WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Directors Cut....

Mike's post quotes Synder as saying that they "didn't quite go that far." If that's the case, then it's not a matter of just adding in cut footage into a Director's Cut. If it wasn't filmed, it wasn't filmed. And that to me is egregious. To call that particular scene "very indulgent" is an outrage. A ^^^^ing outrage. It gives you an actual glimpse into Rorschach's psyche to see it slowly begin to infect Dr. Long's own mental health like a putrid fever. Without that, it seems like one of the key 12 issues, and my personal favorite, is tainted. It damn well better work at LEAST marginally well and have some emotional impact when translated on film, otherwise it's an epic failure in my mind. The one part of the Watchmen tale I have always found the most compelling ended up on the cutting room floor... staggering. It's not indulgent, it's proper character development. I'd rather know and understand the protagonists and sacrifice some of the glitz of protracted fight scenes.

Well, sometimes things must be cut to ensure the cohesiveness of the film. Just think of it this way, as least it won't be as much of a bastardization as V for Vendetta was. They took out EVERYTHING I cared about in that one. At least with this film, they tried to put as much as they possibly could.

It's not indulgent, it's proper character development. I'd rather know and understand the protagonists and sacrifice some of the glitz of protracted fight scenes.

It will be very easy to destroy the film from this perspective. The paradox is that this is probably still the best Watchmen movie we could have gotten. But we have to sacrifice depth for "cool scenes" like watching Silk Specter fight some guys in prison and when it comes to Rorshach, let's not bore people with some genuinely mature psychological stuff when we could instead focus on some "bad ass" Saw flashbacks. We got better than I expected but let's not lose sight of the fact this is still Zack Snyder directing and not someone better.

It will be very easy to destroy the film from this perspective. The paradox is that this is probably still the best Watchmen movie we could have gotten. But we have to sacrifice depth for "cool scenes" like watching Silk Specter fight some guys in prison and when it comes to Rorshach, let's not bore people with some genuinely mature psychological stuff when we could instead focus on some "bad ass" Saw flashbacks. We got better than I expected but let's not lose sight of the fact this is still Zack Snyder directing and not someone better.

The movie could most definitely have included the Rorschach scene. Slightly longer but still to have included the fight scenes... it could have been done without issue. This saddens me a great deal. The movie will shine less brightly without it. So disappointed.

I know I need to get over it, but it still really bugs me that there will be an assembled group of adventurers called "Watchmen" :monkey2

I don't understand why that would be such a huge deal anyway. I'm currently re-reading the graphic novel, and even though the Crimebusters never really went anywhere, it's clear all six protagonists have worked together at some point and know each other to a degree. Plus, the city sees the adventurers as "Watchmen" so there's no reason the group couldn't borrow and use the name themselves.

The movie could most definitely have included the Rorschach scene.

I was being sarcastic.

I don't understand why that would be such a huge deal anyway.

Because it's a pejorative term intended to highlight the fascist undertones inherent in the police meme. That's why we only ever see it used as a criticism within the story, and why it's the title of a book intended to be the final disparaging word on superhero comics.

I was being sarcastic.

I know. Just emphasizing my inability to comprehend the decision to leave out that particular scene. It's probably not outlandish to say that, for most people, when you read Watchmen, there's a point when you realize you're reading something great. I mean really, truly great, perhaps the paragon of superhero comics.

I loved Watchmen all throughout, but when I hit Chapter VI "The Abyss Gazes Also," on a personal level Watchmen transcended the typical illustrated narrative to set a whole new standard within the industry. Every comic contains "art" in the sense of the pencils, inks, colors, etc.; but those arrestingly superior works that use the writing itself to convey art have taken a page from Alan Moore's Watchmen. That's always been the inherent danger in adapting the GN, that you are always in some way going to be watering down the model for superhero comics today.

I wasn't happy to hear about removing the scene with the Comedian, considering he has minimal scenes the way it is... but to take out the psychoanalysis of Rorschach seems criminally bastardizing.

... I need to stop dwelling on it. I want to still be able to enjoy the movie for what it is.

I loved Watchmen all throughout, but when I hit Chapter VI "The Abyss Gazes Also," on a personal level Watchmen transcended the typical...

I want to still be able to enjoy the movie for what it is.

Judging by the changes and everything I've read, the movie does not have the same transcending qualities. Pity. As much as the film makers may have liked the source material, to have a budget this size, it's financially necessity to dumb down and streamline the narrative for mass consumption.

Variety: "Wavering between seriousness and camp, and absent the cerebral tone that gave weight to some of the book’s headier ideas, the film seems to yield to the very superhero cliches it purports to subvert."

The Hollywood Reporter: "If you're not already invested in these characters because of the original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, nothing this movie does is likely to change that predicament."

Both predict a huge opening weekend before tanking with the general public.

Well the reality is even the most diehard Watchmen fan has admitted that this film may not go over well with the general public. The story itself has so many subtile nuances and reflections on the Comic Book industries and the characters themselves, not to mention that Synder wanted the film to be a commentary on the Superhero movie genre as the comic was a commentary on its industry that it may be lost on a the general movie going public.

just re reading the book, whats ppl read online reffering to the graphic nature of the movie compaired to the book, i mean not talking of the onscreen rape scenes but in terms of graphic violence etc??

The whole movie no but parts were specifically meant to do that like Ozy's nipples being a kin to Batsuit from the 90s.

just re reading the book, whats ppl read online reffering to the graphic nature of the movie compaired to the book, i mean not talking of the onscreen rape scenes but in terms of graphic violence etc??
Very graphic.

Exploding people, broken bones, arms getting cut off, ya know....good stuff.

just re reading the book, whats ppl read online reffering to the graphic nature of the movie compaired to the book

The film is graphic.

The whole movie no but parts were specifically meant to do that like Ozy's nipples being a kin to Batsuit from the 90s.

Yes. But sticking nipples on a suit is not commentary in and of itself. What is the film saying about that? Absolutely nothing.

Back