XM Studios Thanos

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've learned my lesson - never buy custom pieces...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious about your experience. I've bought into a few custom pieces but looked into who made them first. Have received three so far, all wonderful. Have a few more deposits on other upcoming pieces, a couple from Halimaw pieces and actually have been talking to their owner for a while. No concerns from me. But I'm sure bad experiences do happen.

Best ask around in forum of who the customs are from. Safer that's way

I'd imagine if you had to wait and see how a piece would look like there might be some anxiety in customs. But if it's already out and you can see it and just pick it up I don't see the problem.

Haha. If only that SS Mistress Death came separately. I'm asking cause I saw a custom 1/4 Mistress Death and wondering if I should get that or the Bowen one instead.

View attachment 174915View attachment 174916

That Mistress Death looks like someone redid the hands and face sculpt. Looks really nice! I think I may have to do it to mine as well.

Here's a pic of what my Mistress Death originally looks like without the custom hands and face.

Oh and the Bowen version would be way to small to display next to a 1/4 scale Thanos. I have the Bowen version and it looks way out of scale IMO.

fantastic pic!

I have about 40 custom 1/4 scale statues currently. Like everything else, there are good ones and crappy ones. ask around to know who the reputable guys are.

How so? Enlighten me [emoji12]

Sent from my XT910

I don't want to go into details but the biggest issue with customs is they are very hard to sell if you are unhappy with them. I lost more than 50% of the original cost selling the crap.

I don't want to go into details but the biggest issue with customs is they are very hard to sell if you are unhappy with them. I lost more than 50% of the original cost selling the crap.

Well of course. Why would anyone want to buy crap? If a custom job comes out crappy, it's automatically a loss.

Well of course. Why would anyone want to buy crap? If a custom job comes out crappy, it's automatically a loss.

Actually the piece I'm talking about here is considered nice by many people, but I think it's very badly done... And I had a very hard time selling it, this makes me think custom pieces have very little resell value

I've only seen a very few customs that I thought were well done... The majority of them are not worth the price tag to create them. That said, even the worst of them are better then anything I can do.... but your usually talking a min. of $1200+ for a custom 1/4 scale... Just not worth it...

So many statues out now, no really need for customs unless its super super special.

Actually the piece I'm talking about here is considered nice by many people, but I think it's very badly done... And I had a very hard time selling it, this makes me think custom pieces have very little resell value

Which piece are you talking about?

It's a gamble for sure. Some customs go for huge resale money. I've seen the Halimaw Venom go for more than it's retail price or at least it's retail. I have that and love it.

As an aside, I was just showing the Halimaw Thanos and the XM Thanos to my fiance, who is not a collector and right away she said she liked the Halimaw better. I'm not sure about that but seeing the Halimaw makes me angry that XM wouldn't listen to me and include a smirking head sculpt. It totally makes that Halimaw Thanos.

Which piece are you talking about?

It's a gamble for sure. Some customs go for huge resale money. I've seen the Halimaw Venom go for more than it's retail price or at least it's retail. I have that and love it.

As an aside, I was just showing the Halimaw Thanos and the XM Thanos to my fiance, who is not a collector and right away she said she liked the Halimaw better. I'm not sure about that but seeing the Halimaw makes me angry that XM wouldn't listen to me and include a smirking head sculpt. It totally makes that Halimaw Thanos.

Are you talking about the mix media one?

It's not a bad statue but I did notice he has very short legs compared to his torso....

It might look that way to you due to the angle of the pic, Thanos' long shirt, and the fact you can't see his feet that's blocked by some of the base. Well on my pic anyways. To each their own. I love it and think it's awesome!

I have this XM Thanos on PO and I'll be sure to post side by side comparison pics with the other 1/4 Thanos', whenever he gets here that is, lol.

in general i'm not a big fan of halimaw customs.... they tend to make the characters look very chunky.... look at their dr. doom, yuk! but that's just me so no flaming please.

I haven't seen their dr doom. Their older stuff isn't nearly as good as the newer stuff. Their venom, batman vs superman, gladiator hulk and spiderman are all very impressive. I've been talking with their owner since ordering venom and it seems they've gone through some different artists and finally struck on sculptors and painters who do really good work. I'm also noticing a lot is based off having good original concept art and not all concept art is very good.

They are working on a carnage vs scarlet spider vs agent venom "triorama" that will be very interesting.

But I can also see how some of their stuff looks off and wouldn't be appealing. Certainly some of their pieces look wrong to me as well.

I think I am going to get that mixed media Thanos tho. I love the smirk and the fabric. I love his chunkiness and stubby legs actually. And really, let's face it, one can never have too much Thanos in their collection.

Back