WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by the changes and everything I've read, the movie does not have the same transcending qualities. Pity. As much as the film makers may have liked the source material, to have a budget this size, it's financially necessity to dumb down and streamline the narrative for mass consumption.

After Snyder fought for an R-rating, and to have his vision left intact? Don't be ridicilous, it is highly unlikely this movie was dumbed down. If anything Snyder tried, got most everything in the right, but in the end failed to grasp what made the novel so special. And if anything that should have been expected for movies NEVER manage to grasp the greatness of the book, but I shall forever remain thankfull for his attempt, because if not for those two trailers I would have not read and loved the book so.

If anything Snyder tried, got most everything in the right, but in the end failed to grasp what made the novel so special.

I don't want to beat this into the ground, because I've met Snyder and like him personally, and I really do think this is the best Watchmen movie we could have hoped for. I'd say he "got" some of it but a whole lot slipped him by. He is after all a director who would rather include an invented fight scene that directly undermines the very characters involved than explore any of the human drama or cerebral explorations included in the book. Nobody ought to be expecting a film that carries the same relationship to cinema as the graphic novel carries to comics. It ain't there.

Look, this is Watchmen as directed by the guy who gave us Dawn of the Dead and 300. It's not Orson Welles or Francis Ford Coppola or even Danny Boyle. If you want a $150 doll of a "bad ass" rapist you'll probably love the movie.

Wait for the directors cut....

And I got the score....I like it so far. I havent heard a real central theme just yet...there might not be one...but I dig it.

After Snyder fought for an R-rating, and to have his vision left intact? Don't be ridicilous, it is highly unlikely this movie was dumbed down.

Snyder's vision is the dumbed down version, well his and Hayter's. Granted it is much, much better and more true to the comic than the earlier Hamm script that floated about, but from all reports it leaves out much of the confusion, ambiguity and complexity of the story in favor of a shorter run time and an attempt at clearer and broader appeal to a mass audience, more action, no squid, the heroes now a team called Watchmen, etc. Such is the nature of risking hundreds of millions of dollars. Hoping to garner as much main stream appeal as possible to recoup those millions, you force the square subversive cult story into the round hole of main stream appeal. The odd fringe bits are bound to be sliced off. But I agree with the notion that this is probably the closest Hollywood could get to the comic.

movies NEVER manage to grasp the greatness of the book

Not true at all. American Psycho, Doctor Zhivago, Blade Runner, The Godfather, Rules of Attraction, Trainspotting, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now, The Maltese Falcon, all come to mind, I'm sure there are many more. But because they are different mediums, they have different strengths. Action scenes, for instance, just work better and are generally more visceral in films than novels. A great script writer and director can find creative ways to "grasp the greatness of the book" and adapt or translate the strengths of one medium into another. Naked Lunch the novel and film are very different, but both work and play to their strengths.

Got my tickets for this Monday :)D YAY), and will try to enjoy it with low expectations so I won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
American Psycho, Doctor Zhivago, Blade Runner, The Godfather, Rules of Attraction, Trainspotting, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now, The Maltese Falcon, all come to mind.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks literary adaptations can't achieve greatness just doesn't know cinema.

Snyder's vision is the dumbed down version, well his and Hayter's. Granted it is much, much better and more true to the comic than the earlier Hamm script that floated about, but from all reports it leaves out much of the confusion, ambiguity and complexity of the story in favor of a shorter run time and an attempt at clearer and broader appeal to a mass audience, more action, no squid, the heroes now a team called Watchmen, etc. Such is the nature of risking hundreds of millions of dollars. Hoping to garner as much main stream appeal as possible to recoup those millions, you force the square subversive cult story into the round hole of main stream appeal. The odd fringe bits are bound to be sliced off. But I agree with the notion that this is probably the closest Hollywood could get to the comic.

Not true at all. American Psycho, Doctor Zhivago, Blade Runner, The Godfather, Rules of Attraction, Trainspotting, Fight Club, Apocalypse Now, The Maltese Falcon, all come to mind, I'm sure there are many more. But because they are different mediums, they have different strengths. Action scenes, for instance, just work better and are generally more visceral in films than novels. A great script writer and director can find creative ways to "grasp the greatness of the book" and adapt or translate the strengths of one medium into another. Naked Lunch the novel and film are very different, but both work and play to their strengths.

Hrmn. True that, didn't consider it from that viewpoint.

Oh well. Hopefully the movie will be a success and Snyder will listen to the complaints, and add a bit more stuff to the director's cut then he was planning on. :)

Why Monday? Are there other screenings that day?

I don't know about anywhere else, but the one I'm going to is a 7:30 advanced screening in Dallas, and the ticket was free. I just found out about it two days ago online; confirmed it in a local paper that said where to get the passes, and picked them up this morning at a restaurant.

I think there are gonna be screenings like this all over, so check around and see if there's anything available in your area.

I am going to a showing tomorrow afternoon on the Navy base I live/work on. Tickets are free so I expect there will be a lot people there.

Woah woah woah woah... woah... woah. Attempted rapist. Let's not go nuts. ;)

Oh he went all the way

Found this funny:
2009-02-24_cc_040.gif

Well....if he actually had sex with her, would pretty much be rape...and starting to have sex, but then getting your ass kicked by a homosexual guy in a purple hood with a noose around his head, would be attempt.

Oh he bonked her later...but on better terms methinks.

Back