1/6 Hot Toys - MMS664-D48 - Iron Man - Iron Man Mark 3 (2.0 For Real This Time!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah shocking… 25 pages what? It’s the most iconic iron man and probably the best iron man figure ever, I actually think that the 1/6 market and marvel specifically is seeing extreme fatigue.
So I've been collecting 1/6 Iron for years, my first being MMS110 the first Battle Damaged Mark III figure, and when this figure was announced I was completely unenthused, that's when I knew I was done. Blogger photos and subsequent in-hand photos did little to change my opinion. The proportions are weird, the color is still off, and it just looks awkward when posed. The original diecast Mark III was already a huge miss, this figure needed to be a homerun to get me interested.

If they had basically miniaturized their 1/4 figure, minus the gimmicky LEDs, finally gotten the color and finish right, and ditched the silly Iron Monger base, then I would have had a hard time saying no. But that's just me. Diecast Mark VII still remains their best Iron Man figure to date, in my opinion.

I don’t think so. I scoured the internet for hours to find one close to retail price. All are marked up several hundreds of dollars. I don’t know why I feel like this was a sleeper release perhaps it was very limited?

I’m glad I didn’t overpay. I found one at a local comic shop in my home town a couple of days ago and got it for 15% under retail.

Just opened it up and I just love it
Congrats on the local grab, keeping my fingers crossed I can stumble upon one without paying an arm and a leg.

So I've been collecting 1/6 Iron for years, my first being MMS110 the first Battle Damaged Mark III figure, and when this figure was announced I was completely unenthused, that's when I knew I was done. Blogger photos and subsequent in-hand photos did little to change my opinion. The proportions are weird, the color is still off, and it just looks awkward when posed. The original diecast Mark III was already a huge miss, this figure needed to be a homerun to get me interested.

If they had basically miniaturized their 1/4 figure, minus the gimmicky LEDs, finally gotten the color and finish right, and ditched the silly Iron Monger base, then I would have had a hard time saying no. But that's just me. Diecast Mark VII still remains their best Iron Man figure to date, in my opinion.

This about sums up my feelings. I got this figure during a busy period for me, so I wasn't able to do much posing with it (and still haven't). I like that I can put together a look from the end of the movie with the (partial) BD suit, unhelmeted head, and crushed helmet. But for all its faults, I like the proportions more on the first diecast Mark III, so I haven't brought myself to sell it quite yet (though I need to sell one of my Mark IIIs). It would have been an easier decision if they had just shrunk the 1/4 scale figure for this release.

The diecast Mark VII is a bit more impressive, but I can't get past the torso proportions on that figure (and the Mark VII suit will always come in second to the Mark III for me).

The diecast Mark VII is a bit more impressive, but I can't get past the torso proportions on that figure (and the Mark VII suit will always come in second to the Mark III for me).
The Mark VII has A LOT going for it, but I can't get past the whippet-thin legs in the knee area. I'm well aware that the movie model has unrealistic proportions as well, and would never fit a human inside it, but I think the HT design has exaggerated the issue. I loved the armour but every day those legs made it look like a droid to me.

The original diecast Mark III was already a huge miss, this figure needed to be a homerun to get me interested.

If they had basically miniaturized their 1/4 figure, minus the gimmicky LEDs, finally gotten the color and finish right, and ditched the silly Iron Monger base, then I would have had a hard time saying no.

:exactly:

The Mark VII has A LOT going for it, but I can't get past the whippet-thin legs in the knee area. I'm well aware that the movie model has unrealistic proportions as well, and would never fit a human inside it, but I think the HT design has exaggerated the issue.

This has kept me from a lot of HT IM figures. Particularly their slender-waisted Mk XLVI (one of my favorite armors).

The Mk III will always be tops IMO, but no more 1/2 grand “we fixed it this time” figs for me.

So was this release a dud? I feel like not many people really talked about it once released...
Yeah shocking… 25 pages what? It’s the most iconic iron man and probably the best iron man figure ever, I actually think that the 1/6 market and marvel specifically is seeing extreme fatigue.
It seems orders were closed early, not many were made and the few that did make it out to retailers went fast. I was hoping for a waitlist conversion but I don’t think it’s going to happen.

Part of it has to be we’ve all seen these Iron Man figures hang around until they’re 25-30% off, so few wanted to commit to paying full retail price. But these days no pre-order means no figure.

Yeah it’s a combination of MCU stuff dying out and Hot Toys no longer overproducing their figures. The figure was on waitlist well before it released so now aftermarket prices are up. Just compare this to the Mark 85 figure, that sells well below retail pricing due to how widely available it still is.

To my eye the proportions are not really an issue with this figure. I mean maybe if you are going for accuracy it is I’d argue the mark 3 1.0 was more accurate, the same thing that bothered me with the film suit vs. mark 4 is those silly little skinny thighs and massive shoulder armor.

Maybe there’s something with the armor shape and details that I’m missing and is totally off- I’m actually not really good with stuff like that. What I am good with is anatomy and proportions. To me this is way more proportionate than the mark 3 1.0 and from what I can see the movie suit, which maybe rubs some people the wrong way but I prefer it just looking more balanced overall.

As for the color I always thought the first version was too shiny and bright red but to me this color is perfect. I’m looking at the film at least to my eye it looks more accurate than the finish on the HT mark 6.

For the record I also think that mark 3 1/4 has the same issues of not being film accurate in the proportions, but also looks better than the actual film suit.

I think the real issue is that people, myself included are understandably pissed they had to re buy their third (at minimum) mark 3, for a huge inflated price and struggle to get rid of their mark 3 1.0 for less than half of the price it cost.

But to me that should not take away how nice this figure is.

I actually wanted the very first HT BD Mark III and missed out. Ended up picking up the first HT Mark VI from IM2 and started my HT journey. I have always wanted a MK III and the first DC MK III with that weird waist piece was not my cup of tea. Now many years later, I am glad to have picked up this DC 2.0 and I absolutely loved it. Is the color off? Sure it is. But it is the best MKIII? Probably, until a DC 3.0 in 2028, perhaps. I have been pretty busy these days to really open stuff up to pose them, but when I do, like for this one, it is really a fun experience. I would recommend this one to anyone who wants a MK III but hasn’t pulled the trigger one way or another.

Back