WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here, I just want to see the movie as both fanboy and outside observer...

That said I know that my expectations are pretty high, from what I have seen... they have been met.. but we will see.

I won't even make a fully FINAL judgment until I see the extended version on Blu Ray, because I know that the theatrical version is going to be cut much shorter than Zack originally wanted it to be. The full version will be where it's at, where the full scope of what this film could be will be realized.

Even worse was the same tool's "Oh, what Paul Greengrass could have done."

Yeah, how awesome it would have been to see a "WATCHMEN" movie that would've been a lot less like the book (Hayter's original draft SUCKED and that was what Greengrass was gonna film), not about superheroes, but about the war on terror and set in the modern day with lots of 9/11 references! Oh, joy! That would have been super awesome special! :rolleyes:

Do you know where I can read that script? I am oddly curious.:lol

Stupid IMAX. From Glenn at WCM (who saw the movie yesterday):

Hollis Mason's death is cut. You cannot blame Snyder for this. The suits forced him to whittle down the film so it would fit on IMAX projectors.

The first DVD release will be the extended cut. It will have all the scenes Snyder was forced to whittle out put back in. In fact, I don't even think the theatrical cut will be on DVD.

Later, the absolute DVD will be released with the Bernies and Black Freighter (and more) cut in.

But this is brilliant (and funny) from Devin at CHUD:

Eagle eyed moviegoers will realize that Zack DID keep the squid. Just maybe not in the way you might expect.

In the film Adrian Veidt and Dr. Manhattan are working together on a project that will replicate Manhattan's energy, providing free and unlimited power to the world. That project? SQUID, the logo for which is briefly visible.

"I'm glad you caught that," Zack said when I complimented him on getting the squid in the movie. And what does SQUID stand for? "Sub QUantum Intrinsic Device."

:lol :rock

So wait. Is the Imax version going to be shorter than the standard theatrical version? Or do you mean in order to get the film to fit in Imax as well, they had to cut down the film, and thus the standard theatrical version as well?

To me, the theatrical version is going to be the cliff notes version. It gets the job done and you get the basic story. The Extended, super duper, radioative, director's cut edition is going to be the real film. By the way, just how far away from the standard edition DVD is that going to come out? I don't want to wait very long afterwards for that.

So wait. Is the Imax version going to be shorter than the standard theatrical version? Or do you mean in order to get the film to fit in Imax as well, they had to cut down the film, and thus the standard theatrical version as well?

To me, the theatrical version is going to be the cliff notes version. It gets the job done and you get the basic story. The Extended, super duper, radioative, director's cut edition is going to be the real film. By the way, just how far away from the standard edition DVD is that going to come out? I don't want to wait very long afterwards for that.

Yes, WB and Paramount only release one Theatrical cut of a film... so what's on IMAX and other theaters will be the same cut. That's why I said "stupid IMAX".

I believe the initial DVD/Blu-ray release is set for late July, but that's not quite official yet.

The Absolute Edition DVD/Blu-ray will probably be later in the year, or early next.

Ugh I wish that Absolute Edition would come out the day after the film opens :lol That's the version of the flick I wanna see.

Yeah, but look at it this way... we'll only have the truncated Theatrical Version for a few short months, then we'll have the longer Extended Cut and after that, the Absolute Edition for all time. :rock

Plus, this will make the DVD releases that much more exciting.

I'd pay $50 extra for some movies to get the DVD of the movie with your ticket purchase. Not very many movies, but for some like this one I would.

Yeah, but look at it this way... we'll only have the truncated Theatrical Version for a few short months, then we'll have the longer Extended Cut and after that, the Absolute Edition for all time. :rock

Plus, this will make the DVD releases that much more exciting.

Oh yeah! I can't wait for that Absolute Edition, that one is gonna be awesome.

I just hate it, because I know I will buy the Extended Blu Ray, and then the Absolute edition.... And if the release a theatrical before those, I will have to buy that too. This movie is going to be expensive. :lol

I just hate it, because I know I will buy the Extended Blu Ray, and then the Absolute edition.... And if the release a theatrical before those, I will have to buy that too. This movie is going to be expensive. :lol

You're telling me? I just sent Joe $335 today for WATCHMEN stuff. :lol

(And that's only a fraction of it :google )

Oh yeah! I can't wait for that Absolute Edition, that one is gonna be awesome.

What? You guys are just playing... right? RIGHT!?:horror

Are that many DVD/BD releases confirmed over a period of time? Or will they be available at once?

As far as I know, there will be two releases: A release around July with the Extended Cut (about 20 mins longer) and maybe the Theatrical Version as well (on the same disc) and then later this year or early next year, the "Absolute Edition" with about 1 hr more content (including "Black Freighter" cut into the film).

Ah! here ya go:

-The Director's Cut is 3:10 (Approx 30 mins longer than Theatrical Cut)
-The Final Cut (Absolute with the Bernies and Black Freighter) is 3:35
-The Final Cut Edition may be out later in the fall.
-Blu-Ray Edition will have a feature called "The In-Movie Experience" - Something like a Director's Commentary but with what looks like a real-time deconstruction of scenes with picture-in-picture

And I will have all of them proudly. :D

If any retailers offer Manhattan items I'll be going there first....my wife has taken a shine to Rorschach so I might have to get those too. :lol

I wonder what Alan Moore thinks of this. :lol

1WHATMEN-cov_LowRes_sm.jpg

https://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20101

Back