of getting to talk to my sculptor buddies. When it comes to 1:6 scale heads, molding couldn't be easier, really. It's the other stuff that requires a real skillset to do well.

I make all of my molds as one piece, and I use Smooth-On rubber. The biggest trick to making a good mold, and subsequently, good castings, is pressure. Pressure Pots are essential. I know you can piece together a pressure pot, as I've read about it in this great book, "Pop Sculpture", however, I bought my pot a few years ago. It's a big investment, but a necessary one if you want quality work.

We can talk more about it in private, if you'd like Anzik. It's not too difficult to mold and cast heads!

Trev
Thanks my friend I will take you up on that!

Trev is right. I invested in a pressure pot as well when I was doing my Myers heads and it is absolutely necessary for quality castings. I'm not sure I made my money back, but at least I have it. Casting heads in a one peace mold is easy and fun.

"Sometimes you need a Doctor"

Happy New Year everyone! Both of these will be available in a couple of weeks, most likely.

Trev
Simon_Tam.jpg

Summer.jpg

Yay, the Doctor is in! :clap

I've said this before, but huge, huge accomplishment doing all 9 of these guys. You should be really proud of what you accomplished here, Trev. And though he doesn't have the pizazz of some of the other characters, just brilliant work on our good Doc. I can't wait to add him to the rest.

All the best to you, and Happy New Year, buddy!
:duff

oh, and any chance of a hair up, mouth closed Kaylee in 2012? :eek:

check out this 12' long Serenity "miniature". This thing would make a hell of a chassis for a motorcycle.
375517_10151100361710582_158007655581_22140815_930706350_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all!! I'm so happy to have reached this point with the Firefly crew. I thought I'd have Simon done over the summer, but I had to contend with a very taxing project back then. :) You never know what will crop up.

Entropy-Thank you so much! There are very few series' I'd be willing to commit to 9 characters for, but Firefly is worth it. The only bad thing is, now looking back, I just see everything I should have done better....:D

Speaking of which, I'll return to Kaylee...I feel she needs an alternate version, like Inara and River. The ladies are just really tough to fully capture, and there's room for alternates. What I'll likely do is sculpt her with a grin and hair up, and then do a new hair down version using the grin as well. All in good time. :)

That Serenity model is AMAZING. I'd like one hanging from the ceiling, please. :)

I'll let you guys know when these two are ready to go.
Trev

The only bad thing is, now looking back, I just see everything I should have done better....:D

Out of curiosity, looking back, which members of the crew do you think you were most successful at capturing? I have my favs but it's always great to hear an artist's viewpoint.

Speaking of which, I'll return to Kaylee...I feel she needs an alternate version, like Inara and River. The ladies are just really tough to fully capture, and there's room for alternates. What I'll likely do is sculpt her with a grin and hair up, and then do a new hair down version using the grin as well. All in good time. :)

Woot! Yeah, ladies and children can be a bear, all subtleties and roundness, nothing like a Wrinkled Walter White to sink your teeth into. :p

I have a feeling this thread still has a lot more life in it!

Thanks all! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Nathan- Can't wait to see you paint him! (and the others)

Entropy- That's a good question...I think I could improve all of them, to be honest, but my favorites would be Book, Wash and Jayne. The ladies are the toughest to capture, no doubt.

The curse of creative work...the moment you're "done" you look back and just want to start over. :D It's a special kind of insanity, I think.

Trev

Awesome job Trev! Now I have to get all the ones I hadn't gotten yet.

BTW that Serenity miniature is the filming model for the crash scene. They did a good job, but they forgot to put the Serenity logo on the sides (doh!)

Back