1/6 Hot Toys - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - Chewbacca

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have happily traded the moving jaw for a mouth that was the right shape/position. The corners of his mouth are positioned far too high which gives him his cheesy grin instead of the down-turned smile he actually had.
Yeah I'm curious if this head will be as moddable as the previous ones, because that mouth is seriously throwing things off.

Yep. Put the Chewster in an action pose instead of just standing there like a rube.
Personally I would be careful with the action poses when it comes to Chewie. I've seen some crazy poses out there with him in a really wide stance, and it just didn't look like how Mayhew was in the costume. As he usually shuffled around with his legs fairly close together the entire time.

IMG_8330.jpeg

I think it's ridiculous that anyone considers this an "artisan" release... just because there is faux hair on the head?
The reason the actual "artisan" releases are such, is because of the challenges of adding fake hair to a plastic face&head sculpt and making it look good.
Almost the entire head of Chewbacca is fur, with a few plastic bits glued on (nose, etc.).
The previous versions of Chewie were not considered "artisan" figures and were not priced that differently from regular figures either....

I think the other factor that has people calling it a de-facto Artisan is that the hair is wool instead of the synthetic material they used to use, assuming that’s what they used on the old Chewbacca’s were.
It’s kinda like how people were comparing the first batch of figures with rolling eyes to the DX line, since PERS used to be an exclusive feature.

Im pretty sure this is the exact same hair as the original Chewy, maybe slightly better.

Yeah I'm curious if this head will be as moddable as the previous ones, because that mouth is seriously throwing things off.
And it's not just inaccurate in shape - it makes him look seriously goofy.

Chewie so rarely did anything close to smiling (maybe sorta-kinda in "let wookie win" but it's really just a smug tweak to his normal mouth look), so having such a smiley Chewie with mouth open or more closed is an unnerving look.

Hot Toys have made both Chewbacca and RotS Darth Sidious super smiley. Perhaps they think we wouldn’t like them if they had more of a neutral expression.

Well people worked some incredible magic with the dog-faced TFA Chewie, and this doesn't look to me like it would require quite as much work.

But hopefully HT will make some improvements themselves first so we won't have to.

Well people worked some incredible magic with the dog-faced TFA Chewie, and this doesn't look to me like it would require quite as much work.

But hopefully HT will make some improvements themselves first so we won't have to.
I think I was okay tearing up the face of a $200 figure (what I paid for a couple of my ANH Chewies on ebay) but doing that on a roughly $475 (with tax/ship) figure is a little more unnerving. :lol

Unless the pivot is right in the corner of the mouth, which will be hard to look nice at this scale, that won't work. I don't think this jaw pivots, it's a pull down mechanism that makes the corners of the mouth open up.

Once again it's an accuracy vs articulation problem.

Really torn here whether to get him or stick with my OG Chewie. Don't really need him tbh, but it looks soooo good.

I guess will probably wait and see how he turns out in production. Getting that accuracy in the hair colouring won't be easy for them.

This proto is really nice i.m.o. If I was collecting rebels I'd probably have to buy this...

Back