What comic are you reading?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started Tales from the Crypt from the EC archives.

I listen to a lot of old radio, so I'm used to the 50s vibe, but man, its different than what's being put out today. I wouldn't call it bone chilling despite it telling me that it is from time to time.

Last edited:
Spent the last 2 years read every available post crisis tpb, HC, omni etc. of Batman, superman, Robin, Nightwing, Flash, WW, MM, YJ, JLI/JLA, GL, Birds of Prey, New Gods and events like Zero Hour, Final Night etc. Also read some classics that I love and/or haven't read in a while or got on Absolute format.

I've read a lot for the first time and got to have my mind blown with some stuff that was way under-hyped or completely under the radar!

I don't really have anyone to discuss these things with so that why I'm here. Hope it's lively. Hello everyone!

I read ALL the Batman books from post-crisis to about 2000 or so. I read some of the Supermans and Green Lanterns. All of the Flash too, I really liked Waid's run (most of it.) I read Zero Hour but it was kind of a mess.

I loved Armageddon 2001 but was mad they changed the identity of Monarch at the last minute.

I read ALL the Batman books from post-crisis to about 2000 or so. I read some of the Supermans and Green Lanterns. All of the Flash too, I really liked Waid's run (most of it.) I read Zero Hour but it was kind of a mess.

I loved Armageddon 2001 but was mad they changed the identity of Monarch at the last minute.
Amazing! I really wanted to read Armageddon 2001 but it was never released in tpb. Flirted with buying the issues but never did. Some of the annuals that tied in were fantastic. Especially the Batman ones! Alan Grant is simply a master!

I feel similar about Zero Hour. Reading it reminds me in a way of read One Million. The omni is fantastic but some of the tie in's are tangential to the main story and distract from the main story - which is only made more complicated by the fact that there were some awesome and relevant ones too.

I think the best way to read Zero Hour is to the main issues (4-1), a select few tie-in's and definitely the Kyle Rayner Rising compendium!

The Flash has to have the most consistently great run of all DC I've read in that time frame! Mark Waid could do no wrong. Underworld Unleashed was great too.

I'm reading through Starman by James Robinson now.

Why'd you stop, if you don't mind me asking?
Who is your favourite character?
Are you reading anything now?

Why'd you stop, if you don't mind me asking?
Who is your favourite character?
Are you reading anything now?

After all those years, it started feeling more like a chore than fun. Buying 7 or 8 Batman books a month out of obligation, even though the stories weren't really going anywhere....I just realized it was time to get off the merry-go-round.

My favorite DC character is Batman, and my favorite Marvel is Wolverine. I know, pretty obvious choices, but hey, they're the best for a reason!

I haven't read any comics from probably the last 15 years or so. The quality just went to ****. Bad writers, even worse artists...all the superstars I grew up on had either died or basically retired. All the guys that did such amazing, meticulous, detailed work in the 70s-90s basically just do covers and conventions sketches now. The only people willing to sit down and do interiors are (for the most part) terrible artists.

I liked Manga a lot too...that is, mange from the 70s and 80s, I don't think I would much enjoy the nonsense that's being published now. But some time around the year 2000, all the American artists started drawing in a faux-manga style that I absolutely hate. (Humberto Ramos, Ed McGuinnes, the late Mike Wieringo) And it just got worse and worse.

Terrible schlock that would have been rejected for coloring books in the 80s is being published with a straight face. Look at this art. No super-hero book should ever look like this.

GWy21LpWQAAUbAC.jpg

Ughghg. The absolute state of comics today.

Just finished the Batman Year One trade, good but too brief.
It really is an awesome story! I'd definitely recommend reading The Monster Men & The Mad Monk (both by Matt Wagner) after it. Also, the Absolute version is amazing. Both versions of the story (original colour palette and modern colouring) read fantastically.

After all those years, it started feeling more like a chore than fun. Buying 7 or 8 Batman books a month out of obligation, even though the stories weren't really going anywhere....I just realized it was time to get off the merry-go-round.

My favorite DC character is Batman, and my favorite Marvel is Wolverine. I know, pretty obvious choices, but hey, they're the best for a reason!

I haven't read any comics from probably the last 15 years or so. The quality just went to ****. Bad writers, even worse artists...all the superstars I grew up on had either died or basically retired. All the guys that did such amazing, meticulous, detailed work in the 70s-90s basically just do covers and conventions sketches now. The only people willing to sit down and do interiors are (for the most part) terrible artists.

I liked Manga a lot too...that is, mange from the 70s and 80s, I don't think I would much enjoy the nonsense that's being published now. But some time around the year 2000, all the American artists started drawing in a faux-manga style that I absolutely hate. (Humberto Ramos, Ed McGuinnes, the late Mike Wieringo) And it just got worse and worse.

Terrible schlock that would have been rejected for coloring books in the 80s is being published with a straight face. Look at this art. No super-hero book should ever look like this.

View attachment 724377

Ughghg. The absolute state of comics today.
What an interesting answer! No way I was expecting this.

As someone who's never read Manga I'm in a different position than you. I recently read the first few issues of Impulse! with art by Ramos and adore his style. Wieringo's work on Flash & Robin are some of my all time favourites, and I'm also a big McGuinness fan.

I've read some stuff from the 70/80's. It's a bit of a mixed bag for me so far. I have LotDK Steve Englehart and its simply fantastic. Some of Cary Bates Flash stuff (Trial, Death of Iris) a little less so. Sure there are some great moments but more often than not the dialogue is dated & too self-explanatory, and the art is pretty basic. I am keeping a keen eye on the Neal Adam's Bats omni. I've never actually read any!

And kudos for being so self-aware and opting out of current comics when it no longer felt worth it. What is/are your main interests now?

What's "Your story" when it comes to comics? Who is your perfect artist?

And kudos for being so self-aware and opting out of current comics when it no longer felt worth it. What is/are your main interests now?

The Englehart/Rogers issues of Detective Comics from the late 70s are essentially perfect Batman comics. That's the standard that all Batman comics have to try to live up to.

I actually got into comics because of figures. My brothers and I had all the Super Powers figures, and at some point in the mid-80s, my dad bought some comics of the characters. He was a big fan of mostly DC stuff from the silver age.

So my brothers and I mostly read DC stuff....Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Justice League.

I read some Marvel but not as much. I always felt like the DC books were more "mature" and the Marvel stuff was for "kiddies." Lord knows I shouldn't have been reading some of that stuff as young as I was! And the 90s got really dark...killing Superman, Hal Jordan going nuts....I loved it though.

I've got wayyy too many artists to list, but my all time favorites are Frank Miller and Katsuhiro Otomo. I started the two threads on them in this section, so please check those out.

I also love Art Adams, Brian Bolland, Bill Sienkewicz, George Perez, Mike Zeck, Joe Quesada....then in the early 90s all those Image guys exploded and I loved all their stuff too....McFarlane, Liefeld, Lee, Larsen, Portacio, Silvestri....one of my favorite artists is another Image guy named Joe Benitez....his stuff is amazing but he never got super popular.

I'm still into comics, but it's basically just reading the old stuff I love, or buying fancy hardcover reprints. Honestly, it's all been so crappy lately.

The last masterpiece of super-hero comics was "Planetary" in my opinion. That was just incredible.

I also really loved Mark Millar's "Ultimates" which is still "fresh" in my mind, but that was like 25 years ago already!

The collector mentality can't be defeated though...I collect action figures, comics, art books, LPs, posters. I'm perpetually living in the 80s-90s.

The Englehart/Rogers issues of Detective Comics from the late 70s are essentially perfect Batman comics. That's the standard that all Batman comics have to try to live up to.

I actually got into comics because of figures. My brothers and I had all the Super Powers figures, and at some point in the mid-80s, my dad bought some comics of the characters. He was a big fan of mostly DC stuff from the silver age.

So my brothers and I mostly read DC stuff....Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, Justice League.

I read some Marvel but not as much. I always felt like the DC books were more "mature" and the Marvel stuff was for "kiddies." Lord knows I shouldn't have been reading some of that stuff as young as I was! And the 90s got really dark...killing Superman, Hal Jordan going nuts....I loved it though.

I've got wayyy too many artists to list, but my all time favorites are Frank Miller and Katsuhiro Otomo. I started the two threads on them in this section, so please check those out.

I also love Art Adams, Brian Bolland, Bill Sienkewicz, George Perez, Mike Zeck, Joe Quesada....then in the early 90s all those Image guys exploded and I loved all their stuff too....McFarlane, Liefeld, Lee, Larsen, Portacio, Silvestri....one of my favorite artists is another Image guy named Joe Benitez....his stuff is amazing but he never got super popular.

I'm still into comics, but it's basically just reading the old stuff I love, or buying fancy hardcover reprints. Honestly, it's all been so crappy lately.

The last masterpiece of super-hero comics was "Planetary" in my opinion. That was just incredible.

I also really loved Mark Millar's "Ultimates" which is still "fresh" in my mind, but that was like 25 years ago already!

The collector mentality can't be defeated though...I collect action figures, comics, art books, LPs, posters. I'm perpetually living in the 80s-90s.
Night of the Stalker is so damn good - and the Darwyn Cooke redo is as well! Did you read the follow-up to dark detective?

It's so natural to go from good figures/statues to the material! I've done it so many times. And at least there's no disappointment when you go vice verse only to discover there is no figure!! What kind of figures do you collect? Any pictures/posts of your collection?

Obviously FM is a legend. I've read a lot (Y1, TDKR, 300, Daredevil...) but tbh I'm a bit wary of reading more. I've always toyed with starting Sin City but I'm a little scared. It seems so dark and pessimistic. What do you think is his masterwork? I'll check your threads

I've seen planetary here and there (Amazon recommendations mostly) but I've never heard much about it. Any videos on YT or friends - nothing. It's really that good? I'll give it a look.

I think the only Adams work I've seen so far is the Superman annual with Batman and the vampires. The other guys are amazing. Have you ever seen the videos on YT (syfy I think) of the likes of Lee, Perez, McFarlane, Liefield etc drawing some of the iconic characters? And they talk through their process. It's amazing! No one can do WW like Perez. His attitude towards even the smallest things in her costume/appearance is perfect. Have you ever seen any of Tony Harris' work?

I think there's going to be growing numbers of us rereading classic comics. I read all the Batman N52 & rebirth up to Failsafe (mostly Snyder, King and Tynion really). They can make enjoyable reading mostly, I don't think they've ever reached the quality of before. I've heard a lot of people describe Court of Owls as one of the best Batman stories ever. I did really enjoy it but it's not there for me. At least not yet. Death of the family never reaches close to death in the family. Superman Unchained is very good but I don't think it fits in THE iconic Supes stories.

I share a lot of your preferences and had similar experiences. Art Adams was my favorite artist for a long time as a kid. The x- men annuals and Longshot mini series being my favorites. But beyond that, Perez, zeck, John byrne, and Alan Davis were and are my favorites. I also got into super powers as a kid as well as secret wars figures which all amplified my love of comics.

Most recently I've also been reading older stuff, primarily by those artists, though I also have been reading 80s xmen with guys like Paul Smith and John Romina, Jr. The last thing I read was an issue of detective comics, as well, from Paul neary and Alan Davis. They had a short run in the mid 80s which is probably my favorite Batman comic run. Each issue pure, iconic goodness.

And planetary is one of the real comic masterpieces out there in my opinion. I need to dig those out and reread them. Brilliant storytelling for the most part that at times was quite disturbing. Maybe the only comic I ever had a nightmare about.

I share a lot of your preferences and had similar experiences. Art Adams was my favorite artist for a long time as a kid. The x- men annuals and Longshot mini series being my favorites. But beyond that, Perez, zeck, John byrne, and Alan Davis were and are my favorites. I also got into super powers as a kid as well as secret wars figures which all amplified my love of comics.

Most recently I've also been reading older stuff, primarily by those artists, though I also have been reading 80s xmen with guys like Paul Smith and John Romina, Jr. The last thing I read was an issue of detective comics, as well, from Paul neary and Alan Davis. They had a short run in the mid 80s which is probably my favorite Batman comic run. Each issue pure, iconic goodness.

And planetary is one of the real comic masterpieces out there in my opinion. I need to dig those out and reread them. Brilliant storytelling for the most part that at times was quite disturbing. Maybe the only comic I ever had a nightmare about.
I've really got to try Planetary!

I have DC's Batman Dark Knight Detective vol. 1-8. The first few have the Davis and Neary and Barr stuff. It's just phenomenal. Especially the early Jason Todd stuff. It's really fun and also quite sad knowing what is to come. As well as that, Barr and Davis have a Batman B&W issue and its stunning as well. Ever read?

I'm making my way through a bit of Byrne too. All DC though. Superman, WW, New Gods etc. His art if so unique and always makes me smile. Anyone get the Byrne inspired Superman statue from #6 of his MoS mini-series?

@James O'Brien I'm not aware of a black and white story they did. Will have to investigate. David also did a one shot associated with year two that is quite good called fear the reaper. And he did the two justice league nail series that are great.

Regarding byrne, I enjoyed his work on Superman, but his best runs in my opinion are with Claremont on xmen and his fantastic four run. Some of the best comics I've ever read.

It really is an awesome story! I'd definitely recommend reading The Monster Men & The Mad Monk (both by Matt Wagner) after it. Also, the Absolute version is amazing. Both versions of the story (original colour palette and modern colouring) read fantastically.
I'll look into it, doesn't appear to have a (affordable) trade available for the Batman Wagner stories I'd hate to start hunting down singles again. I was originally planning on reading either Killing Joke or the Man Who laughs next.

@James O'Brien I'm not aware of a black and white story they did. Will have to investigate. David also did a one shot associated with year two that is quite good called fear the reaper. And he did the two justice league nail series that are great.

Regarding Byrne, I enjoyed his work on Superman, but his best runs in my opinion are with Claremont on xmen and his fantastic four run. Some of the best comics I've ever read.
Speaking of the Claremont & Byrne X-Men books, I recently picked up the Omnibus for their Dark Phoenix Saga at Ollie's for $25, fantastic deal if you can find it!

Regarding byrne, I enjoyed his work on Superman, but his best runs in my opinion are with Claremont on xmen and his fantastic four run. Some of the best comics I've ever read.
I just tracked it down online for you. It's titled "Last Call at McSurleys" and really fits into Barrs & Davis' work from the mid 80's. (Here: https://readallcomics.com/batman-gotham-knights-025/)

I've never read any of Byrne's Marvel stuff but have always heard that his F4 stuff is simply amazing. In DC I think his Wonder Woman run is easily his best work.

I'll look into it, doesn't appear to have a (affordable) trade available for the Batman Wagner stories I'd hate to start hunting down singles again. I was originally planning on reading either Killing Joke or the Man Who laughs next.
Yeah, unfortunately his Legends hardcover book is no longer buyer friendly. If it's any good to you I have a link to read online here: https://readallcomics.com/batman-the-monster-men-1/

Didn't realise how expensive they've gotten.

What you plan to read next are fantastic! Killing Joke is not one of my favourite stories but it is a fantastic read. Same for Man Who Laughs. Is Batman and his world your main interest? Dark Detective is one of the best Joker stories ever. Highly recommend.

I doubt strongly that there will ever be a greater writer of comics than Alan Moore. Beyond the classic swamp thing, miracleman, watchmen, v, killing joke, whatever happened to the man of tomorrow stuff, much of his 90s and 2000s stuff was also great.

Supreme in particular. His take on classic Superman done without the cynicism and darkness of a lot of his stuff from the 80s.

Yeah, unfortunately his Legends hardcover book is no longer buyer friendly. If it's any good to you I have a link to read online here: https://readallcomics.com/batman-the-monster-men-1/

Didn't realise how expensive they've gotten.

What you plan to read next are fantastic! Killing Joke is not one of my favourite stories but it is a fantastic read. Same for Man Who Laughs. Is Batman and his world your main interest? Dark Detective is one of the best Joker stories ever. Highly recommend.
When I was young my dad didn't want me reading comics so the few I could get were GI Joe, Punisher, Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Uncanny X-Men. I mostly couldn't follow the stories completely because of the few singles I'd get. When I could buy comics on my own in the 90's, it was mostly X-Men with all the other X books, Excalibur, Wildstorm books like Wildcats, Robinson's run on Starman, Marvels, Kingdom Come, Green Lantern, Preacher, Watchmen, TDKR, Miller's 300, and the Authority. Just before I quit buying comics because of money and low quality in the aughts, the few I liked were America's Best series, Charest's Wildcats, Ennis' Punisher, The Ultimates, and the X-Men. Recently, I've been just going for well received affordable trades, Green Lantern Rebirth, Ennis' Hellblazer, Miller's Daredevil (I really hope they reprint Miller's Daredevil Vol. 2), Miller's Ronin, Thomas, O'Neil, and Claremont X-Books, and finally, some Batman stories I've been wanting to read.

Last edited:
Back